Whining Alternator? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Whining Alternator?

Hi,

I've got a $$ one wire alternator that's working fine other than load whining when I start up. Belt ease works for about an hour then back to normal. It's started months ago but thought it was from the power steering belt. Any suggestions?

Loco

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

The shaft bearings are leaving you for lunch. Replacement will be in order. You, also, need to carefully check alignment of the pulley/alternator to insure front to rear alignment with the other pulleys the belt(s) pass thru. You also need to check alignment in the up/down and side/side planes of the pulley/alternator to insure the shaft and its bearings aren't being pulled on sideways in one or more planes of alignment.

All the other pulleys in this system need to be likewise checked as their miss alignment, out of round, or other vibration modes will be transferred by the belt(s) to the alternator.

Bogie
Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Does this only do this on cold start up? Then subside after a warm up and short drive?

What (if any) RPM Range does this occur?

A One wire Alternator will not charge on "First start of the Day" without an RPM Bump..It may be your on the threshold of that RPM where the regulator is trying to turn on..(imposing a counter load) but Isn't quite up to speed OR the regulator is "Slightly" Flawed..Low "warm" RPM may cause this also..

Remove the belt, Check the pulley for shaft movement , In/Out..up and Down..you should have none..

Next spin it up by hand and listen and feel for roughness within the rotating mass..either will indicate a repair or replacement is required.

You can get a Rebuild kit for about $15 Fazools..that has ALL the suspected parts within it..

If you rebuild the Alternator, When you go to install the bearings in the End~Bells, before you do, get a SMALL , SHARP center punch, make a Dimple on the race each 1/3 of the way around the end~Bell race..(don't over~do it though..) .

This may require the Cases be tapped with a rubber mallet when you reinstall them , making it a slight bit more difficult to seat back together..However The Bearing will NEVER spin in the race or wear the end bell from side load.

On Rebuild, (IF not chrome housings) Half the cases, get some (about 2 cans of Gunk) Engine cleaner, go to the local coin op car wash, spray it down using both cans, let it sit about 5 minutes, Put your kids college fund in the little one armed bandit box, for about 4 or 5 minutes time on the machine..

Set the selector for Degrease..and spray until time runs out..

Then again, take a second mortgage and fill the box again for 5 minutes and spray it set for rinse..Let it dry in the sun..Or better if they have compressed air..blow it dry..Then take it home and do your inspection and bench work.

If you have Chrome housings you may need to clean by hand and rag..else risk etching the chrome..

When done, you should have a "Good as New" (if ot better) Unit ..

Doc
Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

As an alternative to all that work, you could swap the Alternator with the person on the "Engine" forum who wants a whine from his engine and is complaining about it being too quiet.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

If a little belt ease makes the while go away as stated, I'd suspect the belt is either dry or not tight enough. The newer high amp alternators do put up quite a fight when charging full out. What is the amp rating on the alternator? What kind of belt? V belt or Serpintine belt?

Mark
Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstrooper
As an alternative to all that work, you could swap the Alternator with the person on the "Engine" forum who wants a whine from his engine and is complaining about it being too quiet.
Doc here,

Had To Chuckle at that..I read that post also...

Might Solve both problems..

Personally , get concerned when my Engine speaks Fluent "Whine/Growl"...

When My German Shepard Howls in harmony with the noise emitted from the snout of the engine.. AND It's not even a Full moon..

Doc
Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info. You folks always make me feel like family. Now that I have this information it gives me insite on how evaluate the problem further. I have an old alternator lying around I'm going to install to narrow the problem to the alternator or the pulley. My buddy says that the pulley just turned 30 this year so it may need replacement as well Bogie.

Thanks Docvette, a rebuild sounds intimidating. Thanks Jmark
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomark
Thanks for the info. You folks always make me feel like family.

Thanks Docvette, a rebuild sounds intimidating.
Doc here,

A Rebuild is REALLY quite simple to do..

Once you have it off the engine, and apart, and cleaned up..Only takes a Novice with NO experience about an hour to do on a bench..Can save you up to $200.00 Fazools...

No special tools are Needed, And You Can't screw the parts up (they won't fit anywhere else).

99.99% Of the time anyone can do it correctly the first time, and end up with a better unit then you can buy over the counter today..(the old stuff was built much better).

Good luck which ever way you go..

Doc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.