Where to get electrical wire? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

For only wiring the compressor, on a 30A breaker from the main panel, I wouldn't need #6 anymore would I? #10 is rated at 30A. The compressor max draw is 16A.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

To avoid any chance of voltage drop I wouldn't go any less than #8 copper
Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 AM
speed freak

lol, I love questions like this. The person asking is from Va., and one responder is from NJ, the other from the other side of the country.

Seems they are both correct about the wire size and ampacity, but have different ways of doing it. I have been a licensed journeyman inside wireman and journeyman residential wireman for near 20 years, and I agree with bigun, BUT huskinho might be right, because every jurisdiction (area) has different code requirements.

I might suggest that you ask a local licensed electrician what the requirements in your area are.

Personally I would not use USE aluminum feeder wire, but thats me, and your situation might warrant using aluminum wire. Is is a bit cheaper, but you have to increase the wire size 2 times to equal the ampacity of copper, and that can make it more difficult to work with, depending on the physical size of the panel, cabinet or disconnect you are using. Plus, by using pipe, it allows you to change wire at a later date if you ever were to change the panel to a larger one. If you do use aluminum, make sure to use a anti oxidant at every point of termination. Do not overtighten either, as this can cause the wire to sweat. Heating and cooling of the wire, along with this can cause the connections to loosen and begin arcing, again causing failure. Do not strip the wire by running a knife in a circular motion around the wire. This might score the wire and create a spot in the wire which might creat heat and cause premature failure. Also, make sure you bury either deep enough. An electrician can tell you what is legal in your area as well. Don't ask the guys at Lowes or Home Depot, they are just salepeople, not electricians.

And, around here, SER wire is not USE wire. SER=service entrance wire, and USE=underground service entrance wire. There is a big difference.

good luck

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.