Where to Put All The Relays - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Where to Put All The Relays

Hi Guys,
This is my first post here. I figure if anyone can help...you guys can. Ok to the topic at hand.

I'm installing a 502 BB in my 65 Vette Cp..sort f a restro Mod thing.
Now .. With the new radiator which has dual fans and the new electric fuel pump an several other items that use 30/40 amp relays.... finding and mounting a palce for all these relays is a real pain..!!!

I don't want wireing running all over the place with a bunch of relays stuck on the firewall and inner fender well skirts. I have been tring to find a nice clean box for plulg in relays that you can wire up and keep in one location.

If you look at alot of the import cars as well as some of the newer American cars...they have a nice box under the hood on the fender well that has a sharp looking clear plastic cover all labled with the name of the relay and fuse. I am mainly concerened with Relays only in this box

So far..I haven't found anything on the Hot Rod Market like this. Have any of you seen anything that you could suggest??

My only other choice is the Junk yard and a pair of wire cutters to try and adapt someting.

Suggestions Very Welcome ..Thanks Guys..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

relays

I would put one relay for the fans on the inner fender and direct wire the fuel pump with a heavier wire.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

Re: relays

Quote:
Originally posted by bracketeer
I would put one relay for the fans on the inner fender and direct wire the fuel pump with a heavier wire.
Thanks for the reply.
I have 2 fan relays 1 fuel pump relay and several other relays that will be doing different things. All tolled about 5 to 6 relays.

So you can see that putting these all over the fender's and on the firewall will look kind of messy with all of the wiring.

That's why I'm looking for an enclosure to put then all into.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Go to a salvage yard and purchase the box only from them. You can usually search any yard at will,remove the box,you can keep the bus bars inside if they are there and remove what you do not want. That way you know you have a stout piece that will handle the underhood and environment since it was designed for that. Then when you find a place to install it in your Vette you can run all the wiring and route the relays the way you want.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by RCastle
Go to a salvage yard and purchase the box only from them. You can usually search any yard at will,remove the box,you can keep the bus bars inside if they are there and remove what you do not want. That way you know you have a stout piece that will handle the underhood and environment since it was designed for that. Then when you find a place to install it in your Vette you can run all the wiring and route the relays the way you want.
Thanks,
Yep..That's what I leaning towards.. Can't belive that even a company like Painless doesn't make anything like that.

Well..maybe I should start building and selling a few..

Any more idea's???????
Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Roll your own

I would think that a fellow could get some Lexan and build a box that would meet your needs..as far as building something like that for sale I do not think anyone would have a clue as to how big, how many relays or any of that, that may be needed by any individual car builder....

OMT Home bro!!
Old 02-18-2005, 04:45 AM
Last photo:

I would do what RCastle suggested, that way it would look sorta factory.

Vince
Cam Ranh Bay RVN
1971-72
Old 02-18-2005, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

When I wired my key-less remote system I mounted everything to a panel then put the panel into a Tupperware type container. I drilled holes in the back to mount the case to the front of the trunk and one hole to allow all the wires to exit. I like to use balk head connectors so I can remove the whole assembly without cutting wires.

It worked good for 10 years. I am now redoing it because the old system died. I am doing it the same way.

One advantage to wiring it into a box is that you can conserve wires. You only need to bring one Feed one Ground and one Ignition Feed. I used those screw terminal blocks to share the power and grounds to all the relays. You can place the fuses inside the box too. Now the only other wires going in and out are the low volt switch wires and the high output power wires.

You are talking about exposing the box so I would find a good style box or make one. Look at tackle boxes, tool boxes, or go to target and look for anything that is a box - lunch box? Could be cool. Or make a louvered panel to cover a boring box.

Last edited by evltwin; 02-18-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltwin
When I wired my key-less remote system I mounted everything to a panel then put the panel into a Tupperware type container. I drilled holes in the back to mount the case to the front of the trunk and one hole to allow all the wires to exit. I like to use balk head connectors so I can remove the whole assembly without cutting wires.

It worked good for 10 years. I am now redoing it because the old system died. I am doing it the same way.

One advantage to wiring it into a box is that you can conserve wires. You only need to bring one Feed one Ground and one Ignition Feed. I used those screw terminal blocks to share the power and grounds to all the relays. You can place the fuses inside the box too. Now the only other wires going in and out are the low volt switch wires and the high output power wires.

You are talking about exposing the box so I would find a good style box or make one. Look at tackle boxes, tool boxes, or go to target and look for any thing that is a box - lunch box? Could be cool. Or make a louvered panel to cover a boring box.

Yep...That's excactly what I want to do... Consolidate it all together...

Now..Guess what I found yesterday..... Somebodies Got there tinking cap on .
Check this out.. Now I know I'm not crazy..

http://www.dedenbear.com/mrc1txt.htm
Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

The relay center looks cool.

Some things I like better about the homemade system is the price and the closed box. The relays are still open on that product. Left in the engine compartment they can be difficult to keep show clean. If you are planning on driving and showing the car.

I checked Ebay and there are some relay centers for sale there. Someone else here had suggested looking at using a production car set up.

It all depends on how you want your engine compartment to look. Many hot rodders like to hide/creatively run their wires. Some like to see the gritty look of modules and wires exposed.

Your body is fiberglass if you don't care about being original you could cut a hole into your firewall/wheel tub/radiator support and cast a box into the hole. Then use the piece you cut as the door to the box. Run all the wires in a channel cast with the box and all the wires would be hidden. That is alot of work and time but its an option.

Might have to design your engine compartment.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:54 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp...41&image1.y=31
When I put the relays in for the driving lights on my truck I used a "Project Box" from Radio Shack.
Lay out your relays in an organized manner and measure the size. RS has a number of different sized boxes so you should be able to get one that will work or use two or three. They are very cheap and work great.
I routed all of the wires up through the bottom with factory loom and painted the box body color. It looks factory and nobody even notices it hanging on the left front inner fender. The removable lid will polish up nicely or you can paint it also.
Mark

Last edited by astroracer; 02-18-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:49 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

relays

I have painstakingly removed every relay out of my car. The starter solenoid is the only one left. I can't imagine anyone wanting to put more in a car.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.