Where do you do most of your work? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 10:05 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I too am very fortunate to have a shop where I can work on several cars, one of which is mine and the others belong to my partner who is in to steam powered cars. He has two Stanleys and a 35 Ford. I have a T-Bucket which I just started a restoration on. Our shop is an aircraft hangar, 60 x 54 with 15 foot ceilings. Insulated, heated, plenty of light, overhead fans. Kitchen, bathroom w/ shower, stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave. We are on the grounds of a county airport, inside the security fence. There are 12 such hangars which all belong to a private hangar condominium association which leases the property the buildings are on. Shop is equipped with a 'Backyard Buddy' 4 post car lift which I (6' 2") can stand erect under. We could accomodate 2 more cars if needed. Shop crane, engine stand, floor jacks, transmission jack, parts washer & storage, plenty of fixed & rolling workbenches, telephone, computers, and a temporary paint booth can be erected when needed. My partner also owns an adjacent hangar where his business aircraft is kept. I stumbled into this relationship a number of years back because I sometimes pilot his aircraft for him and also maintain his computers. I have learned a lot about working on Stanley Steamers along the way as well LOL!

I too once worked in the driveway and in cold garages in all kinds of weather. Now I think everyday I work on these cars about how things have worked out and how luck and fate played a part. I would find it hard to go back to those cold days in the driveway. Here's hoping that all who wish for a better place to work will find it one day.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

driveway at home or friend's house... once in a while unheated non-attatched garage. Depends if parents are home or not...

even when it's 20 degrees f (-10c ?) outside, I'll be layin on that cold concrete changin oil or something.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:43 AM
expert lurker

Last journal entry: day one!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

in my dads 24x28 nica heated garage, almmost every tool imaginable, its nice
Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Simple Garage

After 8 years of house reno's I finally built my garage. Only 20'x24' but sure beats rolling around in the snow!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:27 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Hey Dshield; Please keep your cold and snow this winter. Got too much of your weather last year. Thanks in advance. LOL
Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
alex p

Last journal entry: AHH
Last photo:

god you guys are lucky, i have to work on gravel and it sucks. hopefully when i move into my own house it will have a garage. ahh nevermind i dont even need a house, i will just by a big garage and but a bed inside
Old 11-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

When I was in high school I had to work in the pole barn with a dirt floor and bales of hay all around. Now...I'm still in a pole barn but it has a cement floor and no hay

Barry
Old 11-15-2005, 01:11 PM
hotrodder 4 life

Last photo:

well, i am currently living in an apartment, so i do my oil changes, brake jobs, etc. on my Lightning in the parking lot.

my '59 chevy truck is in a friend's dad's barn. half of the truck is on dirt (in a horse stall) half on cement. at least the 220v plug is only 20 feet away.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter]Just curious if I'm the only poor boy here. What is your "shop" like? Are you working in the yard, driveway (paved or not?), basement or what?

peace[/QUOTE

I built a 42 by 72 foot shed. Its almost done! Cost a lots of money but its something that i have always wanted. Doing most of the work myself helps on cost.I have fixed and painted many cars outside and in small areas for along time!!
Now its time to enjoy working in a shed that i have always dreamed of.

70 runner
Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

I have done oil changes and 4x4 suspension swaps in my driveway (asphalt). for the past 6yrs. The worst was T-Stat change at -23*C (-9*F), almost lost a finger.
Just this past august had a 16x24 garage built, planned ahead and put in electric radiant heat in the slab. Now the warm slab wont bother the bones..
Old 11-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:

You guys and your garages! I do all of my work out in the driveway area. I sometimes work on the grass, but it gets real frustrating. I am currently doing an engine swap in my 4Runner in the field out back. You think it's tough to find something you drop in grass, try a matted field! I was kicked out of the garage when I was 9 years old. I left one of my Dad's hammers out in the driveway when I was playing, and I haven't been able to use his tools or garage area since. He once let me do an A-arm swap in my friends Nissan in there, but only because it wasn't mine. I am currently rebuilding an engine in my dorm room. It is the first time I have ever done automotive work past september without a coat and gloves on

Sam
Old 11-17-2005, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

wher do ido most of my work

i am very fortionet i have a small 2 bay heated shop,i have220 wiring mig welder old stick welder valve grinding equ,parts washer,old dishwasher which is great for final wash of engine parts, but i am 65 and have gathered this stuff for years, my wife calls junk. but in bc wher it rains 1/2 of the year and is cloudy the other part you need shelter. cliff
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

About 25 years ago I restored a '69 Z28 in my parents driveway-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-cold!!! I have owned several houses (own 3 now), but I have a 20X30 shop now and wouldn't trade it for the world!

Craig
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I got a portable building where we keep all our tools along with storage for other things in, I do all my work out in the driveway or under our shed. The shed only has a roof, and isnt to good when its real windy or cold.

Brad
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

We lived in alot of places when I was growing up so I got to work in anything from a heated shop to a snow covered field. I was putting a trans in my chevy van and when the droplight fell in the snow and the bulb exploded . I guess that lightbulbs aren't pyrex. I would sometimes find the parts and tools that I lost over the winter in the springtime when mowing. When I moved into my first apartment there was no paved driveway and I couldn't afford a good set of jackstands so I dug a shallow pit that I could park cars over. I would lay carpet scraps on the dirt if I had them. (I still prefer carpet to use instead of a creeper.) It takes 2 people to install a 727 torqueflite if you have no floorjack. (tip: if you are going to do this, get a floorjack.) Motors and transmissions would get built in the kitchen or living room. Motors had to get assembled in the car because they were too heavy to carry out of the apartment all together. We broke the only good branch off of the walnut tree pulling the motor out of a 67 chevy PU. That made a mess. The new ,improved engine hoist was 2 2X8's nailed together and laid across the roofs of the work vans that we had. A cheapo ratcheting come-along did the lifting. When I moved into my first real house it had a 1 car garage with a 1 lane driveway. I built a shelter out of old plumbing pipe and blue tarps to work on the cars outside in the winter because by then I had too many tools filling up the garage. Now I rent a 50X50 room for my business with almost every tool and piece of equipment that I could ever need. I bought most of the tools and equipment used to stretch my dollars. People think I have it easy because now that I have a really cool shop that is fairly well equipped. I worked in the dirt for 25 years. I earned it.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.