Whewww......this sucker is stout! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Whewww......this sucker is stout!

Well, I took the S-10 for a spin just a little bit ago to do a little shake down and see how the new parts like eachother. I tweaked the VE table a little bit since I knew VE would go up with the new heads. AFR looks good everywhere up to a few psi boost and just needs a little massaging.

I must say that I am a little scared of the throttle after the couple of short spins I took. This thing has got a bunch of power for a little truck. I basically never hit boost and it is just making a butt load of torque. I almost went in the other lane when the nose laid down after getting out of the throttle. I did make one little run where the engine started to see boost. At that point the tires broke loose, at about 70mph mind you, and I had to come home and clean my shorts

I am about to go out for a final ride for the day and do a little more datalogging and flogging. I'll be back.

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 03:24 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

aw man that's awesome!

so do you think you're going to have some traction problems at the track? lol
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Awsome Chris. The way you described it,I felt I was riding Shotgun with ya. More info....Take us for a ride.
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

truck

Will you be needing one diaper or two????

Keith
Old 02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Yea Chris, Keith can send you some adult size if you need them. just kidding keith.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Well, the diapers are not a bad idea. I took it out again and got on a good smooth stretch of road and things were much better. I ran it up again, but I dont know exactly what was going on because I did not get the datalog saved...which sucks. I did push it a little harder this time. It sung up to 56-5800 like it was nothing and hooked pretty good once I got in 2nd gear. I pushed harder and 3rd. With every touch of the throttle it just roared louder and pulled the nose higher. It is freaking wild!!!! I have riden in a couple of 10 second cars, and this thing is ALL THERE!

And I still have not touched the fuel tables except to fattent them a little since the engine change. AFR and EGT are staying in check as far as I can tell.

Chris
Old 02-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

My little brother is wanting to turbo his Mustang,of course he is wanting to go with a little something more than the 5.0 in it,I have been wanting to tinker with them myself,if he goes that route I will be hammering you with questions man. I dig your set up just because you do not see a lot of SBC with turbos. You know they are there just do not see them often. I think you have to have one of the cooler rods on this board.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:07 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

He probably has one of the coolest S-10s in the country for that matter!
Chris, you got a digital video camera? I'd love to see a little AVI file on it! Wail hail, pull the ears back on that animal and let'er run a bit! WooWhooo!!
Old 02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Your going to have your work cut out for you in the traction dept.

We were at the track Sat. T&Ti'ng the Malibu for bracket season and a guy had a tube chassie late model 'Stang that was TOTALLY WICKED!!!!

He left the tree and about 100' the turbo's kicked his ***** sideway's on the first 3 pass's. On the 4th pass,Tire's squawling,he ended up turned the oposite direction in the other lane.

HE needed the diaper's for SURE. He loaded it up after that one.

Turbo's are very cool power adders and have unlimited potential.Besides, you don't have to have a "bottle warmer" handy either.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

when we going to the track?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Clueless Teenager

Last journal entry: Misc.
Last photo:

That sounds AWSOME!!! Do you think you'll post some pics anytime soon? I sure would love to see that beast man. I wish I had the money to build up something that nice, lol.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Sounds WICKED, Kevin. Engineer in a throttle kicker that will automaticaly kick back when the boost kicks in so you can keep under control...... No such thing as too much power until you surpass the managable point!! Sounds like you are there. Adding the turbos to a big inch, stout motor is like puting an after burner on a very high thrust jet!!!

Trees
Old 02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
when we going to the track?
We can meet in Kenedale or something around there sometime if the old girl will hang together a while this time. PM me if you are really interested. I will probably be going pretty quick.

RCastle, I am always up for talking turbos. Just post away or PM me any time. They are fun, but you need to know a few things before taking one head on.

Skyman, click my avatar for a bunch of pics.

I do have a digital video camera and I will get some video when I get a chance. I have to get my brother to go with me and find a stretch of road that I can play on that is also close to home.

As for traction, I think it will hook at the track fine. The second time I went out today it was on good pavement instead of the old slick crap. It hooked good in high gear when I gave her hell. I will probably be taking it easy on the launch for the first few times until I figure it out and get the 4 link set. I also have to take it easy until I figure out if wheelie bars are needed. I am going to go to a test and tune night a couple of times before bracket racing.

Later,

Chris
Old 02-27-2005, 07:56 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
I do have a digital video camera and I will get some video when I get a chance. I have to get my brother to go with me and find a stretch of road that I can play on that is also close to home.
Yoswer! I'll be waiting( and wiping the drool off my keyboard 'till then)!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Sounds WICKED, Kevin. Engineer in a throttle kicker that will automaticaly kick back when the boost kicks in so you can keep under control...... No such thing as too much power until you surpass the managable point!! Sounds like you are there. Adding the turbos to a big inch, stout motor is like puting an after burner on a very high thrust jet!!!

Trees
I can keep boost low with a wastegate spring pretty easily. I could remove the spring and block the valve open for tuning, but it is so close right now it is really not needed. I think that it is going to be managable on good pavement and at the track. The extra smooth older highway type roads are going to be a no-no since I think it could spin out at any speed.

The afterburner is a good comparison. I think this engine would make 500HP without the turbo.

Chris

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.