Hot Rod Forum banner

Where do you get your scrap?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Gearz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've really started to get going on my Model A project, but i havent welded in several years, I want to get some scrap metal to practice for a while before i have a go on the actual frame/car.. Any places you suggest to get some scrap to practice on? I honestly can't think of any place.

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
Gearz said:
Hey guys, I've really started to get going on my Model A project, but i havent welded in several years, I want to get some scrap metal to practice for a while before i have a go on the actual frame/car.. Any places you suggest to get some scrap to practice on? I honestly can't think of any place.

Thanks for the help!
local Machine shop scraps.

#4 ·
wretched ratchet said:
Maybe some old hoods from the local Boneyard ????
Hmmm the only boneyards i can think of in this area are the local u-pull it things that would charge like 150 bucks for a hood... of corse i would probably be able to practice a lot on one hood. Didn't even think of that

I think i'll call around to some local places as well as some local machine shops as mentioned by dinger...

Thanks!

#5 ·
now that you mentioned hoods, i just remembered i have an old damaged xj jeep hood sitting in my shed :thumbup: I'll pop that sucker out and get to laying some beads!

Jeez funny how little things jog memories of all the "treasures" i have laying around lol

#7 ·
The scrape yards aluminum and steel (not cars) were always a good place for me to go hunting but they've gotten funny about letting people go wandering around out there so another good place is at the local tech school (welding) just get to know the teacher a little and he might let you rummage thhrugh thier scrap pile its also a good place for buying larger pieces at a discount...then you have the welding and fabricating shops and sheet metal shops that make heating ducts and such.....theres lotsa places...They sell it by weight so everybody gets a deal....

#8 ·
Sheet metal, mechanical machine, steel shops are a lot more savy about the worth of their scraps now days. Expect to pay scrap metal prices at least for any thing in their scrap bins. I have good luck at the places that I buy my steel and sheet metal since I always ask if it is ok to prowl through their scrap ever time a make a purchase. Right now I am in the market for some H beams and square tubing for support and have learned they charge for it by the pound and steel is sky rocketing right now. Makes no sense since steel construction world wide is way down. I think they are just jacking the prices just to make up for reduced volume (sort of another thread, but....)

Trees

#9 ·
wretched ratchet said:
If you don't mind my asking, what type of Welder do you have??
All i know is that it is a base model wire-feed mig. I'm just using it while i save up for the arc welder i want as i prefer arcs anyways.

My dad got rid of that hood last week of corse. So back to searching, I think i'll give a call over to the community college about 3 or 4 miles from home and check them out, if not i found out that my dad's work has some that i could buy :thumbup:

#11 ·
KInda depends on what you will be welding on ,, sheetmetal or chassis stuff,, if you are just gonna be practicing laying a bead, I would suggest something a bit heavier gage steel,, look in the phonebook for steel scrap yards,, recycle yards... they sell by the #.

most hardware stores carry a little steel.. you wouldn't need a very big piece,,,,,

#12 · (Edited)
evolvo said:
Save up for a better 220V shielded gas MIG welder. Cave men use arc welders!

Haha as you can tell I haven't welded in many years and don't have much experience but the only way to get better is to practice. I really only have experience with stick welders. I'll be sure to research my next welder to no end..

Mon and Tues are my weekends, I left a message on a teachers VM i know at our community college, hopefully he'll get back in time for my 'weekend' and i'll be able to head out to get some stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.