When to apply tape for stripes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd Rather Be Blown

Last journal entry: Paint remover
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When to apply tape for stripes

I am painting my 67 Camaro. I want to do black with Blue SS (Z28) Stripes. I am using Omni (pPg) MBC Acrylic base coat and MC16 high solids Urethane clear coat.
In the info sheet for base it says (under dry time) 45 min to tape. Is this the time I wait after putting down the final coat of blue. Before I put on the stripe stencil and then put down the black???????? or is that how long to wait before I pull the tape. How long do I have to wait before I pull the tape (stencil) and start the clear??????? Side note dry times 5-10 between coats. Tape 45 min Clear: 20 min 24 hours max .. So my question is .. How long after the blue till I can put the stencil on so I can paint the Black. How ling till I can take the stencil off to start the clear???????????? What prep should I do after the stencil comes off and before I start the clear

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Last photo:

What does your apec sheet say for max recoat time of the base. Usually BC/CC system can go a max of 24 hours before recoat of the base. I would not go anywhere near that long however I sure would not try tape on a base that was only 10 or 20 minutes dry.

Vince
Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

There are actually two different ways you can do this: The first one is wait at least an hour after you shoot the last coat of blue, then lay down your stencil. Spray out your stripes then after your last coat of color pull off your stencil wait an hour or two then lay down your clear. The danger of doing it this way is your stencil is very sticky, not like the fine line tape. And it may possibly pull off some of that fresh blue base, and also if you get some stripe color on your blue somewhere you will have to go back and rebase those areas as well. If everything goes smoothly this is the fastest way to do it. The second way takes a little longer but it is much safer. After your blue base flashes go ahead and clear the whole car at least two coats where the stripes will be. Wait a couple days then wet sand the stripe panels with 1000 grit, lay down your stencil, then base your stripes. Pull off your stencil, now if you have some stripe color over your blue somewhere you can just wipe it clean off with a little reducer. Because your clear is protecting your blue base. Then you can proceed to lay down your final coats of clear.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've done it a few ways but 4 spd's is the best way for me...with the exception of the 1000 grit ,I use 600 ....
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I'd Rather Be Blown

Last journal entry: Paint remover
Last photo:

4 speed thank you. the way you explain it makes it very easy to understand. the 2 day wait makes the most sense. I should have figgured that out on my own. I have one question after the blue you say clear the whole car???? I am assuming you mean clear all the blue and not the primer that has not been painted. OK 2 questions when i sand for the stencil i will need to sand all of the clear so the black base will stick.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

I had some stencils made up for me with avery paint mask.. I probably waited an hour after the stripe color, applied, sprayed the base, waited until it flashed, removed, then cleared (I mean, the whole process probably took 8 hours. Not as quick as I make it sound). No problem with the base lifting. Depends on your stencil material.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Not sure by what you mean about the primer, I was figuring you were basing the whole car? Mabey your not spraying your jambs yet? Anyway yes you clear the whole car (all the blue base). Then when you get ready to lay out your stencil you wet sand your whole hood, cowl pan, upper front valence, trunklid, etc., Then lay out your stencil ,base your black then unmask and lay down your final coats of clear, how ever many you need. When I lay down stripes on a camaro I will usually put down all the final coats of clear on everything that is not being striped in the first round of clearcoat so after I put on the stripes I don't have to reclear the whole car (fenders, doors, etc.). But you want at least two coats on your striped panels on your first round of clear. As JohnnyK has pointed out some stencils are stickier than others, I know the 3M stencil kit for the camaros are REAL sticky. If you want to take the chance on putting over your fresh base, it may be fine, BUT if it pulls off somewhere you will have quite a mess on your hands.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I've done it a few ways but 4 spd's is the best way for me...with the exception of the 1000 grit ,I use 600 ....
Heres how do a nice job.....
paint the whole car blue and clear (two coats of clear)wait a day or two ,sand the whole car (600) lay out the stencil,mask off the rest of the car so no over spray gets on it,spray base on the stripes ,unmask the car ,after you check and recheck to make sure everything is crisp and no overspray anywhere then spray two coats of clear on the whole car. wait a couple days sand (600) paying attention the lines of the stripe ,you want to sand out the line but be careful dont sand it to much or try to get the lines out all the way yet.when the whole car is sanded give it 2-4 more coats of clear .then in a couple days you cut and buff, this is where you make sure the lines are completely gone( the cut and buff) and you cant feel anything when you rub your hands acroos the stripes.
You cant sand the lines out of the base so you have to bury them in clear and level the clear ( the lines in the base are still there but burried and un noticeable) .having a coat of clear on the car before you spray the stripes allows you to touch up any over spray that gets under the tape especally around tight corners where one side always lifts up if the tape is pulled to tight getting it to bend..remasking inbetween the coats is optional but if you want perfection it should be done.it takes a lot of time.Most guys just tape the on the base without clearing first (and it looks great because they know what theyare doing) but sometimes you can see where the tape was if the (blue ) base wasnt completely dry ....it"s happend to me thats why I clear before I lay out my stripes....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.