Hot Rod Forum banner

When did Jeeprods start?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  xxllmm4 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm curious, is the Jeeprod fad a new thing? When was the first time you remember seeing one?

It seems like a pretty cool idea, a lot of directions you could go on them. I just saw one that was setup like a T-bucket. I'm thinking it might be fun to set one up kinda like an Altered, T-bucket-jeeprod

#5 ·
They are really few and far between around here. I have seen a couple as dragsters with stretched glass bodies but I was thinking it would be a pretty fun alternative to a T-bucket.

I was thinking a Buick Nailhead would look pretty sweet.
This pic is kinda what I was thinking about.

Attachments

#6 ·
There were a couple around my area about 15 years ago, 1 really odd early 80's CJ that someone had straight axled and put an honest to goodness 426 hemi in....and before you say it couldn't have fit....it really did. For a kid, or a non "car guy" it looked like any other jeep, but was an uncontrolable wheelie machine....he would come out to the street races and do very well with it.....but it was amazing to watch....
Then there is a local builder that did an early willy's jeep, but all tube chassis under the shell...large money spent on it and was like any other quality streetrod build.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info guys,

My Dad said there was a guy in highschool who dropped a V8 into an old Jeep, he said it would smoke all 4 tires and beat anything including vettes for the first 100 feet, this was in 64. As expected he also said it didn't last long LOL.

My personal preference is to do a late 60's style rod for my next project. So this just might be "period correct" maybe not a popular option but I think it would be fun and probably fairly inexpensive for the rolling Chassis.

#9 ·
When I was in my early teens there was an article in a magazine (HotRod possibly?) about how easy it was to put a Ford 289 into a WWII era Jeep.

As I recall, you had to put the left hand exhaust manifold on upside down and do a custom pipe from there, but I do not recall anything else about the article.

That would have been about 1964 or so.....

#10 ·
different Jeep ?

In the mid 60's my brother had a 53 Jeep wagon with a buick nailhead and a warn OD that worked in 2 and 4 wd, 12 forward speeds. 4 reverse. the body was dented and some cancer , He found pieces of 3 57 corvettes , put the vette body on the jeep chassis, He had a 3 in pipe front bumper. He said a lot of people took a double take when he was driving thru tall brush going hunting.

#11 ·
A few years back I built a 1950 jeep painted it light gray with a rebel flag on the hood ,installed a stock 455 Buick engine with an adaptor from Trans Dapt we tried to drive it ,it was a Death Trap,i took pictures of it ,then dismantled it sold it in pieces ,would not sell as a whole,:evil::evil::evil:

#13 ·
That looks awesome, I kept the 4 wheel drive ,drove it around about 30 minutes to make sure every think worked good .then got it up to about 30mph full throttled It bursted front windshield fell in my lap ,broke rr spring ,twisted the body so bad the top would not go back on ,,so I junked it,

Big Buick ,way to much Torque.:nono:

#14 ·
Just like to say thanks to the owner, and moderators of this website for not being nuts. I posted a question similar to this asking for some old school rod-jeep pics on "the other" traditional website and it was taken down. I guess there was too many old school Jeep threads? LOL they are freaking nuts over there!

#15 ·
When I was a kid growing up in Duluth, Mn., there was a guy that totaled out his newer GTO, 66, if I remember right. . The running gear went into a Willys wagon, 1953 or so, wicked fast, pulled wheelies, and the guy had a ball with it.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! Looking back on what I can find, it seems it was somewhat common too see glass dragster bodies at the track in the 60's ?? However looking through my old Rod & Custom mags I can't seem to find a single example. Maybe just not their style?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.