white smoke with no crack - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 06:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

white smoke with no crack

I had a local shop rebuild my L6 226 flathead. Its taken me three years but I finally got it hooked up in a 56 willys pickup. When I start up it pumps out enough white smoke to hide a tank platoon. This happens until the motor is warmed up and then quits. Took it back to the rebuilders who magged the head and top of block, put on new head gasket and carefully inspected the cylindars. They reground the head flat. No crack. They thought they had it with a new gasket and called me to come get it. Next day, as they are backing it out of the shop, it smokes up again. They cant find a crack and dont know what to do. These are experienced guys (father and son) who have been in the engine rebuilding business a long time - not that they are infailable. I haven't a clue what to do and am very depressed. The frame off project is done and I cant get it on the road. Any good suggestions?

Also - its not running right. Hard to start without choke, stalls on quick acceleration until warmed up; runs rough and breaks down at high speeds ( I been sneaking it out on the road for a quick run every now and again). I cleaned the carb (single barrell carter Y) and installed a kit but that did not seem to help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2006, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

white smoke with no crack

white smoke with no crack? Catchy title...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:46 AM
floppers forever

when smoking does it smeel like coolant,is it using coolant?do you see bubbles in the cooling system when its running?is there coolant in the oil?we need a little more info because if they didn't take the engine apart and check for cracks disasimbled they will be.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:56 PM

hi ahaley 55

was your block decked for trueness or flushness before the head was put back on if not could cause that problem the cause not a proper seal between block and head and plus check bolt torks
Eric
Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_baller4692
when smoking does it smeel like coolant,is it using coolant?do you see bubbles in the cooling system when its running?is there coolant in the oil?we need a little more info because if they didn't take the engine apart and check for cracks disasimbled they will be.

I cant smell anti freeze, but my sniffer aint too good. If it is using coolant, it is not using much. I did not keep a close check until recently but I can see the level in the radiator and it has not dropped enough to warrent adding any. There is no coolant in the oil and I do not see any bubbles in the coolant.

The head was re ground and checked for straighness when the shop worked on the problem.

I have read of "litmus" type paper that can be used to check for combustion residue in the coolant. Does this stuff work if the coolant has been exposed to combustion gasses in the past. That is, will i get a postive read in old coolant no matter what the present state of the engine?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:58 PM

My Flathead 6 was running water out the tailpipe a couple years ago I was thinking of junking it. It was the orginal engine and the last time it had been apart (the PO told me) was in 1971, but then it stopped all of a sudden. I have been driving it sense then without anymore leakage.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:13 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

white smoke

How about putting a cooling system pressure tester on the radiator for an hour. Pull the spark plugs and give it a spin. If there is a leak it should show up.

russ
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Make sure the exhaust isn't condensating water during the cool down period after shutdown. Might need to poke a small drain hole (3/32) on the rear most portion of the carb next to the seam on the bottom.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.