Where to find A.C. parts for a Nova restoration? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 03:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Where to find A.C. parts for a Nova restoration?

I am restoring—in a small degree—a 1973 Nova. The car is in good structural condition and has a decent paint job, however, it has been tubbed and had a roll-bar installed—somebody was trying to make a quasi-race car. I will be fitting it with bucket sport seats and a fuel injected LT1 engine for street duty. Spring is soon to bring summer and I want to have air conditioning for this daily driver. Did these cars have a firewall mounted blower/evaporator assembly or an interal, dash concealed unit? I haven't taken apart the dash to check for anything, but I do know that there is nothing on the firewall.

I am assuming the worst and am prepared to replace the entire HVAC system—for all I know, the car may not have even had it from the factory. I tried searching the internet for projects such as this but found very little information. Can anyone point in the right direction or share some helpful knowledge? I am hoping to replace the entire interior as it has been butchered for "weight" purposes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I know that classic industries has a bunch of nova parts, I looked on the website and they have the evaporator case and bunch of other hard to find AC parts which may or may not help you.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....A0~~~~~A30~A21

I thought that the Nova (and most other 70's gm stuff had a different cutout in the firewall for AC cars. I know the evaporator lives in the engine compartment, to the left of the fan.

If I were you I'd try to find the whole assembly out of another car, you will save a ton from having to buy it new, assuming you could find it all. I would check one of the nova forums and see if that housing was unique to the nova, or if the monte carlo or chevelle or camaro used the same setup.

The other alternative is to get a system from one of the retrofit companies like Vintage Air, Airique, or Old Air.

It isn't stock, but if you did not have AC to begin with it might be esier to install..

Hope this helps,
Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM

oldairproducts
Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Might ask over at www.stevenovasite.com/forums . They call the '68-'74 Novas "3rd-generation", so try that section.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

classic auto air in tampa florida can help you restore it
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
Might ask over at www.stevenovasite.com/forums . They call the '68-'74 Novas "3rd-generation", so try that section.
i was browsing these forums the other day(I have a 74 SS) and I noticed someone was parting out a 73 AC car. You might want to check that out.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 AM

If it was an original A/C car, you can probably restore it with a combination of new and old parts. Most original A/C cars had different firewall openings and plenums. If you find the right donor car you can add these parts, but you really need the complete setup.

There are newer compressors and condensers you can use to update the old A/C system. On my '75 GMC I switched to a Seltec compressor, parallel flow condenser and new barrier hoses, and the A/C performance difference was impressive. I can get a vent temperature of 35 degrees when its 90+ outside. The Seltec mount still uses a very long belt (like the old A6 did), but the compressor is much smaller and lighter. I left the rest of the A/C system the same (e.g., evaporator and controls, etc.) and it works well with the new components.

If it wasn't originally an A/C car, then the easiest (but not cheapest) solution is a kit from Vintage Air or one of the other places that offer a complete package.

Bruce

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.