Where is the best place to find a 350 engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2003, 11:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Where is the best place to find a 350 engine

Well first i have to say I hope I put this question in the right area because it is kind of iffy on the section where it should go

So the question is where is the best place to find an 350 chev with a 350 trans. This will be in an s-10 swap. I am looking right now but can't seem to find one at a good price. Well i am probably just broke but maybe you guys have suggestions? I am looking to spend something under $1000. Maybe even $1 per number. 350 for $350

am i just too broke to buy one or has people found them at this rediculous price?

Also for a side question like i asked before, if a 350 chev is impossible to get, will a 330 or a 350 oldsmobile engine work in an s-10 swap. And no i won't sell the 330 and/or the 350 to get a chev motor

thanks for your help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 11:54 PM

im sure your local junkyard will have a motor and trans for you. and im positive that it wont be impossible to get a 350. they are everywhere you just gotta check out the classifieds in the local paper and whatnot. and the other engines would work as well just might have to make different motor mounts and whatnot. hope this helped. later
Old 03-01-2003, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

well now i am looking at the classifides here and motors are pretty cheep and i feel dumb but still any tips are helpful
Old 03-01-2003, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

i usually get mine from complete cars,wrecked not running or rusted out POS vehicles, lots of them in michigan, buy the entire car for $100.00 or less and part them out, lots of extras, you just have to keep an eye open for them.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:19 AM

Just call up the junk yards. They sell for about $125 for the motors and less for the transmission. Or you may be able to find a junk car that is not running and offer to tow it away. A lot of people will just give it to you. Be sure to get the title, because you can tow the hulk to the junk yard and they will sometimes pay you for it, but they need the title to scrap it so that they can prove it is not stolen.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:32 AM

Last photo:

Either of the engines you have would work if you can get a transmission for them. the motor mounts on a olds i think are a bit wider than those on a chevy sb so the chevy is probably a better choice. Chevys are so common I wouldnt pay more than 150.00 for anything not rebuilt. Dont rule out a TH 700 R4 or a 200 4R tranny, I know the 700 has lower first and second gears and a .70 over drive compared to the 1.00:1 third gear of a TH350. The 200 4R has a even higher over drive and I think, fairly low first and second gears, either will make your project feel much stronger and get better highway gas mileage.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

you got the right awnsers already

junk yards will have dozens of rolled cars that have relatively good engine and trans in them. find out where the insurance companies take theres when they pay somebody out on an accident.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:06 PM
mini me

Last photo:

did any body minchen the track? I went out to our local track a while back and people out there were selling whole engines, tranny's, intakes, tires, you name it these people had it. and the were pretty cheap too

also see if you could find a local swap meet. there full of hotrodders with all sorts of good parts. most of the time

J
Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

a chevy 350 will be the easiest to swap- however its a lot easier to go fast for cheap (with acceptable durability) if you go with the Olds 350. The Olds 350 was the best 350 GM made. The poncho is another good one, but you need to get some good heads for them, the valves are a little shouded due to the smaller bores- great torque numbers though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.