Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   White smoke at startup, but goes away.. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/white-smoke-startup-but-goes-away-220045.html)

bigdog7373 05-31-2012 03:45 PM

White smoke at startup, but goes away..
 
Went to look at a 2003 4.8l v8 chevy silverado yesterday. Its in nice shape, has 175k miles on it. It started right up and ran smooth but had a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust, but after driving it was gone. Also the coolant level looked kinda low. Oil was clean though, as was what coolant was left. No blowby at all, actually the oposite, i would star feeling suction on my hand after a few seconds, but i believe thats normal. If it was a head gasket the smoke wouldnt go away right? Also it has been really rainy here lately so maybe moisture? Any thoughts?

cobalt327 05-31-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Went to look at a 2003 4.8l v8 chevy silverado yesterday. Its in nice shape, has 175k miles on it. It started right up and ran smooth but had a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust, but after driving it was gone. Also the coolant level looked kinda low. Oil was clean though, as was what coolant was left. No blowby at all, actually the oposite, i would star feeling suction on my hand after a few seconds, but i believe thats normal. If it was a head gasket the smoke wouldnt go away right? Also it has been really rainy here lately so maybe moisture? Any thoughts?

I seem to remember something about the intake leaking coolant on these, but I could be wrong. I'd wait to see if anyone else has info on this.

poncho62 05-31-2012 04:57 PM

Condensation in the exhaust system........an engine produces lots of water

bigdog7373 05-31-2012 05:44 PM

What about the coolant loss? Just a coincidence?
I remeber when i bought my truck with the 5.3 it warned me of low coolant a day later. Then never again. Weird...
Should i do any tests on it? Cooling system pressure test?

ap72 05-31-2012 05:57 PM

a pressure test wouldn't hurt anything. how much white smoke? is it oil smelling, fuel smelling, or coolant smelling? how do the plugs look?

the basic diagnostics can tell you a lot.

oscar327 05-31-2012 06:06 PM

My 5.3L did the same thing when i bought it with173k on it it now has 266k and runs like a top

BraveLil305 05-31-2012 06:10 PM

Worn valve guides?

bigdog7373 05-31-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72
a pressure test wouldn't hurt anything. how much white smoke? is it oil smelling, fuel smelling, or coolant smelling? how do the plugs look?

the basic diagnostics can tell you a lot.

I didnt have tools with me to take plugs out. And for the smell.. Dude to be honest it smelled like bacon. I'm not crazy either! My friend said the exact same thing. Bacon smell and smoke was gone after driving.
It wasn't a lot of smoke, just cloudy i guess you could say.

LATECH 05-31-2012 06:45 PM

Head gaskets.
The intake has no coolant passage.
A small amount of coolant is seeping into the combustion chamber after the engine is shut off, upon retsart later it puffs the coolant out, then clears up after a few seconds.
You can pull the plugs and look at them , you will probably see the coolant residue (color) on them.

bigdog7373 05-31-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATECH
Head gaskets.
The intake has no coolant passage.
A small amount of coolant is seeping into the combustion chamber after the engine is shut off, upon retsart later it puffs the coolant out, then clears up after a few seconds.
You can pull the plugs and look at them , you will probably see the coolant residue (color) on them.

Would this show on a pressure test?

LATECH 05-31-2012 07:08 PM

Most likely not. It is an obvious miniscule breach in the head gasket, and takes a while for the coolant to seep into a cylinder, you wouldnt see anything that miniscule on a gauge for the cooling system.
Your best bet is to read the plugs, also if it misses on start up, even just a little it may set a pending code or a one trip code for a missfire on the affected cylinder.
Bottom line though is coolant dissapearing slowly and no visible external leak, accompanied by puff on start up, very indicative of a head gasket leak.

bigdog7373 05-31-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATECH
Most likely not. It is an obvious miniscule breach in the head gasket, and takes a while for the coolant to seep into a cylinder, you wouldnt see anything that miniscule on a gauge for the cooling system.
Your best bet is to read the plugs, also if it misses on start up, even just a little it may set a pending code or a one trip code for a missfire on the affected cylinder.
Bottom line though is coolant dissapearing slowly and no visible external leak, accompanied by puff on start up, very indicative of a head gasket leak.

So stay away? Its at a dealer do you think they would allow me to pull the plugs? Would taking just one out be ok or should I check all? He's only asking $4900 for it.

poncho62 05-31-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
So stay away? Its at a dealed do you think they would allow me to pull the plugs? Would taking just one out be ok or should I check all? He's only asking $4900 for it.

Heres the thing...Its at a dealer and they havent checked it over?..If they had, they would have noticed the low coolant and topped it up.....You dont know if the coolant is just low or if its losing coolant...I think I would be passing on this deal...and this dealer

LATECH 05-31-2012 07:38 PM

It pays to shop. I cant answer the question, you have to.
Is it worth it to you to put head gaskets in it?
175,000 miles, 10 years old... 4900 bucks, tax , title , transfer of tags, repairs, all just to drive ??? :confused:
How do the brakes look? Are the ball joints OK? Tires? AC?
Look at the big picture. Sounds like impulse buying to me.

cobalt327 05-31-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog7373
So stay away? Its at a dealer do you think they would allow me to pull the plugs? Would taking just one out be ok or should I check all? He's only asking $4900 for it.

I have no idea if that's a good price or not- but I can tell you that if a dealer is pricing it below normal, there's a reason. I'd pass unless they warrantied it IN WRITING, and even then, what's your value on loss of use of the vehicle and inconvenience, etc.?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.