where is the best place to get dupont paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

where is the best place to get dupont paint

ive been trying to find a good place online to order some dupont paint, but i can't really find anything, where do you guys recommend to go?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Why online, surely there has to be a dupont (a major paint line) supplier somewhere nearby in a city the size of mesa, az.
I order Spi online, but shipping is very fair and because have no nearby suppliers, but its good to get to know your neighborhood paint suppliers, and a good supplier will also give good advice and nice to know in the case you run into a problem, or need something right away.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,118 Posts
I agree, I see no reason to buy paint products over the net. You need a jobber where you can go in and talk to them and "kick the tires" and stuff like that. If you really knew your stuff and you knew exactly what you wanted, then sure you could get exact part numbers shipped to you. But honestly, I see no reason when you can drive a little bit and hang around a paint store checking out new products and tools and stuff like that.

Brian
Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Many years ago we used to use Dupont paints. We purchased them at the local O'reilly auto parts store. They were the only local supplier (small town living!). At the time...they had a paint guy who knew what he was doing.

I went in a year or so ago and the original paint guy had left. There was a 19-20 year old guy handling the paint now. Without a long story...he has no clue what he is talking about.

If Dupont is sold in body shop supply...you would probably be better off. If the local supplier is an auto parts store...spend some time talking to the guy/gal and see if they know their stuff.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Look in your yellow pages, or ask around. I'm sure you have a DuPont distributor in your area. Or check out other brands. Many are just as good, if not better.

Do not buy stuff like this over the web. You will get socked with hazardous material charges tacked onto shipping charges, which will GREATLY increase the cost.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
You will get socked with hazardous material charges tacked onto shipping charges, which will GREATLY increase the cost.

That is not true.

Larry
Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
Look in your yellow pages, or ask around. I'm sure you have a DuPont distributor in your area. Or check out other brands. Many are just as good, if not better.
Yep, Look it up under "Automotive paint supplies" Or "Automotive autobody supplies" in the yellow pages. OR simply call or go buy a local body shop and ask where they get their supplies.

Brian
Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Larry,

If you have a supplier that you can get paint from without having to pay hazardous material charges, more power to you.

I ordered a gallon of urethane primer a couple of years ago, and UPS socked me with 38 bucks charge on top of regular shipping. I just don't want to see anyone else get ripped unknowingly.

For me, it certainly was true.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 PM

We are one of those suppliers.
You may have gotten taken or the supplier doesn't know the rules.
But that does not mean that all of us do that. We can legally send
everything we sell in gallons or less without a hazmat fee by ground
service. That includes reducer.
Of course I don't want people to think what you said is true
because it's not. People should be wary of all the charges whether
purchased online or locally. I was overcharged for years by my local
supplier. That's why I opened a paint store. But, because of my bad
experience, I'm not going to say he shouldn't buy it locally as there is no doubt Mesa has a DuPont dealer and they are probably reputable.

Larry
Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbell101
We can legally send
everything we sell in gallons or less without a hazmat fee by ground
service. That includes reducer.
Larry
I have never sent anything through the mail because of the hazmat cost. So obviously someone made a mistake. Do you have a link to something that states what you said? OR, is this UPS or FEDEX or something like that with different rules? Or is this within your state, in other words elaborate would you please?

Of course, if someone wanted supplies that means they would have to be shipped one gallon at a time, that may work out to more money too. I don't know, I just see it like buying an electronic gadget over the net, why when you can buy it in town and not have to worry about it being damaged.

Brian
Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I have never sent anything through the mail because of the hazmat cost. So obviously someone made a mistake. Do you have a link to something that states what you said? OR, is this UPS or FEDEX or something like that with different rules? Or is this within your state, in other words elaborate would you please?

Of course, if someone wanted supplies that means they would have to be shipped one gallon at a time, that may work out to more money too. I don't know, I just see it like buying an electronic gadget over the net, why when you can buy it in town and not have to worry about it being damaged.

Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't ship paint through mail and why would you.

He can ship one quart or as much as he want UPS and RPS to a point where you get to minimum fright on a fright line truck.

What Larry says is totally true.

Also you might get some of that Debeers from Larry to try and I guarantee you you will never want to know where the Dupont store is and that is not even considering the cost savings.
Further if you have a problem, Larry is qualified to help.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

So you can UPS a gallon of clear or reducer UPS ground across the country with no hazmat fee what so ever? We are working on the assumption that we are honest with the shipper and telling him what is inside the box.

But honest, if this is true, I am very surprised.

Brian
Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
So you can UPS a gallon of clear or reducer UPS ground across the country with no hazmat fee what so ever? We are working on the assumption that we are honest with the shipper and telling him what is inside the box.

But honest, if this is true, I am very surprised.

Brian
-----------------------------------------------------------

You should stick to what you know, then.

To try and cover something like this up and the Fines start somewhere around $10,000 so why would a company even do that, big risk for a $200 order. You don't lie to the DOT as you will lose every time.

Research it, it will entertain you for days.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Brian,

YOU can't ship it without the hazmat fee. You actually can't ship hazmat legally at all. But vendors who have gone through the hazmat training and have an approved account can. So that's everybody who legally ships auto paint because you must have the training and account to ship paint no matter what. The limit is not a gallon. It's a gallon max internal packaging and 66 pounds limit overall. So even a case of four heavy primers can be shipped legally without a hazmat fee if packaged correctly. There are a ton of rules and they are all at the Federal Register under Part 49:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...9cfrv2_03.html

Larry

Oh.... Nobody can ship anything hazmat through the regular USPS. They don't accept them.

Last edited by lbell101; 01-06-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbell101
Brian,

YOU can't ship it without the hazmat fee. You actually can't ship hazmat legally at all. But vendors who have gone through the hazmat training and have an approved account can. So that's everybody who legally ships auto paint because you must have the training and account to ship paint no matter what. The limit is not a gallon. It's a gallon max internal packaging and 66 pounds limit overall. So even a case of four heavy primers can be shipped legally without a hazmat fee if packaged correctly. There are a ton of rules and they are all at the Federal Register under Part 49:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...9cfrv2_03.html

Larry

Oh.... Nobody can ship anything hazmat through the regular USPS. They don't accept them.
Larry, thanks for being the gentleman and simply answering the question. I really appreciate it.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.