where can I find pics of a 65 wagon tailgate assembly???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

where can I find pics of a 65 wagon tailgate assembly????

I inherieted a half finished 65 wagon that five people had worked on ,among other things ,I think the tailgate is missing the window tracks...I was told (by the guy that put it together) it didnt come with them but there are two holes on each side for them and all that holds the glass in is the regulator so the glass flops around. Plus in all the years I been doing this stuff ,I've never seen a ny glass that moved without a track,,,never,but anything is possible it sure dont seem right though...Does anyone know for sure or mabee guide me to a pic of a tailgate assembly....
I'm also having a devil of a time finding a weatherstrip for the gate and had to go with a suburban seal that I had to cut up to make fit ,I'd sure like one made for the car.

Dont you just HATE putting something together that was a party pass around??? I just couldnt say no to the guy he spent so much and got so little but it sure has been a PITA...

If anyone is tearing a car down PLEASE bag and tag everything as if someone else is going to be puting it back together ......someone just might...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

what kind of car ?

I have a shelf about 6 feet wide with old manuals a lot of the designs were similar for the corporate body shells,
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

A good way to find the scematics is in some of those old wagons is your local library. There are some large hard cover manuals (as big as an encyclopedia) that cover multiple years of vehicles. They are your best bet unless you can find a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual for your year car.
Another sugestion is to find any wagon tailgate assembly schematic even if its not your exact year just to see the basic dynamics of how it works.
You would be suprised just how simple these are designed.
If you dont want to bother with original design, there are many alternatives such as remote actuators that pop the door for you...These can work beautifully if done right.
Hope this helps...

Semper Fi
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

DBM, what is the make and model of this "65 wagon"? Is it a 1965 Rollsroyce or is it the the sixty fifth wagon made or is it a little red wagon with 65 marbles in it, what the hell is it?

Brian
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Is that the model that has a pop out window crank handle on the outside of the tail gate? I think Chevy started that in 59.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM

I'm sorry guys I must have still been half asleep and in a hurry this morning.
It's a 65 Impala wagon and some how the window tracks got lost and the gate got put back together without them, I'm 98% sure its supposed to have them ,theres even two holes on each side to mount them I cant see anything else they would be for...Theres a roll up crank on the outside....The library sounds like a good idea if I cant get anything on the internet. Unfortunetly the owner is a super nice guy thats been getting robbed by everyone that worked on it,I'm just trying to get him going but every time I get something almost done I run into more trouble ,pieces missing,parts not put on so everything has to taken back apart and redone.its everyones worst nightmare...but the guy bought the car new and he loves it so I have to get it right ,check every nut and bolt from front to back. Once this tailgate is done I'm done with it ,bumper to bumper I just refuse to put it back together without knowing for sure about the tracks even though it did work,it just didnt feel right....One of the guys that screwed it up said it wasnt made with window tracks,I told him if it WAS made like that it would be the first roll up window I've ever seen without tracks.Somebody lost them and someone else put it back together without them just to get it out of their hair...everything else is BS...........I hope I'm right .....
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
One of the guys that screwed it up said it wasnt made with window tracks,I told him if it WAS made like that it would be the first roll up window I've ever seen without tracks.Somebody lost them and someone else put it back together without them just to get it out of their hair...everything else is BS...........I hope I'm right .....
My money is on you DBM. It's a wonder the rear glass hasn't been broken yet from opening and closing the tailgate. Those old 65's were good old street rod builders. Loved the square nova type body. Should have called then Novawagon's.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 AM

Well ,I do understand how aggravating it can be restoring a car that has a limited supply of new parts...but on the other hand if its causing this much trouble for a pro to get finished ,how the heck can these guys expect the owner to do it...I spent half a day at the junk yards yesterday just finding odds and ends like trim clips,washer squirters etc...I got pretty lucky...
I found out something interesting too,ALL those GM tailgate window cranks are the same ,we bought a new crank from the dealer for a suburban and it was exactly the same with the exception of the mounting plate,all I had to do was swap it with the old one and bolt it on..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Yes---it has tracks
The inside of these are pretty similar from 59+

If you are having troubles getting a 65 Chev gate
All of the other corp. models should be the same, or close enough to work.

I looked inside a 65 Pont wagon gate----damn near exacly what a 59 Chev gate looked like inside.

You need the tracks----window interlock (so you cannot open the gate with the glass up even slightly), and the big double window regulator
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

Tailgate

Hey Man, Here is '59-'60 info. Starts at pg.14-89 and goes on with alot of info on adjustments, etc. on following pages. Maybe it will give you some help? Nolan
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com.../59sms1490.htm
Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

'63-'67 typical tailgate hardware

How about this;http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Chevy/5...age186_jpg.htm
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Ah Ha! B=tail gate window glass side run channel assemby.
Need to show the guy that screwed it up this picture. Even though it's marked 59-60 it still proves there's a channel for the rear windows.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

'63-'66 tailgate lock assembly

More;http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Chevy/5...age188_jpg.htm
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'm guessing you already looked, but the tracks aren't down in the bottom of the tailgate are they?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

Part sources

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Ok, now you owe me. Wish you were closer to Louisiana, I'd get you to help me paint my truck. Nolan

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.