Where to find sheet metal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Where to find sheet metal

Hey all,

I called my local metal supplier today, and they said that for a 4X4 sheet of 18ga steel, it would cost me $45 dollars. Does anyone know where i can get some cheap sheet metal in northeastern ohio?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Zip, The bad news is steel took a major leap in price about 2 years ago, just about doubling in cost. This is because of many factors and with the cost of fuel for both production(takes a LOT of energy to produce steel!) and delivery it looks like it is going to get even worse, I run a welding shop here in Tennessee and the cost of steel is my biggest concern right now. I hate to say it but the fact is asking where to find cheap steel is kind of like asking where to find cheap gas
Old 10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sounds about right

That price is about what it goes for..Around here it may be a bit more for that sheet..Sorry the price of steel is a shocker whenever I go to get some..

OMT
Old 10-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

That is a reasonable price, you could possibly find some salvage sheet metal but it would be rusty and probably bent too. Nothing is cheap anymore.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Gulfstream Steel in NC sells 4x8 sheets of 20 gauge for 26.00, i bought two of them last weekend, i guess that pretty cheap then?

Brendan
Old 10-27-2005, 06:38 PM

wheres that at in nc. im from nc/sc area. do they have 1/4 inch sheets?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:56 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

My understanding is that by getting a 4 X 4 sheet, you will be paying for cutting it, and they will actually probably charge more because they now have scrap left to sell. You might want to check on a full sheet. It may be cheaper to buy it all. You can't have too much sheetmetal around. LOL

As for the question on 1/4", it is usually not considered sheetmetal, it is plate. Some sheetmetal shops may carry some, but may need to go to a fabricator for that.

Aaron
Old 10-28-2005, 05:23 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It's a good day to recycle the skin of some boneyard relic. Sometimes you can get free sheet metal that way. One of the local yards had a pile of hoods that local body shops had dropped off and the owner was happy to let me haul them away. None were rusted and only 1 was hail damaged. This was before scrap prices shot up, so you may have to bid against the crusher. I think $0.08 a pound is about what crushers are paying salvage yards now, so it's still cheaper than new sheet metal.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

its called gulfstream steel in hampstead nc (about 20min from wilmington), 800-316-1288, they stock a ton of aluminum stainless and steel and they specialize in findind weird sizes and shaped, i'm sure they have plate, give them a call they are great to work with and very helpful, i got my 2" by 10" 20 foot length for my e wheel for like $280

Brendan
Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

cheap steel

I work for a powder coating co in franklin PA.I ask my boss about some 16 ga.he gave me 4 sheets for free.they build metal furniture an I powder coat it for them an they let me coat my stuff for free,they furnish the powder and still give me a paycheck,what a job.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

I don't know what you are doing and how much steel you require, but a source of cheep sheet metal is you local appliance center that buys and sells and repairs appliances. Usual they get the old stuff hauled off for scrap, and the sides of fridges, washers, driers are not dented and large enough to make it worth it. So i went and asked if i could take the sheet metal off the side and he said take what you want. Off i went with the nippers and cut off 3 fridge sides and a chest freezer side. I think that they were about 2'x6' or about the size of a fridge side. Made rust repair patches for my truck out of that.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 12-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

For smaller pieces I check behind body shops and HVAC (heating/furnace) shops. Takes some work, but you can usually find different guages, and it often already has good paint to keep it rust-free. Just put your color over it. I use it for heat shields, small fabrications, etc.
Just an idea...

John
Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

source for sheet metal

I am in a small town, but we have a scrap yard now called a "recycling center" .I have bought much new sheet metal,square tube,plate,etc. there. It seems at the end of the fiscal year some of our local plants clean out their inventory and scrap partially cut sheets etc.to get them off their books .we have an industrial furnace manufacturer in town that scraps some beautiful stuff. I have bought 4x4 sheets of chrome plated steel most cost me about .10 a pound, but they will actually give small quantities to you.they deal in tons,they arent worried about a couple of pounds of steel.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Try calling that same metal company and don't tell them you want a 4 x 4 piece, just ask them for scrap pieces you might get it cheaper, it works for me.
Rob
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc
Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Like robs said...some suppliers will sell you "drops" of mat'ls pretty reasonable. I went about 10yrs ago to a place taht specialized in alloys. It was a $50 minimum to pick around in their "drop box". I still have brass, stainless, sheet and bar copper, and steel from that visit. FYI, most industrial suppliers sell the material by the lb price plus a cut fee (also mentioned above). The last suggestion I can offer is to try your local body shop supplier for sheetmetal. Last I recall pretty reasonable and decent size, but lightly coated. Good luck.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.