Hot Rod Forum banner

when is it too cold to run a compressor?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Dugg 
#1 ·
Just wondering when is it too cold to run a compressor? Outside its -6 while in my garage its around +3.

I just need to do a quick brake job. Im running a 24gal IR oiled unit

#5 ·
You guys are freezing me! :pain:

One big thing to watch for, and it don't have to get much below freezing, is water freezing in the small line to the unloader (check the compressor to see how the unloader works on the particular model) that can cause the pump to fail to relieve pressure while in the stop mode. When the tank pressure falls to the start setting the motor will then have to try and start the pump turning while under pressure which requires a great deal more torque. If the motor has enough starting torque and the belts are tight enough it may start ok but it still is a heck of a load on the motor and quite often it will fail to start and trip the breaker or it may start slowly causing overheating problems on the motor or it could damage the belts and possibly the motor itself, a drop of water is all it takes to cause some big problems!

#6 ·
home brew said:
Sometimes mine (which sits in an unheated garage) won't start it is so cold - usually about minus 30. I throw a tarp over it and plug in a car warmer for an hour or so and then it will start. Usually only use it to pump up tires at that time.
WOW! Thats cold!.....The lowest it ever gets here is about 10 degrees F. I use my compressor all winter.....it is inside my insulated shop. I have had the old Ingorsal Rand for over 25 years and its still going strong. I did have to replace the motor about 10 years ago...I upgraded from a 3 hp to a 5 hp. It sure made a lot of difference.

#7 ·
Using synthetic oil in your pump will make it easier for the motor to turn it over just like it does in your car. I use the ISO 100 amsoil PCK which has a pour point of something around -50*F and have ran the compressor which sits in an unheated shop when the low got down to -10*F no problem. You do have to watch out for water at those temps, even though the compressor ran fine I had to point the salamander at the tank to get the auto drain to work. After that I make sure to blow out the water when done running the compressor then shut the ball valve off at the tank to keep it from running while I'm not there & making more water to freeze up. If I lived where it was -30*F I would look at something in the ISO 46 or 20w range which pours at around -60*F. I use synthetics in everything I have & gone are the days of hearing things clatter on cold starts regardless of the temp. I use the same oil in the air tools as in the compressor & it seems to work at the same temps.

#8 ·
I'm going to move my compressor outside next spring - too much firewood stacked to move it now.

I am going to place a flat strip heater below the compressor itself wired to a line-voltage thermostat which will also be same enclosure as the whole compressor. Support the actual compressor unit on spacers so as not to crush the strip heater, but shim as needed to make sure the heater is touching the compressor crankcase.

I've purchased these small strip heaters from Grainger in the past and used them under the right angle worm gear reducer I used when I used to build powered gates and openers for private properties.

#12 ·
Hey Karl,

What's a pool?

I don't think we have those up here at 8500 feet.

And, we don't have air conditioning either.... no need. We use that extra electricity to run welders and band saws and grinders and mills and lathes and stuff.

It's been zero here the last few mornings.

Gotta go cut some more firewood..... darn.

Doug

#13 ·
Hey Doug, a pool is a concrete shell full of water that requires constant repairs (makes me a lot of money), and that nobody ever uses :)

But seriously, I grew up in the NE part of Washington state, and yes we had no heat other than wood burning stoves, so I do feel for ya.

And just to let you know, it was still 77 degrees out at 10 o'clock last night :D

Later - Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.