Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Garage - Tools (
-   -   where to buy a SAE 45* flare tubing seat cutter? (

Old School Nut 11-23-2007 09:29 PM

where to buy a SAE 45* flare tubing seat cutter?
does any1 know where to buy a 45* flare tubing seat cutter as used in production of wheel cylinders, oil and fuel line fittings... haven't had any luck paging through Mcmaster,rutland and NNT...

I may end up having one custom made, but I know some1 must sell them! maybe I just don't know what to look under???

thanks -Leo-

Dugg 11-24-2007 07:02 PM

If you've tried McMaster and maybe MSC, I'd have one made.

I've had custom shaped end mills made and they're not all that expensive.... Yes Paris, relative is just that, relative to the cost of other tooling.

Tell your tool maker you want to start with a standard double ended end mill and have him grind yours on both ends of the mill.......... it's cheaper grinding the same profile on both ends than having two separate end mills made.

If you design your cutter with a pilot guide like a counter-bore tool, you may even be able to get away using it on a nice deburring machine.... deburring machine is what I call Bridgeport mills.

powerrodsmike 11-24-2007 07:48 PM

Many times a brass insert is cut with the inverted flare seat and pressed into a bored recess in the part. I know that master cylinders are made that way. That type of part can be made on a lathe.

How many of these parts are you making?

If you are doing a bunch, like Dugg said, a custom cutter may be the way to go.

You'd try one of these guys who do custom tooling.

( I never used these particular people, I just googled "custom tooling"

Here is a company I found that made a tool called a "cone cutter", this one is a 10* but it looks like it's the right idea.


IIRC, rutland and enco offer custom services as well.

later, mikey

66GMC 11-24-2007 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not 100% sure this is it ... but it sure sounds like it.
Tri-Star Engineering - SAE J512 Inverted Flare Type Fitting cutting tools


Tri-Star Engineering specializes in making of the SAE J512 Inverted Flare Type Fitting cutting tools intended for general application in the automotive, appliance, and allied fields. We manufacture the J512 to exact SAE standard dimensions, or we can manufacture the J512 in the highest quality to meet your part specifications. To serve you better, we offer two different variations of the J512 on our website in which you can view, request more information on, and use our online forms to submit a quote to our sales department. From here, a quote can be produced for a standard dash size or you can select our custom option to enter in your own values to meet your part specifications. Once the form is submitted, you will receive a quote within 3 business days.

In the event of an order, TRI-STAR ENGINEERING, INC. will issue an approval print.

powerrodsmike 11-24-2007 09:45 PM

Good find. :thumbup:


Old School Nut 11-26-2007 09:04 PM

thanks every1 for your input, and GMC, YES!!! thats the tool I am looking for!

I plan on using this tool to make custom one off fittings as well as using it to repair hard to find and expensive fittings and parts on antique tractors, cars and trucks...

Dugg, ever use a "3 axis" cnc bridgeport? them are mighty expensive deburing tools! your right tho, they aint that ridged of a machine, someday I will buy something nicer like a HAAS VMC....

thanks again guys!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.