when to say "when" with bodywork?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 10:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

when to say "when" with bodywork??

Hi gang,

I've been working on my '66 Chevelle for 7 years now- I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but this is the first car I've basically put completely back together.. It needed rear quarters, floor pans, trunk, and a million other bits of metal welded in, and thanks to this project I am now a skilled welder-

My issue is this.. I have been working on the car non-stop, and the time has basically come to take it somewhere for paint. I don't have a lot of money to throw at a paint job, and have tried very hard to do my best with the bodywork. There is currently 0 bondo in the car, and I'm proud of how it currently looks without it. However, I'm always working on something on the body, wanting to make the car just a little better- As a result, I'm holding up the process of going the next step, which is letting go and having the final prep done and the paint applied. The biggest reasons I can think of are:

1. I'm afraid of how it will look when it's done, ie all of my flaws will be able to be seen by all

2. I won't be able to go back and do "little" fixes, if something IS visible with the paint, b/c that will take me right back to sand/prep/primer again...

My biggest question is, am I being too much of a nit-pick? I really think I owe it to myself at this point to get the car painted and "finish" the job- I'm just really scared to have a coat of paint make all my hard work look like total crap..

Please let me know what you think, and if you've ever been on the same hump yourself, I'd love to hear about it..

Regards,

CHEV66JB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 01:12 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Yep.... been there, done that. My sons 69 mustang. It was my first complete body job and full of scrapes, dents, and dings but no rust. Took 5 years on and off. Every time I thought I was ready for paint my painter said not good enough. Half way thru the painter told me I had done some basic things wrong that could haunt me later (like lacquer primer and sitting outside for months). I finally got the car ready after learning from my mistakes (I was trying to fix dents instead of looking at each panel as a repair) and after he painted it I could tell my nit-pic efforts were in fact worthwhile. But he also warned me that there is a point where you just have to stop. There is no perfection. My best efforts were spent in the skim coat and blocking and sandable heavy build primer and blocking with a guide coat. And did I mention blocking??? The car came out very well but there are always spots I can see that I wish I could have done better. Your final wet sanding is a pretty good indicator of what the finish will look like. I used PPG Deltron 2 stage original color Alcapulco Blue

Last edited by 2-manytoyzs; 05-31-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:00 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you think it is ready, get it painted. The first time you look at it painted, do so from about 10 feet away. Look at it like you would anyone else's car. Then after enjoying it, you can look closer. Don't look for flaws, look at the whole picture. There are no perfect cars out there. If you look hard enough, you can find something wrong with any of them.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well, my first attempt at a full body work job was much less than perfect. Let me give you this advice: If there is anything you can see or feel now, keep working at it. Bodywork is the last thing you want to rush. I got my S-10(my second full body and first full paint) to the point I could not find any imperfections. When I shot it, the body turned out damned straight, but there are still a few little things that showed up. I guarantee that the paint will magnify the smallest dimple and make it look like big narly dent.

What I did was work on other things on the truck to take a break from the body work. I must have block sanded for 100 hours, but it was damned rought when I started.

Chris
Old 06-02-2004, 08:52 AM

Re:

Thanks to all of you for your input- The thing I keep trying to remember is the car was a step away from the crusher when I got it, so I should be very proud of how far it has come already.. I'm just so blasted detail-oriented, and don't want to get the car back from being painted and have someone say "what happened here?" or "missed a spot eh?"- I know it will be hard, but I also don't have the money to have a professional go over it with a fine tooth comb so I have to go with what I can. I'm still working on her, and hope to have the last of the issues completed by end of June (was end of May).

Thanks again,

CHEV66JB

PS: if you'd like to see the car in its current state, you can see it here.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:49 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Why don't you paint it yourself? Who's been doing all of the primer work? If you can spray primer you can do the topcoat just as well.
I would suggest blocking the car down with 220 grit, spraying on a couple of heavy coats of epoxy primer surfacer and blocking it again. This should get the surface level enough for paint and, if there ARE any problems, you will see them. Respray primer if you have to and then blow on some paint... If you have to invest in the equipment do that instead of giving the money away for the paint job...
Mark
Old 06-02-2004, 02:29 PM

Re:

Mark,

Thanks for your input- I had actually considered that, but was concerned that it might be a bad move since the paint is usually pretty expensive. I have never done that before, and don't know how much paint I would need or any of those details. I would love to learn, as I've learned all of the other things myself that needed to be done.. I have an air compressor and a garage, but figured that everything else in the garage would end up the same color as the car

As for the epoxy primer, does that have to be applied with a spray gun? The primer currently on the car is good ole Rustoleum..

Thanks,

CHEV66JB
Old 06-02-2004, 02:31 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

bondo, sand, primer, over and over and over until i finally realized i wasnt getting anywhere!!!! see my truck.

in the end, the place to take it to to get painted will smear it all over with glaziing compound and sand it all smooth if you -and i know you will- take it to a place that does great work.

enough already!!
Old 06-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Ohhh......Boy.

Rustoleum. That is not too great for automotive. You definately need to seal it well. If you have not done all the block sanding and everything, I would concider sanding it off and going with an automotive grade. What do you all think?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 PM

Re:

The more replies I read, the more ready I am to just drop it off and have it finished..
Old 06-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

You dont have to give up, just make a couple changes. I am curious, did you strip to bare metal? If you did, did you use a metal sealer or just the rustoleum?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:10 PM

Re:

About 98% of the car I have stripped down to the bare metal- Lemme know what other thoughts you may have.. I'm always open to learning more!

Regards,

CHEV66JB
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Ideally you should have coated the bare metal with an epoxy sealer. What happens is if you just use standard surfacer primer, which rustoleum is, it will absorb moisture and begin to rust underneath the primer. The epoxy also has much better adhesion. The first paint job I did I used filler primer(loxon) over then entire body and did not use a sealer. 10 years later the paint is still in pretty good shape, but soon after top coating with urethane there were areas where a few bubbles showed up.

It sounds like you have most all of the metal straigh and filler where needed. If it was me, I would strip it back to metal and filler and coat it with an expoxy. Then use filler primer to get everything perfect and seal with urethane or expoxy sealer. It is alot of work, but a failing paint job in the future would make you wish you had.

It is really your call, and hopfully some of the other guys will chime in. There are alot of guys with a ton more experience than me.

Chris
Old 06-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tubo s10

It sounds like you have most all of the metal straight and filler where needed. If it was me, I would strip it back to metal and filler and coat it with an expoxy. Then use filler primer to get everything perfect and seal with urethane or expoxy sealer. It is alot of work, but a failing paint job in the future would make you wish you had.

Chris [/B]
s10 has been doing his homework, Block it with 320

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 AM

Re:

Does the epoxy primer cost alot? Does it have to be applied with a spray gun (I'm assuming yes)- Sorry for what might seem like trivial questions to you guys, but I have never done bodywork to this extreme before.

Thanks,

CHEV66JB

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.