Where to jack up rear of a 1941 ford? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Where to jack up rear of a 1941 ford?

Hello guys my dads got a 41 ford and its been stuck in the garage because the brakes are locked. Well he finally went out and got a low profile jack for me to fix it but I don't know where to jack the thing up at.

It has like a huge frame in the middle that kinda forks into along the driveshaft but that is much too far in the middle to reach with the jack.

Now there is also frame rails but instead of being ones like on my 65 mustang which are a U and attached to the body in 2 places these are an L and only attached at 1 point. This is the closet and looks to be the best point but these L's scare me as I believe they will bend in and I will be in trouble. Anyone know where to jack stand this thing and where to jack it up at?

Looking to do this in the safest way possible.

Advertisement

Last edited by nba1341; 01-13-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

Here is said car and its dusty but these are best undershots i could get right now

Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you are using a floor jack, put it under the center of the rear end.......Stands could go under those spring perches, should be strong there
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
You don't have to worry one single big jacking that old Ford up on the frame rail, spring perch (not the spring) one side at a time under the rear end under the spring (RIGHT UNDER THE AXLE) or in the center as Poncho suggested.

But lifting it right under the center of the rear end and then placing the jack stands under the rear axle is perfect.

Brian
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

How are the brakes locked? If it's the emergency brake, try kicking the cables a few times to jar them loose. ALWAYS use jackstands though! Chock the front wheels if you jack it up in the front.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

i believe its the e brake that is locked as there was smoke coming from the rear tires
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

With your level of expereience how do u plan on attacking this brake problem. I fear u may hurt youself . You need some input from your friends /relatives that can come over and take a look.
When were the brakes smoking , Would like more info.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

Pretty experienced with cars and jacking them up ect. Also have done all sorts of brakes on cars without a problem. Just never jacked up something with a massive frame underneath and then rails that were an L

my mustang isnt a full framed car so yea

Anyways the car had sat in the garage for 2+ years without ever moving. I would start it up and run it to operating temp about once every 2 months. Last summer my dad wanted to take it out and wash it and detail the engine so he could take it to a show. Did all that while it was in the drive way with ebrake on. Took it down to the gas station and noticed when we got their there was smoke coming from the rear brakes. Tried pulling and releasing the ebrake with no luck. Made it home right up the street from the gas station and parked the car in the garage. Now the thing will not move anywhere brakes are completely locked. It is all drums around and I dislike drum brakes because well at least on my mustang they always love to get leaky wheel cylinders and just have problems.

Plan is to jack up car take off tire get and look at the brakes and see whats wrong in their. I would assume maybe the wheel cylinder leaked and dried up and thats what caused the brakes to lock up completely versus the ebrake cable but maybe you guys have ideas. Although smoking the brakes on the entire trip home on the gas station thinking about it is probably the parking brake being locked up...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.