Hot Rod Forum banner

Where we going to be in 2013???

2K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  kitkar 
#1 ·
HEY: if you go to many NSRA events most of the car are driven by dudes MY age 59!! Ten years from now what is going to happen to all of these cars?? I have two sons in their mid 30's but they don't have the time , money or complete dedication that I have. The younger guys do not relate to cars that they didn't see growing up. Most of the young guys around here are into the rice burners with most of their bucks in the sound systems. There are more SOUND SHOPS than SPEED SHOPS??? What do you think?? Maybe we could sell them to the Iraqies without the drive trains and a bunch of Flintstones reruns HUUUMMM.

#2 ·
I watched the Barrett-Jackson auto auction last weekend and I noticed quite a few hot rods being rolled down the auction lane. I'm afraid that alot of the hot rods and muscle cars will be like Deusenbergs or Bugattis someday, they will be out of reach for the average guy. But, as long as they build cars, people will modify them, and hotrodding will continue.

#3 ·
Thats when guys like me and neil will be around making the big money buying all these things up and fixem em up and taken them to the drag strip and shows... Not to mention making sure that if we have kids they get into it too so that they can have these cars passed on to them... don't worry it is all gunna be okay just make sure that you guys write up wills so when you sadly pass away you can leave the car to someone who is going to fix it up or sell it to somone who will love it as much as you do.... may I suggest me??

#4 ·
I don't think speed shops will ever close. There is a big bunch of 5.0 mustangs in the sacramento area, and most of them don't know crap about them so they pay some of the speed shops to tune them up for them.

I think its pretty much like the music or entertainment industry. Sure there will always be the classics, but more come out every year that new people fall in love with and go out and buy. So i think that fewer people will be fixing up 50, and 60s cars but more 70s and 80s cars. I know that i can relate to late model muscle cars, so i definately know i'll be building some in the future.

#6 ·
im 17 and own a 81 malibu 2 door with a 350 I!!! just recently put in, also i did a shift kit

muscle cars are great, who cares about gas its fun as hell to drive when u have over 300 ponies pushing ya from behind instead of 120 pulling ya from the front.

#8 ·
I'm 23 and love all the old cars.At age 9 my first ride in a muscle car was in a low six second 1/8mi car.Once the wheels come off the ground theres no turnin around.As a kid I allways built models of muscle cars and drag cars.At age 17 I got a 51 chevy pickup(ran outta money and sold it).Did my first motor swap at 18 and have built several SBCs.I do my on work except paint(you don't wanna know).
I think mostly without factory muscle cars at affordale prices being offered most guys won't get a taste of cool cars,cause there not cruising up and down the boulavards to be seen.But those of us that grew up at the drag strip or in a garage with our fathers and uncles get the feel for the real cars.
As a kid I remember seeing 5.0 mustangs and Iroc Z's and TAs and GNs so thats prolly were I get my apreciation for those cars too.But I love the muscle cars too just can't afford a decent enough one to drive and restore and don't have a place to restore one.
Another thing is that most guys my age haven't got any credit and have very low income.So a 50s car or 60s muscle car is outta reach.Although considering the prices some pay for stereos I take that back. :)

#9 ·
78 you know some define a muscle car as being v-8 2 door rear wheel drive meaning that to some those 80s cars are muscle cars...

To me although I own one I just consider them 80s cars that need some tweaking to be real fun...

Umm can all you guys leave loudmalibu out of your wills and put me in instead....
heres why:
1 I need the car more
2 I like BBB
3 I'm willing to do it up anyway the will states as long as I can have it
4 I like BBB
5 I need the car more
6 You guys are like family to me and family gets in the will

Okay I can see this isn't going to work but how about this:

PLEASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :(

#12 ·
stoned, those are all good reason, but you aren't getting in my will, because hopefully you will be writing yours at the same times as me, being young guns of the site. Also, by that definition, a mustang is a muscle car, and i say nay to that. A muscle car is a smaller bodied car with a big block thrown in it. Chevelle's and GTO's are muscle cars. Don't get me wrong, the others are great, and they can hold thier own when done just as good as a muscle car, but they are not definative. And i am over-analytical, so definitions mean quite a bit to me. Oh, and good luck getting in some wills. I will stick to getting good insurance, so you can move up if anything happens, and if it doesn't, you aren't going to fall behind.

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Croz ]</p>

#13 ·
can't blame me for tryin

oh yeah and whatz this talk about an accident I can catch up..

I love my car... it may be an 80s thing but it is truely my 80s thing... I can go buys muscle cars all I want after I finish school.. right now I will stick with my 80s thing

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: stonedchihuahua ]</p>

#17 ·
musle cars are obese dinosaur relics of an age gone by. eyesores rusting in fields, with obsolete engines. they burn oil and an excessive amount of fuel to drag their behemoth weight. they are inefficient outdated technological relics of a bygone era. however the pure fun factor of running a huge engine in a behemoth car that noone has seen in ages cant be beat. as long as people have a sense of style these old cars will never go away. :D

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: lookatme ]</p>

#18 ·
behemoth weight? You don't pay attn. well. A muscle car is a smaller body car with a big block shoved in it. My GTO with me in it and the original engine weighs the same as a 92 dodge stealth. My car has a V-8 pontiac 400, the stealth has a 6 cyl. and they still weigh very close to the same. Oh, and sorry bud, but you can't be a rodder and a conservationist.... Pick one and we will alert green peace for you.

#19 ·
The classic hot rod is, sad to say, bound to fade in history. It is just a fact of life that pop culture has a fixed history. People grow up with something that is wildly popular; get to early adulthood and drop that thing in favor of building a family, career, etc.; reach middle age where a) nostalgia hits and b)they can afford to slow down and afford the attempt to relive their childhood and reacquire that thing. It is at this point that "old " stuff becomes relly popular but that rises and wanes over a 15 year period 'til it loses it's nostalgic value and is forgotten. Hot rods are following that model exactly. Popualr in the 40s and 50s, waned in the 60s, hit bottom in the 70s and has become gigantic in the 00s. There is a very good reason we hot rodders are in general in our 50s and 60s. We are reliving our childhood. Sure there are exceptions but in general, this is how it goes.

These life/trends have abour a 60 year cycle.

Same thing is happening with toy trains. Marx and Lionel prices are through the roof with the same generation as hot rodders. However, do you ever see Red Rider or Hopalong Cassidy or Roy Rodgers stuff in huge demand. No, because that generation has passed.

Hot rods will decline and mini trucks and Volks rods will be the next hot items.

I saw a TV inerview of a guy that I think wrote a book documenting this theory as beign pretty accurate.

#20 ·
croz. gto, dodge stealth? hardly in the same leage are you reffering to a 69 gto with the smaller body? you'd haveto be, comparing a 2door gto to a stealth is more like comparing apples to oranges. the gto is an all steel(except the interior) compared to a mostly composite body car that has current technology to aid in weight reduction,furthermore the sheer bulk adds an endeering quality to a vehicle in my opinion. As for green peace they happen to be a bunch of tree huggin wackos in my opinion, what with their extremist views. I'll pick the gas guzzlin' oil burning tire frying car any day of the week over the save the whales. but to all good things must come an end and as willys said
"The classic hot rod is, sad to say, bound to fade in history"
it is just the way things go. :(

#21 ·
Originally posted by 78 monte:
<strong>
Another thing is that most guys my age haven't got any credit and have very low income.So a 50s car or 60s muscle car is outta reach.Although considering the prices some pay for stereos I take that back. :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Im 20...in college...and I am buying a 1953 Ford w/ the original flathead v8 (runs and drives) for $2500. I may put another $2k into it initially, and then I will have a $4500 car. Thats like 1 year of work at a part time job. You just have to be really into cars to wanna do it. I think most people think to build one of these cars you have to build it from a hunk of scrap metal. This is gonna be my first hot rod / classic car, and I made sure that it runs, stops, no major damage etc. I dont wanna get in to deep my first time.

#22 ·
All right you young whipper snappers, I'm "drawing" Social Security and will start Medicare soon, but the flame is far from out!! My favorite bumper sticker is "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!!". Also, if you think about it, we Hot Rodders were on the cutting edge of resource conservation. That's why my license plate is RECYCLE 1, 2, 3, etc. We may burn a little more petrol than some, but just think of how much energy and other recourses we save by continuing the life span of these old cars. I have put well over a million miles on 25 + year old car/trucks and am shooting to double that. 54 Hunter, welcome to the club. What sort of late model junk could you get for $2500 dollars and just think, your car will appreciate as it gets older unless you total it. And Willis 36 has hit the nail on the head. If you want to know what is/will be hot, go back about 25 years and you got it, late 70's!! I have a son and 2 grand sons and my son is the care taker of my two 36 Ford rods for the grand sons. Course they may be worn out by the time I'm done with them!!! Sorry Neil and Stonedpuppy. For all you other young guns out there, keep the flame burning. I don't give up on the ricers, but I sort of feel sorry for them cause so much of the good stuff is out of their reach. A couple of clubs in the area welcome them to the cruise in and they pick up trophies for their class and the have the same pride in that piece of junk just like we do in our Good Old American and some European iron.

Trees

#23 ·
HEY: You guys see my point. How many younger guys are going to be able to afford a 1934 Ford streetrod for $ 35,000.00 to 50,000.00?? There are a lot a really nice cars out there that were built with big $$bucks by guys my age ( 59) that had jobs in auto industry making $ 35.00 per hour. At Street Rod Nationals in Louisville there were 12,000 car.. average age of owners was in mid to high 50's...average cost of some of those cars was in the $ 30's to 50's. How many guys can cough off those kind of bucks, raise kids, buy house??? I bet not many???

#26 ·
Wow, you guys are so right. Im actually a ricer convert. I had a honda civic that I fixed up, but someone ran a stop sign and it was totalled. Ive always been into older hot rods, but never thought they were within my reach. After I actually researched it a bit, I realized this is something that almost anyone can do. I can just imagine 30-35 years from now, my generation are going to be clamoring for the '94 Civic hatchback they had when they were a kid. LOL...the future is gonna be a trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.