where to get felt padding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

where to get felt padding

I'm looking to get some of the felt padding that GM used behind door panels and under carpet. The closest thing I have found has a foil layer on one side. Is this stuff just available at upholstery shops?

I've already used some of the modern sound deadener sheets, but I want to get some of the felt for additional insulation.

Thanks,
-Michael

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 PM

NVH material

NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) materials can be found in a J. C. Whitney catalog as well as Grainger or F. B. Wright. All are on-line. Unless you are going for a concours restoration, I would stay away from the felt because it holds moisture. If you really must have felt, try an upscale carpet store or upholstery shop. The modern materials are better in all respects.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

www.chevsofthe40s.com has the original felt, but there are far better/ cheaper products in today's market. if you were going concourse, the only exposed felt insulation would be in the trunk in the trunk lid.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Oh... that kind of felt... I must have the name wrong.

I'm looking for the multi-colored stuff that GM used in the '70s and on... looks like fabric scraps all stuck together. My '96 Impala has it behind the doors, as does my '98 Ford 150. My '80 has it under the carpets, but didn't get the Quiet Sound option that put it behind the doors and rear seat.

I have looked at the modern products, but I don't want the foam pads that get stuck to the door panel. I want regular padding that I can attach with plastic nails and still have access inside the door. Also, the rear doors have all kinds of sharp angles, I don't think a heavy foam will form to the contours like the padding will.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

HI: Matt167 is right, there are cheaper, better products that will do the same thing. Any upholstery shop can tell you what alternatives there are. Take a piece with you. The product you are talking about was also used in living room furniture as padding over springs and thinner versions were used as support under outside arms and outside backs. The newer products won't hold water and are easier to work with. I use a product called poly-felt which is completely white and only 3/16" thick. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Thanks! I'll try an upholstery shop. I wouldn't mind a modern type of felt padding, but I don't want any of the asphalt or foil-backed products the catalogs sell.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

i believe you are talking about "jute"
Old 09-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

He's not looking for jute which is more in the way of carpet padding. There are thinner jutes that were used for padding and sound deadening, but that's not what he's looking for either. As I understand the question, he wants a very simple, thin padding to put under his door panels. He doesn't want to use Dynamat-like products. He described the product he was looking for as a felt that looked like rags bonded together. That product,in a variety of thicknesses depending on the application has been around for a long time , but is falling by the wayside as other products become available. For those kind of applications, the modern man-made fiber products which come in many different styles, densities and thicknesses would be perfect. Just my opinion.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.