Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Where did this power booster get its vacuum? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/where-did-power-booster-get-its-vacuum-182462.html)

K and K 08-09-2010 11:12 PM

Where did this power booster get its vacuum?
 
On 57' Caddy I just picked up with its original 365 motor, I noticed the intake manifold has only one vacuum port and it has a very old looking plug in it which sits just in front of the carb flange right under the pcv inlet of the edlebrock performer carb the previous owner put on. The original power booster has an ancient looking vacuum hose hanging from it but I can not find a port matching its length.

SSedan64 08-09-2010 11:18 PM

Booster Vac. hose normally goes straight to Manifold port.

scholman 08-10-2010 12:09 AM

K and K,

I just finished working on a 58 caddy brake system.

The vacuum hose goes to the manifold just behind the carb. If you don't have the original manifold you may need to run a longer hose to a manifold vacuum port.

Have Fun
Scholman(retired)

K and K 08-10-2010 12:37 AM

But thats just it, I didnt see any manifold vacuum ports behind the carb or anywhere in the manifold except for just in front of the carb directly under the pcv inlet of the edlebrock carb the previous owner put on. Perhaps this was the orginal port for the brake booster when it had the original Rochester carb but now with the Edelbrock it cant work because the PCV inlet is to low?
The intake manifold appears original but I have not found a place to decipher codes and numbers of this Caddy.

Rickracer 08-10-2010 06:12 AM

Pretty much every Rochester carb I've seen has a port on the rear for a brake booster, even if it just had a pipe plug in it. Perhaps they never got around to hooking the booster back up after the carb swap. :cool:

scholman 08-10-2010 07:11 AM

K and K,

Any manifold vacuum will work just fine. Find a longer piece of hose and hook it up. Done!

Scholman(retired)

LATECH 08-13-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K and K
On 57' Caddy I just picked up with its original 365 motor, I noticed the intake manifold has only one vacuum port and it has a very old looking plug in it which sits just in front of the carb flange right under the pcv inlet of the edlebrock performer carb the previous owner put on. The original power booster has an ancient looking vacuum hose hanging from it but I can not find a port matching its length.

Maybe you can find a spacer plate for the carb that has a spot in the back for the vacuum fiitng, or go back to a rochester carb and put one in there. The edelbrock doesnt have a plug in the back of the base plate you can put a fitting in????

adantessr 08-13-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latech
Maybe you can find a spacer plate for the carb that has a spot in the back for the vacuum fiitng, or go back to a rochester carb and put one in there. The edelbrock doesnt have a plug in the back of the base plate you can put a fitting in????

My 1405 Edelbrock has a port in the back where I installed the fitting for my power brakes . You may have to pull the carb to find it . Shouldn't be a big deal .

K and K 08-13-2010 10:36 PM

Thanks guys, I just pulled the carb to rebuild. Its a 1406 and I did find a port in the rear of the carb to use that I couldnt feel. Thanks!

adantessr 08-14-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K and K
Thanks guys, I just pulled the carb to rebuild. Its a 1406 and I did find a port in the rear of the carb to use that I couldnt feel. Thanks!

You are quite welcome . A 1406 is a 1405 with an electric choke ( I'm told )


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.