Where Did My Oil Go?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 03:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Where Did My Oil Go??

After all the travails of finding an oil pressure problem, I now have a consumption problem. The 351W is gobbling up a quart of oil every 100 miles. Not a drop on the ground or on the underside, and the plugs are clean. I don't get it. The engine never did that before. I drove it from Nevada to Montana with no oil use issues. In trying to locate the oil pressure problem, I took the pan off and re-torqued the mains after checking the bearing clearances. I buttoned it up, got the oil pressure I was looking for and thought I had it fixed. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

incorrect ignition timing, internal vac. leak, pcv or bad valve seals
Old 07-30-2004, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

back in the mid 80s I had an old 74 Lemans I bought cheap with a 250 6 banger, just an ol beater but ran & drove great, used a quart of oil about every 1000-1500 miles.
1 day I had to make the 60 mile drive to Mpls., I drove there & before I headed back I stopped for gas & I checked the oil, it was just a tad under full, so I headed home. I went about 45 miles & the oil light came on, I looked in the mirror, didnt see any smoke or hear anything, a little bit later the temp light came on, shortly after it started knocking, * it boiled over...I just kept driving LOL... figured let it blow...when its done its done.
I made it home, it was knockin to beat hell, sizziling, popping through the carb .
after it cooled down, I checked the oil, bone dry, it had no coolent left in it. The thing was a grease ball anyway, so couldnt see any fresh leaks.
I dumped 5 quarts of drain oil in it & some water. it knocked for a few seconds I than ran as smooth as can be, I put another 15 thousand miles on that thing & it never did that again. to this day I dont know what happened.

Last edited by stepside454; 07-30-2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:23 PM

stepside454, Use Edit to change your post and remove the second copy.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

TY Terge
Old 07-31-2004, 05:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

oil

[color=yellow]Doc Here

Years and years and years ago, When you could Buy a new car for a buck a pound....I once had A 390 thunder~chicken that had at least a bizillion~in~ a~ half abuse miles on it ...

oil change every ten or so years whether or not it needed it...had to change that 30 "Grit" oil and an oil filter every two changes..those are good for 20 years right?

Anyway the previous owner wasn't the Brightest Crayon in the Box When it came to Auto maintenance...

After I got it, I was (thought I was using) Magic vaporizing oil within a short while running, the oil would "Just Go away" and leave no trace , drips, smoke etc...Yet, the next day it would "magically Return" ...

What I Found was the Valley was a mass, like inches deep, ..of Crud and Mung Clogging the returns back down to the Crankcase...It would pump and hold the oil in the overhead, eventually It would drain back down into the pan, but it took a while...to get back down there, slower than the oil pump and dipstick liked...

Could this be happening to you...??

I've only seen it once in like 30 years..
Surfice it to say, I've only had 1 Ford...
had less luck with the 3 Ex~wifes...LOL...

Doc
[/color]

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.