Hot Rod Forum banner

Where to get started.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  35Ford 
#1 ·
I have a 35 Ford Tudor that is in pieces, It has been in a garage for 39 years this way.

I have the fenders, the front grill and the hood. What I dont have are the front light assemblies. WHere do I get started on the exterior??( I posted a where do I get started for the interior as well)
THe body is solid and I am assuming that I just need to get a new rolling chassis, so where do I get started on the body???

Thanks

#2 ·
35 Ford, that's a very open question. You can do any number of different things and they could all be right.(depending on your objective) Are you going original, or custom? Most of us start with the frame and drive train first. (after dissasembly) If your going custom you may not want the original lights You may want to mold them into the fender or hide them behind the grill. Need more info. A lot of these guys have a lot of good ideas and they have provided me with new ways to think about doing mine.

#4 ·
38 Special and Willys have good words. Need more info. As far as light assembly. Mac's, Bob Drake, and Dennis Carpenter can help, but costs bucks. In the overall scheme of things, they really are not much different than buying head light assemblies for late model cars. For street rod purposes they offer great reflectors with Halogen Sockets and bulbs. I beleive the 35 car used the same headlight bucket as the 35-37 PU and if so, I can send you two good ones, you pay the shipping. If you are going street rod, I can't help you, but if you are going origional, I have a complete 36 rolling frame that can be used. Attach a seat, hook up a battery and you could take a spin around the block, flat head style. This would cost you some bucks and you still ahve to get it home. Waiting on more info.

Trees

#5 ·
Guys, Thanks for the quick replies....So here goes, I will try to give as much details as possible and try to help me here... I have been told that it will cost more to do this car than just building a replica...so here is the story this was my parents first car dad at 16 and mom at 14 they bought it for $25 bucks, so thats why I am re-doing it. With that, the front fenders are off. Its on the origional frame, the back fenders are still attached, one of the side windows is broken, but the other 5 are ok, Doors operate and latch, the windows go up and down.
I figured that I do need to get a new frame, ( rolling chasis??? correct)
I dont know how to classify what I want to do?? I guess it would be street rod, but I want to keep the origional lights, and body ( no chopping) but I want a beefy engine in it.
I didn't what to do anything to it until I knew what I was doing.... Should I be stripping the interior? taking the body off the frame?? taking doors off/windows out??

I am assuming this will be a couple year project where I farm out most of the work. I am in A northern Detroit suburb.

THanks for your comments...keep em coming.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.