Where to start: Tools - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Where to start: Tools

After reading where to starts on several sites and forums, i thought I'd get "crunk up" this morning with my words of almost wisdom.
Where to start? Tools and a dream. That is all you need. Dreams change. Styles, outside influence, environments, availability, and ideas change faster then a wet diaper. If you are going to do this at all, think on tools. I used to get a magazine that had great articles on "15 things" Once they did one on 15 tools you really should have. I couldn't find it, but I remember some of it.
First: Hand tools. Good ones such as Craftsmen, Mac, Snap-on, etc. Don't let mom buy you tools for Christmas from the General Dollar store. Tools are an investment so spend wisely. By hand tools I am talking box end, open end, nut drivers, screw drivewrs vise grips, hammers, sockets, tape measures, etc.
Second: Bench Tools. AQfter hand tools, tings really get into a catagory of "shop tools" Meaning, you need a place to put these. I have never seen some one pull a vice or a grinder out of their trunk. A good vice is a great set of second hands. Get a minimum of a 6 inch jaw. A bench grinder with wire wheel is another invaluable tool. Bench tools are also, hacksaws, 48 oz. ballpeen hammer, and if you really want to get crazy, and small drill press and a chop saw.
Third: Light! You can't fix what you can't see. Get good overhead lighting and a florescent right over the bench. Drop lights are for tight and difficult spaces, not for illuminating a 20X30 garage. Oh, and spend the extra dough for a Ruff skin bulb for the drop light.
Four: A bench. This is you desk, your work space, your new home. Maybe peg board behind it for tools you use all the time. make it out of two bys or solid wood. Something that won't give when you are hammering the light socket into the chrome housing! Make it 30 inches deep minimum
Five: Power tools. This goes hand in hand with six. You need to decide electric or pneumatic. I'm talking a drill, side grinder, sawzall, jitterbug sander. I am a fan of DeWalt. I think Santa's sleigh is yellow! There are other good brands out there.
Six: A compressor. For my money, as soon as I get my own personal shop built, I will buy a two stage compreser and I will build a little room outside for the noisy bohemouth. There is nothing like using air tools for car work. It cuts you time by half!

I know I haven't gotten into jack stands, paint equipment, next level body tools, but what I am saying is to get started on a rod project, you need a place and some tools. Fishermen need boats, golfers need balls, (haha) hunters need guns. We need a place and tools.

Once you cover the basics, you start to choose your path of expertise. Body work? Motors? Trannys? Upholstery? The tool list gets varied from this point on.

As a beginning step into this hobby, you must be equiped to play. I am sure there are other that will add to this list. It is 6:30 in the morning, I do have a staff meeting at 8, but I just needed to do this. Enjoy the day!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2003, 06:28 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

INFORMATION! buy monthly car magazines,buy books on all aspects of cars and read them over and over.I consider this a great tool, before I do anything I read up on it until I´ve done it in my head, then I write notes to give me stepping stones.
I do it for, take it apart and for put it back together.

Oh! and this website, great place.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Blue Jay Racing

Last photo:

Great list!

I would also add a few items: A pair of decent knee pads, a pair of safety glasses, a pair of mechanics gloves.

A creeper and a short seat on rollers are also nice to have.

On my own list I also have to have some kind of hat- The seventies taught me that long hair + creeper wheels = ouch
Old 10-07-2003, 10:13 AM

I think it would be a great service to pin a list of tools that you must have, in order to get into the hot rod hobby.
I know it would help me tremendously. I'm sure there are alot, but a list, possibly with estimate of cost, would be like having a treasure map!

I'll start, even though i know nothing yet. I'm learning. Some of this is pure guesswork:

1st,
Safety Tools & Equipment:
1. safety glasses, @ $10-$15
2. A good set of mechanix gloves , @$25-$30
3. A set of kevlar gloves and sleeves(for hot work), @ $ 20-$40
4. A mask of some sort, to protect against fumes or other toxins
5. a good set of knee pads
6. A creeper
7. some sort of lift or roll ups with tire stops
8.wd40
9. fire extinguisher
10. eye wash, just in case
11. lighting

2nd,
Minimum Common Tool List
1.3/8" combo wrench
2. 1/2" combo wrench
3.1/4" combo wrench
4. standard ratchet
5. standard and metric socket set
6. standard and metric socket extensions and reducers
7.6"-8" phillips head screwdrivers
8.6"-8" flathead screwdrivers
9.vise grips
10.pliers
11. retrieval tool, magnetic and grip
12.adjustable wrench
13. hammer-rubber
14.standard hammer
15.ball pein hammer
16.utility knife
17. duct tape/electrical tape

i'm sure there are tons more and even tools on this list that aren't neccessary. But i thought if i started, then the experts would get involved!

i just thought...it's probably already been done and is in the archives. i'll go check...
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Needs of The Successful Home Shop
  • A refrigerator...

(Notice this can be hidden from the wife... )

• Dependable shop help while you are consuming cold adult beverages...

(This may be difficult to hide from the wife... )

-Used Tools .com-

I have come to realize after thirty-one years of marriage the type of sex my wife enjoys the most....

DOGGIE STYLE!

I sit up and beg...

And she rolls over and plays dead...

...sigh...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:16 AM

1. WD 40 - used on anything that should move and doesn't
2. Duct tape - used on anything that moves and shouldn't (see also construction adhesive)
Old 01-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

tools

books specific to your ride. Carb rebuild books and trans rebuild books. The mags are cool for getting ideas from and saving articles from too.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 01-19-2004, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

treasure map

thats a great idea madd its very hard to buy a second handtool at a yard sale if you don't know what it looks like maybe we should have a printable treasure map in our knowledge base
particularly with body tools cross pane hammers dollys
bog files flippers pullers the list goes on, some of my best tools are from yard sales i bring them home clean/repair them. the
secret is knowing what it is and if most of its there. It so happens i get some real bargain's too useful tools i couldn't normally justify paying top dollar for. and the older tools are often better made mmmm Quality
Old 01-21-2004, 02:31 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

you also may want to look into getting a 220 volt plug installed in your garage aswell. just incase you decide to do any welding. Oh and a oxy-aceteline (sp) cutting torch also would be handy.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

band-aids. lots and lots of band-aids!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

what tools?

A good hand cleaner and shop rags. Paper towls and a rags from the salvation army or local used clothing store. Oil dry not kitty litter. The list is almost endless. Jacks, stamds, ramps,wheel blocks, tire irons, breaker bars. Very large and very small screw drivers.

Tazz

Rat rods Rule!
Old 01-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I give the occasional lesson to college kids and young girls or gals getting started. The first thing I do is take a modicum of tools and walk around the car showing them how each socket or wrench should fit on the fastener they would be working on. Standard on older cars, metric on newer cars and when to use standard or metric on the mixed up 70s and 80s cars. Then I just walk them around the shop showing them what I use the most. All of this is written on paper for them to research and replicate later. I like how a few of the posts stress so many safety items. Great job guys.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Knowlage,your brain is the most important tool, then,Practice,Practice,practice, have fun and enjoy yourself.There is no better hobby

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« 366 | 1st build »