Where do I find info on Z'ing my frame and channeling my cab? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Some Folks Don't Have Vision!

Wiki Edits: 0

Where do I find info on Z'ing my frame and channeling my cab?

Ok, Guys, I made a search of the forum and couldn't find the info I needed. I'm new to the rod scene, but have been restoring cars and Harleys for a long time now. This is my first rod and I know I want to Z the frame and channel the cab and probably the bed. Where do I start the Z? Right behind the cab? Just in front of the rear axle? Where do I find specs? How far can I go and stll drive the car withoug dragging the ground? Is there anyone or any articles who can point me in the right direction? I'll admit, I dont' subscribe to either the Rat Rod/ Ol' Skool' biz, but dont' want to build anything via the Coddington route for concours points, either. For me, it's just about the simple joy of putting something together and driving the little jewel around and then getting around to changing/investing in things as I can. I have a 29 Ford Model AA truck and want to z the frame and channel the cab some, too, but don't have a clue how to start. Oh yeah, there's going to be a (surprise!) Chevy small block, etc for the running gear. Can anyone help? Thanks...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

There are very little build pics of original Model A frames that have been Z'd on the net. Many feel that by the time you box the frame and add the crossmembers to strengthen it you would be further ahead to build a new one. Most guys building frames for channeled rods are going that way.

This isone link that I have:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...874&&showall=1

Nightfire may be able to give you some more.

If you are not commited to using your old frame I can give you several links to building your own frame.

As for how much to Z that frame it depends on several factors. One is what rear suspension will you be using. If you use the Model a spring you will have to have a very high kickup. If you use a spring with less arch like a 40 Ford it will be less. Also you could go to a coil over system and it would be different again.

Where do you start the kickup - that depends. If you want to have your gas tank and battery right behind the cab then you would start it as close to the rear end as you can so you can mount them in the bottom of the bed in front of the axle. Otherwise if you kick up the frame right behind the cab you will have to hang them from the frame and crossmembers.

Get back to us with any more questions and ideas you may have.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here is a build on this site in grapro's journal. He is building a Chevy but the principles are the same. He discusses ride height.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=
Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
All I Need Now Is Time & Money

Hmm, I'm gettin' the idea...

As for how much to Z that frame it depends on several factors. One is what rear suspension will you be using. If you use the Model a spring you will have to have a very high kickup. If you use a spring with less arch like a 40 Ford it will be less. Also you could go to a coil over system and it would be different again.

Ok, I think I'm starting to get the idea. I've got a AA truck with all the heavy suspension, so that stuff is going to get trashed and I'll probably start in the rear with a rear end out of an S-10 or something (hey, I'm open to suggestion here-so speak up...) so I'll have a spring and shock setup. Oh yeah, a STUPID question here since I don't have many hot rod shows to go to where I'm at--I know what to expect from a standard shock and spring setup, but if I go with a coilover setup, am I assuming that it has a shock and a spring already, that's all I need, right? I don't have to mount a separate coil spring, right? As far as where to start the kickup in the rear, I'll also have to determine if I'm going to drop the battery and gas tank between the frame rails or just install them (tastefully covered, of course) in the bed itself. It's still early in the project yet, but this is giving me some great ideas on how to proceed.
I'll do a search here on the forum, but does anyone have any ready links handy regarding doing a Chevy small block/auto trans swap for my 29?

Thanks from a Rod Rookie
Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM

You have a Model AA Pickup with the long bed full length aprons and boards??

That, if the bed and boards and aprons are saveable or useable, is a real goodie!! The frame on the trucks is heavy duty and configured like the passenger car/pickup frame with the tapered rails but deeper in cross-section and thickness. If you worked at it and spent some time learning about what you want to do, you could have a really neat and unusual full tilt big pickup that would catch teh eye of the crowds.
Ditch the pivoting springs and all that old screw drive rearend and replace it a modern rearend, use a Heidt's superide on the front, or a traditional beam axle, full fenders boards and aprons, a 32 commercial radiator shell,OH YEAH!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.