Where can I find this gismo??????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 PM
http://community.webshots.com/

Wiki Edits: 0

Where can I find this gismo???????

I want to route a ground from the firewall to the cab under the dash. I guess you would call it a terminal block. However it should extend into the cab where I can ground several wires without running them separately through the firewall. I believe I saw something like this a few weeks ago but I can't remember where.
Anyone know where I could find this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

I think I get it. Maybe. You are negative ground, right? Just ground to the body where necessary.

If you are talking about a terminal block to distribute fused positives, then check out the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bussmann.pdf (168.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 AM

It sounds like you just want to provide a convenient ground point under the dash. You can ground it on the passenger compartment side of the firewall instead of running a wire to the engine compartment, unless are trying to resolve some audio problems. Some high power audio equipment works better (less noise) with a dedicated, direct ground connection to the battery instead of using chassis ground.

The page that C-10 provided shows a couple of examples that would work, and there are quite a few other brands out there. The auto parts stores usually have a few types in stock. Another source is car audio installers, since they need good grounding for the equipment they install.

For your application, make sure you are getting a distribution block or junction block, where all the studs are connected together to provide a common ground point.

Barrier blocks look similar, but in most cases they connect each pair of wires separately, and you don't have any common power or ground point.

Bruce
Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

This is a master ground block I use on motorcycles and is a great company to deal with (no affiliation)

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...tion/02207.htm
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

Today Grounds are more important then ever, these newer computer controlled cars, depend on the traditional role of grounds, and for control of Radio Frequency, and electrical noise. The high frequencies used by the new computers can cause real problems when allowed to go un-checked, this is why are electronic equipment plugs have grounding.
What your referring to is the general grounding, that is needed to get one a full connection from one side to the other side of a battery's circuit. A common Ground type system. Many companies, including Painless Wiring, and Ron France Wiring sell Ground Kits, that use short pieces of Buss, to make several connection to. These are great ways to bring many separate grounds together, then simply take one larger cable out to the battery, or other acceptable ground location. While I can't help but to believe these kits originated for the Fiberglass guy's, they do make great addition to any project, regardless of your Grounding needs.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Last photo:

You can buy bulkhead connectors that install through a hole in your firewall.

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.