where can i buy something that removes rust fast - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

where can i buy something that removes rust fast

Trying to remove rust fast from some old parts what do i use and where can i buy it.. thanks THE DOG

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

You can't
Old 05-22-2012, 12:35 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Wire Wheel

you can buy a fiber type wire wheel for your drill. works fast. about 14 bucks
Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 AM
boatbob2

Rust Removal......

Hi,if the parts are thick (like suspension parts) you can put those parts in MURATIC ACID,BUT,wash WELL with soap and water after rust is gone,then DRY FAST,or surface rust will form (easily removed with sandpaper) if body parts,OSPHO, after rust is dissolved,a powder will form,i respray with ospho again,then use a 3M grey pad and scrub good,then dry,and prime. dont try to paint over the powder,without scrubbing,it WONT work. or as mentioned in a prior post,the fiber wheel works good.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

This stuff is awesome. It literally dissolves the rust with no rubbing, scrubbing, scrapping, no work, no effort, no tools. Just wipe or rinse it off and you are done.
http://www.theruststore.com/Evapo-Rust-Gallon-P1C1.aspx

Not sure your definition of fast. This will work in a few hours to a day or two. Just depends on how much rust you have and the ambient temperature.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Look up electrolytic rust removel all you need is a 12v battery charger and some wash soda from Ace hardware...this is by far the best way also happens to be the easiest.
I did a thread on it last year..shows everything you need to know...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Look up electrolytic rust removel all you need is a 12v battery charger and some wash soda from Ace hardware...this is by far the best way also happens to be the easiest.
I did a thread on it last year..shows everything you need to know...
That is not rust removal. That is coverting red rust to black rust (which is more stable). I can post the chemical formula if you like.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

I have done electrolysis. It does remove rust, but it is not fast.
This page will give you a lot of information about it:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

This is what I have done, and seems to work pretty well, but again, it is not fast.
Mechanically remove loose rust. Wire wheel, sand, sandblast, scrape, whatever.
Then put the parts into the electrolysis. In about two days, pressure wash the parts, and the anodes. Back into electrolysis, if still not clean. Repeat as necessary. A typical 1970's car has been rusting for over 40 years. Do not expect to remove all the rust in a short period of time

Here is a thread Randy Ferguson started. Lots of good information in it.
secrets of surface rust removal revealed

The reason I brought up Randy's thread is because when using the electrolysis, you can clean some of the rust off parts while you are cleaning, and checking the progress electrolysis is making. And then put the parts back in the electrolysis. Using the Arm & Hammer "super washing soda" for the electrolyte in water makes a slightly basic or alkaline solution. Good for neutralising phosphoric acid rust treatments.

Electrolysis will leave a "black rust" on the parts. It usually is not firmly adhered to the good metal. Pressure washing will remove some of it. A light sandblast will also remove any remaining black rust.

Electrolysis creates "free" hydrogen on the parts. This hydrogen can cause hydrogen embrittlement. Do not use electrolysis on suspension parts, or other critical parts, like a flywheel.

DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL FOR THE ANODE! Doing that can create hexavalent chromium, a very nasty chemical.

After doing electrolysis on parts, you will be left with a iron oxide sludge in the bottom of the container you were doing electrolysis in. If you let the container sit for a while, the iron oxide will slowly settle out, and you can skim clean electrolyte out of the container, and use it some more. when you get down to the last gallon or so of black sludge, just let the water evaporate in the sun, or cook the water off in an old crock pot, and when dry, dispose of the dried sludge in the garbage. I have also heard the iron oxide is good for lawns, and kills moss, but I have not proved that myself. I have washed parts off on the lawn, with no visible ill effects on the grass.

Parts I have put in electrolysis have also in many cases had the paint removed from them. But the paint is not removed completely, and not in all cases. Where the paint is going to be removed, it usually bubbles up, and can be blown off with an air hose. I think what is happening is the metal has a slight trace of surface rust under the paint. The surface rust causes hydrogen bubbles to form under the paint, separating the paint from the bare metal.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.