Hot Rod Forum banner

When to use step drill bits?

35K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Rambo_The_Dog 
#1 ·
Harbor Freight has some step drill bits on sale now for $9.99.
When and on what type of metal should they be used?
I don't believe they are as good as regular drill bits for drilling in thicker metal.
Thanks. :welcome:

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the same set from HF as your picture.

I have found them to be great for "reaming" out a hole in relatively thin (1/8" -1/4") plate such as brackets and etc. That is what they are really meant for. They will not "grab" like regular twist drills. :thumbup: They are not really intended to "drill" a hole. :nono:

texastomeh

#4 ·
Step drill bits can be used to drill or ream a hole to any size step on the bit. I have used them to drill holes in frame rails for brake lines and wire bundles with ease, through A-pillars for dome light door switches, through body panels for weld-nuts, etc.

As for the Harbor Freight ones, they're probably made in China, so no telling if they're a bargain or not. I use "Greenlee" or "Unibit", and they last forever.

George

#5 ·
I had a friend who drilled a 1" hole through a piece of 1" thick steel on a homemade trailer hitch with a unibit . :pain: :smash: Dry....

There was alot of smoke and I think that unibit mostly burned its way through.

Somehow I don't think they were designed for that type of work.

Later, mikey

#6 ·
powerrodsmike said:
I had a friend who drilled a 1" hole through a piece of 1" thick steel on a homemade trailer hitch with a unibit . :pain: :smash: Dry....

There was alot of smoke and I think that unibit mostly burned its way through.

Somehow I don't think they were designed for that type of work.

Later, mikey

LOL,
The step drill bits are made for sheet metal each step is 1/8" you will see the sheel metal guy with then electrial guy and even me the millwright used them to pop hole in conveyor section side guards and so on. A must have if you can afford the good one last forever if you take care of them. Once you have a pilot hole its like cutting through butter and it will not walk on ya.

One other little thing it make a nice champfer edge if you bring it down to the next step hole cutting edge no need to have a deburing tool. beats the heck out of changing drill bits. Pilot bit and a unibit, that all you need on sheet metal.

Craig

#7 ·
The step drill is useful drilling a GOOD, ROUND HOLE ... where you want it. I have a few quality ones ( Not Harbor Freight junk :smash: ) and use them quite a bit. I get a good round hole where I want it ... :rolleyes:

#10 ·
scrot said:
Harbor Freight has some step drill bits on sale now for $9.99.
When and on what type of metal should they be used?
I don't believe they are as good as regular drill bits for drilling in thicker metal.
Thanks. :welcome:
These tools definitely have their purpose - Irwin makes a good tool but for what the cost of 1 of the Irwin bits - I've bought a couple of the HF sets (and believe me I'm abusing the heck out of them) and although a couple of the bits are worn the rest are holding nicely for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.