when is it too cold for 20/50 - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have one other question im runnin vr1 cause i know its ok for my flat tappett cam but i can onley finde it in thick grades if i decide to swith to 10/30 or something what other oil brands are safe for my cam that i can finde at any auto parts stores

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope
i have one other question im runnin vr1 cause i know its ok for my flat tappett cam but i can onley finde it in thick grades if i decide to swith to 10/30 or something what other oil brands are safe for my cam that i can finde at any auto parts stores
NAPA stores can order VR1 10-30 for you if not in stock. That is what I run. Forget about trying to get it from Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.. It is not on their stock order pads an they will not go out of their way to get it.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM

I agree with most of what has been said about 20w50 such as- it's not necessary, you shouldn't build engines on the loose side that live on the street, thick oil doesn't reach places...etc,etc,etc...

BUT

I'll give you my scenario- 327 large journal from 69- ok, took her apart after sitting in my dad's garage on a stand for 30 years, re-ringed her and new bearing, didn't have the crank turned, no machine work, dingle-berry honed it with a slow drill, new cam, lifters, standard oil pump, vortec heads...etc, etc,etc. Now when I miked the journals I was looking at .0022-.0025 on the mains, I forget what the rods were, I think a big bigger, maybe on the side of .0027. Ok, so 10w30 VR-1... 20lbs. hot idle 45-50lbs WOT @ 5,000.

I went to 20w50 VR-1 for a couple of reasons

#1- I ended up replacing the hydralic replica L79 cam for a solid lifter that was good to 6,200 rpm. so I needed more oil pressure and the only way to get it was thicker oil

#2- In the summer, it's hot in NC and I was looking for cooler oil temps during this season

#3- same as has been mentioned before, VR-1 in 10w30 is now hard to find so I went 20w50. Also, NAPA will order it but in my location it was $68 for a case + shipping Hell, Brad Penn down here is cheaper than that.

With 20w50 VR-1 hot idle 40lbs , WOT @ 6,000 65lbs.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Bench racer

Last photo:

GenYnNC,
As you point out, 20W-50 is the right oil for your engine.
I'm glad you posted this because it could have sounded like I was saying that no one should ever run heavy oils in a street engine and that's not my opinion. A quality oil that provides 10 PSI/ 1000 RPM is what I feel is best. That oil is 20W-50 for you but it might be 5W-30 for someone else's engine.
This is good re-enforcement for the concept that their is no best weight oil across the board, rather that one needs to select the oil weight that is right for their particular engine in their particular environment.

I do the same thing you did. When I first start running a new engine I start with 10W30 and adjust the weight from there to get the proper pressure.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 AM

Agreed SlowGTA

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.