where's the water pump?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 07:03 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

where's the water pump??

hi guys, not a rodding question but i need help.I just swapped in a motor to my 3.0 minivan (dodge).
i swapped a motor from a 89 to a 94 many changes had to be made (even the wires to the efi had to be swapped. i got her up and running but it is overheating, i cannot find the water pump. the only exploded view i saw pointed to an idler pully as the water pump. i took out the thermostat and put it in hot water and it opened. i have to check the pump next, but can't find it.
If anyone can guide me i would appreciate it i can't believe i changed motors and it worked, but i cannot identify the water pump.lol.mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 08:12 AM

timing belt??

it either runs off the timeing belt or it will be on the front of tyhe engine, running off the belts and will be towards the front just can't remeber wich one it is. but if you can't find it i would bet its run off the timing belt.
Jesse
where did your new engine come from?? are you sure the head gaskets and everything are good???
Old 07-04-2004, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

i found it!! it is on the timing belt route behind the pullies and behind a plastic schroud.apparently as long as you have timing belt, you have water pump (except on rare occasion where the fins rot off).now, how do i get the air bubbles out?? i don't hve access to a vaccum pump as i live in the boonies.i tried filling the engine and installing the thermostat but it blocked itself. the top hose is still cold. i let it go till it almost got too hot. (more heads please!!)and couldn't get it to flow.
is there a trick to these little sideways pieces of crap??man i wish all american cars had a s.b.c....lol.mike
i can't find the old (bleeder) like on the old k cars. wish i could
Old 07-04-2004, 08:43 AM

pull the t-stat and fill the engine up as full as you can then put the stat back in, this will put as much water in it as possible, well if the stat is the highest part of the system if a heater hose is higher pull that to let the air out. also make sure you have your heater on when trying to get the air bubbles out.
Jesse
Old 07-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

i bought an old van that had just had the motor rebuilt and the tranny went. i have the reciepts for the engine work. i tried the method you spoke of no go. my buddy said that you had to shut the heater off cause it has a valve wich will cause bubbles.tried that, no go either. i'll just keep draining and filling till something works i guess, any new thoughts let me know, mike
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Open the thermostat with your hands and put two or three aspirins in it to hold it open. Now install it and add coolant to the engine. The aspirins hold the stat open and allow all of the air to burp out and the engine block to fill up completely with water. Once the engine runs and the coolant circulates awhile, the aspirins will disolve and the thermostat will work normally from now on.
Or you can drill a 1/8 inch hole in the t-stat. That'll let the air burp out as well.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

well the thermostat came with a small hole with a brass thingey in it to let the vapor lock out. just not working as invented.spent most of the day sanding the vette, i'll try the van again this evening.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:15 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

If you haven't tried this yet jack up the front of the van and run her with the front end up in the air. This will tend to help the air pockets make it to the radiator. In some auto parts stores they sell a kit called the 'Spill Free Funnel' (name may vary by different manufactures). It is a huge funnel with different adapters to fit on the top of your radiator. This allows you to fill up the radiator and then allow for some expansion as she warms up and burps. I use one at work all the time, works great. With the front end lifted and a little extra room for expansion without a spillover mess I can usually get most systems burped fairly easy. Hopefully you didn't get a defective t-stat or have other issues. I took a few pics of the funnel, worth having if you do your own cooling system services.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg imag0001.jpg (97.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-04-2004, 03:15 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0002.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2008  
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 AM

Last photo:

if i ever see one for sale, i'll be buying it. i have never had such fustration doing this before. my buddy is coming down today to help.hope he can as these are my main wheels. and when the main wheels stop, work on the vette has to stop.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.