Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Where do you do most of your work? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/where-do-you-do-most-your-work-73885.html)

Bounty Hunter 11-12-2005 08:18 AM

Where do you do most of your work?

Just curious if I'm the only poor boy here. What is your "shop" like? Are you working in the yard, driveway (paved or not?), basement or what?

peace

OneMoreTime 11-12-2005 10:32 AM

Actually there are very few who have the "great shop"..most of us make do with what we have..

OMT

Camaro1980 11-12-2005 12:08 PM

I just have slab but it is better than dirt and grass. at least i can find a bolt when i drop it(most of the time)

matt167 11-12-2005 01:39 PM

well up until just recently all I had was my driveway which was paved with blacktop, now is crumbling and has mud also, but I now have a shelterlogic portable garage in the driveway, to work in the same conditions only under cover, there is an old rubber truck bed mat sitting in there tho, makes it a little better.

zimaad 11-12-2005 02:40 PM

When I was in college, I welded shackles and shock mounts, installed a suspension lift, put in a new rear end, rebuilt carbs, etc... on my CJ-7 in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I made use of long extension cords and understanding neighbors(probably b/c they were drunk) to get it done!

Fast Orange 11-12-2005 03:04 PM

My boss lets me use my shop at work for my projects.Only problem is that I have to move everything out and use the shop during work hours.That and my wife is threatening to have my mail sent there if I spend any more time at the shop.
I'd love to have a shop at home,but the taxes are killing me now-no way I can afford both the shop and the additional tax.

George :cool:

poncho62 11-12-2005 03:50 PM

I have always had a garage of some sort for the last 30 years.........from a 10x20 garage to the 24x32 that I have now. The quality of your work does not depend on the size of the shop.....................in fact, that's true in other things too....... :D

Henry Highrise 11-12-2005 04:15 PM

I did it in the driveway for a long time. 30 years ago I built a shop and it has been one of the best things that I ever did .

steve t 11-12-2005 04:28 PM

i builded a shop about 4 years ago, best money i ever spend, was tired of laying in grass, the old shop the termite almost ate it up

TwistedTrbl 11-12-2005 05:07 PM

I've always had a garage also. Just moved and went from a 4 stall down to a two stall garage. Now the wife and I park our vehicles outside while the projects and spare parts are in the garage.

*I have seen many kick *** vehicles built in driveways or 1 stall garages though........MY HATS OFF TO YOU PPL!!!!

schnitz 11-12-2005 08:02 PM

Most of my stuff gets worked on outside because my car trailer sits in front of my garage. That, and the fact that my Monte and my '84 Chevy are sitting inside...

In a while, Chet.

tornado-tech 11-12-2005 08:11 PM

Most of my work is done in my 2 stall garage or in my driveway unless I need a lift which a shop lets me use theirs after hours.

46chevyfleetline 11-12-2005 08:50 PM

Up till about 7years ago I worked in a small 1 car garage or outside on the gravel driveway. I was introduced to a fellow who is now as close to me as my own brother. He had built a shop for plans to retire doing what he loves and that is working on and restoring old cars like ourselves.His love is 49 to 51 Mercs and Monarchs.The only thing is he had no one to help him. His only son has some mental problems and is up and down frequently. We hit it off right away and after these last few years of alot of after work hours and alot of bucks saved from paying customers we are finally fully operational with an engine room, paint booth,car hoist and all the goodies. I am very fortunate to have met such a great friend that has the same intrests as myself. We just wish we had met 30 years ago. The shop is 38'x 72' with 14' ceilings. I think we all pay our dues on our backs in the cold and snow under a car but for some of us we get lucky and I am grateful of this every day. There are a few guys around here that rent some barn space from some of the farmers around here and there is more and more guys builing very inexpensive work areas out of greenhouse hoops and 4x4. The poly that is used on greenhouses now adays will last 6to eight years. You cand put up an 18' x 30' green house for under 1000.00 . Good luck on all your projects. Cheers!!!

redlightning 11-12-2005 09:36 PM

About a year ago I bought my house.One of the reasons I bought it was that it had a 30x40 metal shop.It also has a small place to paint that folds out that the owner used to paint his motorcycles.Now that I have a nice shop,I have no time or money to use it.

alkyaltered 11-12-2005 10:03 PM

After dealing with some problems with neighbors,i'm finally putting my metal 30/56 building up.

Took seven years to get to this point should be up in a week or so.

Man i can't wait gonna light my blown alky hot rod off and piss the neighbors off again. :evil: