When Daddy let me Drive ! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When Daddy let me Drive !

My grandson has been visiting with us and helping me do some very hard work. He's 15 and he wants to drive every thing and every chance he gets. If he was to have an accident while driving my 5 on the floor Nissan PU or the auto Yota the liability for me could be devastating to say the least. However, I remember my parents and grandparents accepting that responsibility and letting me drive on some of the back roads when I was young and eager so I let him get behind the wheel whenever I feel it's safe. How many of Y'all do or have done the same thing?

I guess old Alan Jackson was right, eh?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched ratchet For This Useful Post:
lt1silverhawk (07-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Yep. 1966 IH pickup. 266 with a 4 speed granny. I got to drive it around the property many times with my Dad.
Along with drivers Ed ,I was ready at 16 for a drivers liscense.
Pics below are My first (legal) car and my now car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Pics 018.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	66760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0112.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	66761  
Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Yep, 1955 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe. I helped Dad re-ring and valve the original 261 6-banger at about age 9. He bought a new car in 1967 (I was 10), and said I could have the Pontiac.

I was allowed to drive it once in awhile after age 12, when my legs were long enough to reach the pedals.

We lived in a very small hamlet (pop. 52), so my friends and I would drive out to the dugout for skating / hockey scrimmage. Never, ever, recall seeing any police vehicles in that town. Dad and I also went on a few father-son trips via back roads to the next town.

Found my freedom, and lost my innocense in that old car.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I grew up on a farm and was driving tractors from the time I could climb up in the seat and kinda reach the pedals.. Drove a 56 Roadmaster out to herd the cows in at milking time.. Sometimes the mile into town to get gas. Needless to say. The drivers Ed teacher, on the first day says. Go wherever you want. I know you've been driving half of your lifetime..

My youngest daughter had the bug early. She drove a Harley-Davidson golf cart from about seven and I used to let her help move/bring in cars from storage out in the old barns here.

When she was about thirteen I gave her the keys to bring in an old Studebaker that going to be re-done. She had about a 400 ft run downhill thru a field of scrub brush when a brake line let go. I can still see her eyes, wide open and determined to get her stopped.. Turned off the key, car still rollin, fast. She drove it into a small bunch of sapplings and stopped on top of one.. Gets out and says "Darn thing almost got away from me"
Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Wow...brings back some memories. My folks put me behind the wheel at age 12 (with their accompaniment, of course). Sitting on a pillow at the helm of a 1953 Ford Customline. 3 speed on the column, and a real stretch to the pedals. We lived in a rural area with very few vehicles cruising by, so I don't think I ever put any other drivers at risk. When I turned 16 and took my driver's test in a 1948 Plymouth, after completing the road course, the officer asked me how long I had been driving. I told him just since I got my learner's permit. His response was "Yeah...right". I guess I did OK !
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

The first thing I drove was an old farmall tractor, then moved up to a 53 willys p/u that had a very sweet 283 in her and no brakes. The exhaust was nothing more than some pipe to get it passed the big hole in the floor. I learned to do a power slide out of necessity. This was "the kids" farm truck that we drove out to the pond to be teenagers.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
I was so lucky being out in farm country and could drive any time I wanted but not only that my dad was a car salesmen who brought home often a different car every night. We would go fishing, sometimes overnight and I never remember bringing one of our cars, we would take a stationwagon and sleep in it or a truck with a camper. But also fond memories of Vega GTs (we are talking new cars) and stuff like that. Then when I got a license I would go with him to work and bring home cars off the lot! Mustang Machs, Slap Stick Duster, etc. God did he let me get away with murder. RIP Dad

Brian
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

I used to take the tractor through the burger joint drive thru, it was fine back then. Brian, those are great memories to have!
Brad...
The Following User Says Thank You to Prof. T. Soggmeyer For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-14-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My Dad and his brothers loved fishing, we lived in N. Minnesota. They also loved playing cards and drinking, I would drive. About 10 years old, driving through the north country, getting chastised if I didn't keep it smooth enough that a whiskey seven didn't spill, all good naturedly, after all, they were having a blast, being away from the wives and off work. Good memories. Today they would be arrested, jailed, ostracized in the media and fined. I had a hoot, I was one of the guys, sipping on straight seven-up and feeling very grown up.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

That would be a "Virgin Seven & Seven" you had there Dan.

Brian
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Cool stories, Gents, I had no idea that this thread would get that many responses.

WR
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

I guess I was 10 or so when Dad pulled me out of school for a week to drive the truck to haul hay, 59 Dodge PU with a 318 and 4 speed with granny first. Then when I got a little older I had to haul the hay by myself, you would put the truck in granny and point it down the row of hay bales and let it idle along, jump out and load the hay, jump back in the cab at the end of the row and turn it around.......
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Was 11 or 12 when I was told to load the hay truck and go feed the horses. Was an old 67 chevy 1 ton with a 283 and a 4 sp. I wish I could do the same for my daughter right now. Got both her and my 10 year old boy driving the boat which is a start to say the least. Started my step daughter driving when she was 10 and now she's 21 and never had an accident or gotten nailed for speeding. It's a shame that we don't get the opportunity to allow our kids to learn the way we did...just look at insurance rates for kids now. In some cases learning to drive on the gravel teaches a lot more to a kid than having a driving school instructor teach them on the pavement...just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

One of the first things I did with my oldest when I was teaching him to drive in my Gran Sport was go get out into a parking lot and throw the car around a little. The first time it happens can't be in an emergency for goodness sakes!

Funny this thread should come back up it was just a day or so ago when it was brought to my attention that my son will be getting his learners permit in two months! OMG, he is going to be 15 and a half in just two months. I have decided that he is going to learn how to drive in my Rambler. It is a three on the tree so it isn't going to be as easy as moms family truckster but I think a lot more meaningful. And if he can drive this 53 year old car around he will be able to drive the late models with ease.

Brian
Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Does six laps around the Autopia at Disneyland count? I remember proudly the day I could walk up to the sign and hit my head!
BB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.