Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - when is it too cold to run a compressor?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Using synthetic oil in your pump will make it easier for the motor to turn it over just like it does in your car. I use the ISO 100 amsoil PCK which has a pour point of something around -50*F and have ran the compressor which sits in an unheated shop when the low got down to -10*F no problem. You do have to watch out for water at those temps, even though the compressor ran fine I had to point the salamander at the tank to get the auto drain to work. After that I make sure to blow out the water when done running the compressor then shut the ball valve off at the tank to keep it from running while I'm not there & making more water to freeze up. If I lived where it was -30*F I would look at something in the ISO 46 or 20w range which pours at around -60*F. I use synthetics in everything I have & gone are the days of hearing things clatter on cold starts regardless of the temp. I use the same oil in the air tools as in the compressor & it seems to work at the same temps.