White Smoke, I'm at a loss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

White Smoke, I'm at a loss

I have read many posts on White Smoke..... Added a fresh 10Gal of gas to an empty tank.

Oil still looks good not milky at all.

The coolant level is not dropping at all.

I disconnected the tranny from vacuum and ran the engine for 20 Min's. (as suggested in some posts), this prevents sucking any tranny fluid, I think?

I still get white smoke. At idle it can be seen faintly but when I open throttle it starts to bellow out. (can be seen in the link to the vid).
The one thing that does concern me is a high pitch screeching sound when I open the throttle.

Comment greatly appreciated...I'm no auto expert but would that noise suggest an internal problem? or water pump?

Video of White Smoke Have your volume up to listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM

white smoke

Warm up the car to operating temp. Shut it off. Pull spark plugs then crank it over to see if you are pushing water out of a spark plug hole. It can be a couple of things. Cracked block, head gasket, valve seals or tranny line. Hope this helps. Al
Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 AM

Screaming

I have found different type of belts will make that kind of noise.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

I had the same thing happen to me. In my case, the head gasket was blown letting small amounts of coolant into one cylinder-bad news was that I had to resurface the block to fix the small channel that had developed because I drove it like that for too long. Hope your problem has a more simple solution. Bill
Old 09-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The white smoke that you see is more than likely steam....it will get worse and one day it will lock the engine up and you will not be able to start it. You more than likely have a blown head gasket.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
The white smoke that you see is more than likely steam....it will get worse and one day it will lock the engine up and you will not be able to start it. You more than likely have a blown head gasket.
Even though there are no signs of coolant loss? This is what baffles me, I can run the car for a while on the weekends and the coolant never drops down. The coolant is right at the top of the rad when I take the cap off. It should drop some if it were leaking into the engine, right?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Chev
Even though there are no signs of coolant loss? This is what baffles me, I can run the car for a while on the weekends and the coolant never drops down. The coolant is right at the top of the rad when I take the cap off. It should drop some if it were leaking into the engine, right?
very small amounts of coolant are leaking into a cylinder and steaming off. check the plugs, you will find 1 that is pure white and squeaky clean, that will be your culprit cylinder
Old 09-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

What Matt said....Your head gasket has just bearly started leaking...but trust me it will get worse in time. You could have a small crack in your block or one of your heads but I figure its a head gasket. Matt is right the cylinder getting the coolant in it...the plug should really clean looking. Only two colors of smoke on gas vehicle engine..blue smoke ( burning oil) and black smoke ( Gas too rich). White is always steam from water or coolant getting into a cylinder.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

You probably know this but, if and when you do pull the heads make sure you take them somewhere and make sure they're not warped, which can be taken care of by the machine shop. Don't just pull the heads and swap out the gaskets. They sure aren't as cheap as they used to be.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:14 PM

Last journal entry: plugging away
Last photo:

blown head gaskit trick

my old trick for detecting blown head gasket was to pull rad cap run engine at idle till it reach operation temp two things can happen one it bubbles up like a milk shake two you will see pepper like substance in rad fluid both are a bummer
Old 09-23-2006, 05:17 PM

58chevy,

I watched the video and I think you have some tired valve guide seals. The smoke is from the oil running down the valve stems and being burnt in the combustion chambers. It smokes more when you open the throttle because the vacuum at the back side of the intake valve goes up and draws in more oil. Try adding some over the counter stuff to your oil to soffen the seals. From sitting for long periods of time without moving some of the seals may have gotten a "set" which will cause them to leak. If that doesn't work then the heads need to come apart so you can put new seals on the valves.

From the looks of the back of the car it has been in the garage for some time now.(no tail lights means you can't drive it on the streets) So the noise you hear when you rev the engine is the V-belt slipping on the alternator or water pump or both. Buy a new one before you take your 58 on the streets.

Scholman
Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Header design
Last journal entry: And still more pics...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I don't know how accurate the colors in the video are but it looks to me like the smoke has a bluish tinge to it, indicating burning oil. Since you have no coolant loss or mixing, I would try an additive as scholman suggests. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a coolant leak into the combustion chamber but all I can do is call it as I see it, and from the video it appears to be blue smoke ( burning oil).
Old 09-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

I agree, I have totally poor eyesight, and a slow computer BUT that looked like blue smoke..most likely from dried up and cracked Guide seals..

Doc
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
very small amounts of coolant are leaking into a cylinder and steaming off. check the plugs, you will find 1 that is pure white and squeaky clean, that will be your culprit cylinder
OK, I looked at the plugs and not one was white or cleaner than the rest. All were fouled black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,

I agree, I have totally poor eyesight, and a slow computer BUT that looked like blue smoke..most likely from dried up and cracked Guide seals..

Doc
So should I just go and get some seal conditioner and add it to the oil? Is there something in particular (brand) I should look to buy?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:13 AM

58Chev,

Any brand is fine. But first do one more thing. Now this isn't a prank, smell the oil. If it smells like gasoline then you may have fuel washing the cylinders and at the same time thinning the oil so you burn more than normal. If the oil smells okay then put the seal conditioner in the oil. Be sure to follow the directions on the container.

Scholman

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.