when is it too cold for 20/50 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

when is it too cold for 20/50

what degree would u say it would be to cold for 20/50 oil with winter sneeking up i forgot i have 20/50 in all my v8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I guess the first question would be to determine why you are using 20/50 in the first place. Unless your engines are remarkably worn or were built with much larger tolerances, 5/30, 10/30, or 10/40 are almost always more than adequate.

I run 5/30 in the winter in PA and 10/30 in the summer

Cad 500
Pontiac 389
multiple chevys.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm running 20/50 too. If I use the lower viscosity's, I burn about a quart every 600 miles. The 20/50 goes about 8-9 hundred. Must have been a bad hone job on my engine. Burned "some" oil from day one.

It's still hot here but when the mornings are in the 40's, i'll go back to 10-30 or 10-40. Got about 3 cases of each! LOL

Mark
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

my race engine in my camaro was built with larger tolerances but my most fresh engines a mopar 366 i run 20/50 in because thats what my engine builder recomended
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...ileage_usa.pdf

castrol 20w/50 says to use above 20 degrees.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope
what degree would u say it would be to cold for 20/50 oil with winter sneeking up i forgot i have 20/50 in all my v8s
Here in Seattle, which admittedly is always wetter than Salem and is a bit warmer in winter and a little cooler in summer but pretty similar otherwise; I run 15W-40 Delo year round in my truck and Hog.

Bogie
Old 10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

On a loose engine you can run it almost year round. One of our customers is a cab and he runs 20-50 year round and typically gets 225 to 250K out of his cars, we have never changed an engine for him. Only once I remember he had trouble getting it to crank due to heavy oil and that was on a rare below zero morning here in MA.

Chet
Old 10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I think you need to keep in mind exactly what you are running.

In my old trucks SBC I run straight 50.

I tried once to run 10~30 & was getting a hot knock & oil pressure drop.

I also crank them a bit before I stab the carb before the bust off.

They are no where near new

Newer engines have very tight specs. & would most likely the info would be found in the owners manual or you could contact the dealer.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

I used to run 20-50 in my VW's they got hard to start when the temp was below 30. You could probably get away with colder temps and synthetic oil. But if your burning oil you dont want synthetic

Most oil manufactures have oil pour points somewhere, you may want to check them out. You also may want to do a freezer test for yourself. Pour a half inch of oil in a Dixie cup, put it in the freezer over night and see what you get. I was shocked how thick conventional 10-40 was.

Jordon
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I've been running 20-50 year round since the first oil change after I installed the 302 in my old Ford, it has over 135000 miles on the motor now, with 35-40 psi hot at idle, and 60-70 psi hot on the freeway.

The bearings were on the loose side....0014" IIRC.. I remember that because after I measured, the clearance was the max as listed in the chiltons manual...My machinist told me that it would be ok. I guess he was right

I'm in middle California, by the coast..It gets cold, but not real cold. (not like Mass..I lived there once )

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: Radio head unit
Last photo:

20/50 is too think for my blood

I run 15-40 Rotella in a stroker I built because my machinist advised me to. When I first start it I get way too much oil pressure (around 70 pounds at idle). If I rev it, I get above 80 pounds. I had to start it up after sitting outside in 20F temp. Not only did it crank real slow, it had lifter noise for about 90 seconds after starting because the oil was not getting through to properly lubricate the front of the motor.

Also when I was priming the bearings after initial assembly, I used a drill and was surprised how much effort the higher RPM took. That is a lot of resistance. I have normal Chevy tolerances (.002-.004).

Once I get a little heat in the motor I have normal pressure 20 @ low idle and 40-50 @ 2800RPM.

I am convinced that thick oil is bad for cold temperatures at start up. I also will never use a "high pressure" pump again. A normal pressure range is fine. Anything more than that is just wasted HP.

Keep in mind that engines have thermostats, so they run at the same temperature in the winter as they do in the summer. It is just the startup that requires the right viscosity to avoid oil starvation.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Ok... answers all over the board here.

Oil is one of those things that everyone seems to have experience with because their car ran for a few miles on a certain oil. I'll reduce it to something simple that I think we can all agree on...

What an engine requires is about 10 psi per 1000 rpms. In practice, most engines will produce more than that at hot idle, but you need to have at least that much at redline. The way it usually works out is this: Most properly done fresh rebuilds should run at 20-ish psi at hot idle and no more than 60-70 at redline (provided you aren't spinning past 6000-7000 rpm). Cold idle SHOULD NOT exceed 80-ish psi. Above that point, the bypass valve opens and starts pushing unfiltered oil throughout the engine. Its typical for a new build to show 70 psi cold (fast) idle, but any more is a waste.

Engine oil thickness has nothing to do with protection. That is to say that more isn't better. PROPER is better. If your engine was built to use 10/30 and you put 20/50 in it, then you can expect rather severe oil starvation at cold startup, and excessive oil pressure during hot running. Both of those situations can cause engine damage.

If you REALLY want to know what oil weight to use, install a good oil pressure gauge in a port that is as close to the oil pump as possible. Your target should be 15-20 at hot idle and 60 at hot redline (or whatever your redline is divided by 10). Look for 60-ish at cold idle. A little more is OK provided it falls between the min and max for hot operation. Anything more than 70-80 psi at cold idle is ridiculous and can actually turn a cheap oil filter into a mangled piece of shrapnel. The other important thing about using oil that is too thick is that it takes longer for it to "thin out" to a point where the bypass valve closes and starts sending oil through the filter. The extra thickness you think is providing more protection is actuall killing things because its spending much more time bypassing the filter.

The other thing that really should be examined is why a Mopar V8 street engine was designed with tolerances to use 20w50 oil. Either your builder was lying to you or you need a new builder. Its not the end of the world, but loose tolerances don't really help you on the street. You also have to understand that a fair amount of machinists might be masters of the build, but might not know squat about what their work means on the street. The bottom line is that he did one of two things; 1- built a mopar with loose enough tolerances that it needs 20w50, or 2- built a stock-tolerance mopar and then recommended the wrong oil. Either way, he isn't to be trusted. Not busting chops, but 20w50 is REALLY thick and the need for it on the street (or street/strip) is just not necessary. My last build done by a machine shop was a shortblock 468 BBC with flat top pistons. The builder recommended Dart's new 315cc heads and a bracket race cam with 256 degrees duration... on an engine that he knew was for my 1-ton truck that I was building to tow 10,000 lbs. He knew his machine work and was good at it, but how it translated to the vehicle... he was clueless.

I suggest you use the broad knowledge from the forum members to determine your requirements, not a single machinist who might or might not know the proper things. I think back to the first two engines I had built. I remember them like yesterday. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have run to another builder. I won't say I'm an expert, but when you combine all the recommendations from the experts here on the forum you might be able to add that to the advice you got from the builder and come up with a more logically derived solution.

My subtle opinion (take it or leave it) is that an engine built for street, strip, weekend warrior, cruiser, or anything making more than about 9" of idle vacuum (at proper tune) doesn't need anything but stock tolerances and a good stock or high volume oil pump. That applies to 95% of American V8s. If you're getting into things like many German engines, air cooled engines, or marine engines, that's a different story.

Last edited by curtis73; 10-09-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Here the theroy about the numbers on the Oil.
First Number stand for Tempature .
Second number stand for Vistocity.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

curtis73 i trust my life with my engine builder he is the best around here he has been at the same shope for 25 years owned it for 10 onley the best and smartest take there engines to him i will nerver take my engines anywhere else. i dident take it to some greasy floord machine shop i just laugh that u talk s*it about him.

i got his stickers all over my truck and everywhere i go people onley have good things to say when they see thoes stickers they know i dont mess around when it comes to my engines.

i allready contacted him to see what his opinion is just waiting to hear back. from now on im just going to contact him direct instead of takeing advice for someone online that i dont know squat
Old 10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Engine oil thickness has nothing to do with protection. That is to say that more isn't better.

So 3 'n' 1 is an oil, but you wouldn't run that in an engine now, would you?

I could shoot holes through your diatribe, but I just don't feel like typing that much. In your single post, you have stepped on a lot of toes.

Put down the Car Craft Magazine, and back away.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.