Where have sold your used car parts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: One More Seat
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Where have you sold your used car parts?

oops, forgot to proof the title, oh well!

I want to start this thread with the understanding that I have no intention on selling anything over this fourm!!! With that said, I have a rod shop with the focus being body and metal mods. Over the years I have pigon holed a bunch of stuff that im sure would be helpful to the right people. The question I have is where have you had the best luck in advertising your car stuff for sale? I know all about EBAY, and those kinds of places. By the time i take the pics, write the add, post the stuff, answer all the emails, then shipping, well I just dont want to do all that. Craigs list looks promising, but havnt looked into it yet. Where do the Hotrodders go most frenquently to look for the good stuff?

Advertisement

Last edited by Metal Twister; 06-27-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have not bought anything like that here, but these forums have free adds in the "classified" area.

The link is at the very top of the page on the right side.

Who knows...you may have parts "squirreled away" that I need. LOL
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

If you have any Buick parts, send me a private message
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

you could look up forums specific to the parts you are wanting to sell and place the ads in the appropriate places.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN2XLR8
If you have any Buick parts, send me a private message
No, No, No I dont want to go there. I was just wanting to find out where you go to find the parts you need?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

I have bought some vehicle specific parts off of various forums. Those forums deal with those vehicles though.

This is the only non-vehicle specific forum I am aware of. You have some of everything here.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I do most of my used parts buying on E-bay. That said I'm pretty picky about what I bid on and the feedback of the seller. Good feedback and a good quality picture are my minimum requirements to buy anything.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
I have bought some vehicle specific parts off of various forums. Those forums deal with those vehicles though.

This is the only non-vehicle specific forum I am aware of. You have some of everything here.
I just blew through this forums classifieds the other night, it seemed a bit lean? do you use this forum for ads?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

I have never sold any car parts online.

I look through the ones here when I need something, but so far not many things for my 56 have popped up.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
I have never sold any car parts online.

I look through the ones here when I need something, but so far not many things for my 56 have popped up.
So would you say that you buy from the local shop, mail order, or maybe the local hotrod swapmeet, before you would on line?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Yes...most of the time. I have bought a few things on other forums from members too. Just not this particular one so far. I have not found anything I needed here yet.

I bought a tailgate recently from a member of my truck club who I have never met. It was posted in our news letter that I needed one and he contacted me.

I cruise U-pick-it yards when I can.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes...most of the time. I have bought a few things on other forums from members too. Just not this particular one so far. I have not found anything I needed here yet.

I bought a tailgate recently from a member of my truck club who I have never met. It was posted in our news letter that I needed one and he contacted me.

I cruise U-pick-it yards when I can.
Cool, it seems that eveything comes in and nothing out around here. My mezzanine is starting to sag. Ive got to find a good outlet for this stuff. Thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister
oops, forgot to proof the title, oh well!

I want to start this thread with the understanding that I have no intention on selling anything over this fourm!!! With that said, I have a rod shop with the focus being body and metal mods. Over the years I have pigon holed a bunch of stuff that im sure would be helpful to the right people. The question I have is where have you had the best luck in advertising your car stuff for sale? I know all about EBAY, and those kinds of places. By the time i take the pics, write the add, post the stuff, answer all the emails, then shipping, well I just dont want to do all that. Craigs list looks promising, but havnt looked into it yet. Where do the Hotrodders go most frenquently to look for the good stuff?
I usually go to the local swap meets (gotta see the stuff in person / impulse buys) or E-bay- haven't tried Craigslist yet, there seems to be alot of shysters on CL
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 AM

Last photo:

Parts

I have had my best luck on craigslist and H.A.M.B. for some reason I've never sold anything from here even tho the pictures post well and it shows a large number of visits .The only responses I got was from two scammers,has anyone else had better luck selling here?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
As long as they are "mailable", EBAY, EBAY, EBAY. I have bought and sold many, hundreds, if not thousands of items on eBay. If eBay would let me, I would kiss it on the lips. It lets me sell stuff I don't want, and buy stuff I do, all with paypal, no money is put in the mail, no tire kickers, no bringing people I would rather not have on my property here. The "audience" is WORLD WIDE. I have sent stuff all over the world.

I will commonly have a few thousand dollars in my paypal account all over "junk" I find aound the house. When I am hot on something, like I am on my truck right now, I will be getting items in the mail a few times a week! I call it "Christmas" like getting a present from a distant aunt when I was a kid. I don't like the catalog streetrod building, I want "real" hot rod parts. I find the damnest stuff. How about getting in the mail an NOS Mallory Dual Point conversion kit, then the next week getting an NOS Delco Distributor to put it in! I buy very few things for "too much". Though I do that occasionally, where I MUST have something and bid out of sight to get it. Most stuff is very reasonable considering I don't have to leave my dining room to find! I love swap meets but that is a LOT of work. Selling is the same way, I have sold stuff that I had literally thrown away. I had thrown it in the garbage and later saw it and thought....EBAY. I put it on and got thrirty or forty dollars for it. Hell, I pick up a part out of the garbage at work that has been replaced, a headlamp with only a few cracks, and put them on. I have sold headlamps for hundreds of dollars each. Items that I have seen thrown away day after day!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-28-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.