where edelbrock/carter carbs do there stuff =] - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

where edelbrock/carter carbs do there stuff =]

mid afternoon yesterday i started doing some serious tuning to my 1406 after all you guys helped me out with the tuning/understanding the carb. the 4 hole adapter helped a bunch and with that. the calibration i was using ( 3 stages lean cruise ) was super lean 1200-2500 rpm... when all of this before i did it at night with a fairly cool air temp, putting along down the street and took the long-flatest way home ) finally made everything lean, soooo lean i had to turn around down the street and limp her back home =[

after changing the springs all the way from my 3hg springs to the 8 hg and the rods 2 times ( 7 times total) changing the metering system is really simple/painless.

my neighbor told me yesterday his buddy has his mustang as his daily driver and his weekend warrior, i guess when he plays he puts a certain rod/spring combo in and then hes got a set for daily driving, supposedly the daily driving set gets 15mpg in town and the play combo gets 13 sec 1/4 hahahahaahah =]

( idk how true this is but it sounded kinda neat =p )

now running 1 stage rich in the power mode ( # 2 ) the carb seems to be doing 15.3 afr during the power mode and 15.7-16.2 during the crusie mode.( 25-35 -40 mph )
i might go one step richer in the power mode just to prevent pinging while under a heavy heavy load or adjust the acc-pump to the bottom hole for richer step ?!

the truck runs tons better then before, soo much smoother and has just about the same amount of power. the motor even sounds better. 650 rpm idle, smooth as glass when over 140 *F ( i didnt adjust the idle with afr in mind) <<< thanks guys =]

ive decided this time im going to see how accurate my gas guage is and buring all the gas in the tank so that i know how how many miles i can go on empty...

we had a jeep that went about 50 miles on empty, got lost in the mountains a few years back and found this out the nerve racking way

so far im 22+ miles past empty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

You want to get your power circut around 13:1 for good power and mileage, maybe even a hair richer than that. Running lean can lead to a lot of other problems. Your cruise afr should be safe but fix your power circut.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
LEROYDOZOIS (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
You want to get your power circut around 13:1 for good power and mileage, maybe even a hair richer than that. Running lean can lead to a lot of other problems. Your cruise afr should be safe but fix your power circut.
i was thinking that. we have a 26 ft boat that weighs close to 4000 lbs sooooooo i was a little scared about that, sounds like ill be playing with jets here in a little. last thing i want is to have my towing vehicle stranded with a boat behind it
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

15:1 is so lean your asking for detonation to set in and destroy the engine. That's so lean it's likely borderline detonating pulling it's own weight, when you add a 4000 pound boat behind it @ 15:1 you won't make it 10 miles and you'll be referring to your engine in the past tense. Leaner mixtures burn slower and hotter which makes detonation set in faster. Reflect back on the GM vehicles with small blocks in the 80's that used the CCC system on a HEI and Quadrajet. These were set up to run lean as possible and how they did so without cooking the engine was limit the spark advance to not only a low base timing but also low total advance. Then they used a EGR valve to keep detonation at bay because it just the incoming mixture with exhaust gas and since exhaust can't be burned twice it acts as a form of cooling which greatly reduces the upper cylinder temps by lowering the burn temp of the mixture by diluting it.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
a red wool sock on his dinger

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision View Post
15:1 is so lean your asking for detonation to set in and destroy the engine. That's so lean it's likely borderline detonating pulling it's own weight, when you add a 4000 pound boat behind it @ 15:1 you won't make it 10 miles and you'll be referring to your engine in the past tense.
I agree, 14.5:1 to 14.7:1 is where I'd be looking to get everything set to as lean cruise.
For POWER, go for 12.5 to 12.8:1, your pistons will thank you...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

finally.

so after going to the 3rd stage rich in the power mode my truck drops ro 12.7-13 when i step on the gas, richer the harder i step on it. soo im assuming im in the ball park here =]

thankyou guys for your help =]

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.