Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   When do you buy tools? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/when-do-you-buy-tools-126434.html)

crash70rs 10-17-2007 11:11 AM

When do you buy tools?

I've been buying as I need 'em / break 'em.. But thats been getting aggravating.. as I never have what I need. (makes for many trips to the store).

Im getting ready to just make a big purchase of all the basic stuff I need..

When do you guys buy tools?

AntnyL 10-17-2007 11:55 AM

I buy tools when I need them, or THINK that I'll need them. I try to plan ahead, rarely succeeding!

Antny

oldred 10-17-2007 12:46 PM

Whenever I see them! :D

No joke buy quality and you will rarely if have have to replace one unless you lose it.

propaneburner 10-17-2007 01:16 PM

Every time I got money left, kind of a toolfreak I gues.
What is said , buy good quality
And using it al and have never enough.

Wander.

rowbow23 10-17-2007 09:24 PM

When do you by tools

I am always on the lookout for tools, but I look for bargains. If I see a uneasily tool I try to figure out what is for or how can I use it. I don't like to go to town and pay full price for a tool that I haft to have. The same goes for bolts, nuts, screws and other supplies. It cost to much and takes to much time to chase these things. Every once in awhile on of those oddball tools will payoff. Having work around a tool crib you grow an appriciation for what tools can do for you.
I am fortunate to have a couple of file cabinets that was used for microfilm cards. These drawers are just a little taller than the width of card. These cabinets are about the all around same size as a regular four drawer file cabinet. And are 2 drawers wide and 10 rows high. 1/2 height of a plastic quart oil makes a good contianer for small thing. I can get 2 of the squarish or 3 retanglish containers inside the width a drawer and I don't know right now how many deep. But the point is there is plenty of storage and a way to get things sorted and organized. I think I paid $75 for the last one. Sorry about wondering off of the subject a little.

SteveU 10-18-2007 08:54 AM

I try to anticipate what I'll need for jobs that I know will have to be done in the future & order them beforehand to keep from having to go to town & pay full retail. This works on scheduled maintenance, its the unforeseen things that still get you from time to time.

matt167 10-18-2007 07:51 PM

when I need tools, I buy them. HF stuff mostly, but it's where, buying is cheaper than the tool rental. like last week, I needed a balancer puller. would have cost $5-10 to rent 1. for $10 I now own 1, if it lasts for a few uses, I'v got my money's worth. When I was doing a lot of brake lines on a car, I needed flare nut wrenches, well HF didn't have them so I spent $37 on a Craftsmen Pro
5 pc set

oldred 10-18-2007 11:20 PM

Matt is this the puller set you are talking about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37824

I got mine for 5 bucks on sale :) and I have used and abused it to no end and that thing does a good job and is holding up well. I have replaced some of the grade 5 bolts with grade 8 but for all but the most severe jobs the grade 5 will work just fine. That little outfit is one HF's real bargains and is one tool from there I would recommend. They also have a dandy power steering pulley remover that is a fraction of the "real" tool cost but it too works really well and seems indestructible, I think I got that one too for about $5.

powerrodsmike 10-19-2007 12:10 AM

I buy stuff as I need it, or when i see something that looks cool. I go to swap meets, garage sales and flea markets. Ebay and craigslist too. I pick up stuff that just looks cool, especially if it a good price.

I am always on the lookout for tools. Sometimes, I even find them in the street. Freeway on ramps are a good place to watch the outside of the curve. Tools fall off of worktrucks all the time.
If I see it . I'll stop. Just 2 weeks ago I found a nice set of Thomas & Betts crimping pliers in the middle of an intersection....I stopped traffic to rescue that set. :thumbup:

Sitting in freeway traffic is always a good time to scan the shoulder. One day I found a really good set of channel lock water pump pliers.

Sometimes I'll buy a tool even if I already have one....or 2 or 3 or 4. You never know when one will break....and they never break when you don't need it.....Duh :P

I've been collecting tools since I was 11.

I don't buy too much Harbor Freight or import stuff, but sometimes I have too. If I do, I try to replace it with quality stuff as soon as I can.

You can never have too many tools. As long as you use them. I hate toolbox queens.

Later, mikey

crash70rs 10-19-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike

You can never have too many tools. As long as you use them. I hate toolbox queens.

Later, mikey

Thats what I try to tell my girlfriend.. she just doesn't get it though.

Her line is always "don't you have that one already" to which my response "I have one like it, but that one will work much better"

Unfortunatly I usually don't get it.. then cuse a whole bunch when I could have used it.. usually the next day when one of our cars breaks down.. :smash:

I've been noticing it much better to just suck it and spend the $$$ on good tools. I have too many cheapo's that explode if you look at them the wrong way, or just aren't the correct size.
On some occasions cheapo's are good.. like the cruddy cast wrench things which a socket on the other side.. god's gift for getting header bolts! :thumbup:

oldred 10-19-2007 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Sometimes, I even find them in the street.
Later, mikey

If you had been traveling US 25 E in Southeast KY a few months back you might have spotted a nice nearly new Proto 24" breaker bar that I abandoned beside the road after I ran over a piece of exhaust pipe and destroyed a tire. I was already upset over the tire but to add insult to injury it was raining so I changed the tire and threw everything into the back of the truck, well almost everything, then drove home and went to dry and put away the tools-no breaker bar :mad: I just hope it found a good home.

powerrodsmike 10-19-2007 09:04 AM

A 24" breaker bar would be worth stopping for, that's for sure.

Just know that when I find a tool in the road, I always feel only good thoughts for the guy who lost it...so hopefully...someone....somewhere ....is thanking you every time he uses that breaker bar.

I used to live on a well traveled street .(county dump access road.. :thumbup: )Right in front of my house there was a big bump in the asphalt where a root from a big old pine tree was pushing it up.

Whenever a truck would hit that bump at speed it would pitch the bed up and anything that wasn't secured would fly out..
So along with the bags of garbage and tree cuttings and construction debris, I'd find other things...One day I found a Snap on 3/8 drive 24" extension, another time I found a set of channel lock 10" linemans pliers, another time a craftsman hand held vacuum pump...

You know another place to pick up tools is at estate sales. I like those because many times the tools that old guys have are very high quality. And I'm sure that the dead guy would be proud to know his tools found a new home where they will be appreciated. many times the prices are VERY good. ( Just last month, I bought a nearly new, Milwaukee electric shear for 15 dollars! I already had one, but for 15.00 I can afford to have 2 :thumbup: )

Can you tell I am very sentimental about my tools? I also have the collection that my grandfather left me, as well as all of my stepfather's collection of machinists tools and measuring equipment that he gave me a short while before he died. I bought a bunch of milwaukee grinders and electric tools from my sister in law after her husband died, she didn't need them ,but she appreciated the cash at a time when she needed it.

I hope someday when I am dead, someone will appreciate my collection, gathered from many sources.

Later, mikey

73oldsman 10-19-2007 09:13 AM

Buy'em when I need'em, but thanks to the loaner program at some of the parts stores I haven't had to fork over the dough for the tools I only need to use every few years or so. I do pick them up at garage sales rarely when and if I go and do watch for sales at Sears...Craftsman brand tools! :thumbup:

35WINDOW 10-19-2007 10:03 AM

I buy it if I think I'll need it (and sometimes when it's just something I have to have :D ). I try and plan a few weeks ahead so if I'm doing a task and the Tool man doesn't have it it'll be here in time. I attend Storage Sales, and I've bought a couple of completely full roll-aways, air and electric Tools pretty reasonably.

I do have some HF stuff (mostly for those one or two times uses), but I generally will buy top of the line stuff if I'm keeping it for long-term continuous use.

bigbadbowtie 10-19-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73oldsman
Buy'em when I need'em, but thanks to the loaner program at some of the parts stores I haven't had to fork over the dough for the tools I only need to use every few years or so. I do pick them up at garage sales rarely when and if I go and do watch for sales at Sears...Craftsman brand tools! :thumbup:

I do exactly the same...I have found some killer deals at garage and estate sales. My neighbor is also a heavy equipment mechanic for the city. He usually has what I need.