Where do you buy carpet? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 07:57 PM
1949 Chevy Truck

Wiki Edits: 0

Where do you buy carpet?

I need to buy some carpet for my 49 Chevy truck. But I need to find a place that has one piece to cover all the floor. Most only go to where the bench seat use to be. Not all the way back. The gas tank is also gone and needs to be covered. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 10:47 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

If Auto Custom Carpets doesnt have what you are looking for, then NO ONE will have it, and it would have to be custom made.

http://www.autocustomcarpets.com/
Old 07-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Hey, BigMac

I plan on forming my own carpet from under the dash all the way under the seat. etc. It will require some cutting, stitching and gluing, but it'll be way less expensive than buying those custom molded things. The biggest problem, for me, is finding the carpet I want to use. Stuff made for home use is often too heavy and stiff ... stuff made for auto use is usually solid colors only (which I don't want). But I figure when I'm ready I'll find the perfect carpet - just have to find the right supplier.

Where did you put your gas tank?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM
1949 Chevy Truck

I put the tank under the bed. I would also like to find carpet and do it myself. I dont know where to go.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

If you want to do your own carpet, there is one particular type of carpet that i would recommend that is moldable. First the one to stay away from, it is called Needle Punch, otherwise known as a bunch of colored fuzz tangled together. Needle Punch carpet is very stretchy, because it has no backing, but I would NEVER use it. Guaranteed it will fuzz up with 5 drives or less. Maximum of 5000 miles and you will have worn a hole in it. Can't stress it enough to NOT use Needle Punch carpet.

The only kind of carpet that is moldable that is a good quality carpet is Porsche Sliver Knit Carpet, and it comes in a pretty wide range of colors. Yes, it is the actual carpet used in some Porsches, so its a bit pricey, but if you want a nice carpet you can mold, this is the way to go. Id have to check, but im pretty sure its around $50 a yard, and it comes 60 inches wide i believe. And it is the softest carpet you will ever feel. We honestly call this carpet "Teddy Bear Carpet" around the shop because its so soft. Well, i think ive talked enough about carpet for now, off to bed.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Personally, I'm not looking for soft, plush carpeting in my truck ... also, I don't need to be too concerned about "molding" it. I don't know about your 49, BigMac, but I guess it's similar to my 54 -- practically all flat surfaces. Even my firewall has only a very mild "hump" in the center, and I'm planning on being able to work that with some simple seams.

I haven't gone carpet hunting yet, but I'll be doing that in August or September for sure. I'm gonna check with a couple of local car guys and I'm also gonna look at some regular carpet places (for houses) and see if they have any quality lightweight stuff that offers more than solid colors. These are trucks, eh? Trucks can look cool with something less teddy bear-ish, I think.

Anyway, when I see it, I'll know it ... and there's only one way to learn when you're a beginner -- if at first you don't succeed ...

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 09-03-2003, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

I've been looking for flat,unmolded carpeting for my Model A interior. Try American Trim and Upholstery Supply at atrim.com. They sent me samples of three different grades of carpet and their prices seem pretty reasonable. They also have widths to 80" which will help. If I don't find some at the fall car shows, I'll probabl;y order some from here for the winter projects.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

Ive said it before, stay AWAY from the stuff on their page called Superflex Stretch carpet, or otherwise known as needlepunch.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:44 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

ACC, OR FOR MY TRUCK, I USED SOME STUFF I GOT FOR FREE.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:23 PM
1949 Chevy Truck

Since the floors are flat do i need acc or just some carpet and cut to size?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:58 AM

Last photo:

If its flat, no you wouldnt need a carpet kit. But you would need some sort of sill plate at the edge of the carpet at the door opening, or sew binding on the carpet edge.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:38 AM
1949 Chevy Truck

Thats what I thought. I was looking at some carpet from your (KristKustoms) web site and think its going to work fine. The only place that edging might need to be used is in front of the doors going up the firewall and I don't think it has to be done there.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.