Hot Rod Forum banner

Whith all of this rust where do I start?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tanner30 
#1 ·
I have a 47 chev coupe and want to replace the metal where the body sits on the rails and the floor. Since the chassis is only 5 years old and in good shape I want to use it. Would it be best to take the body off of the frame first, or to fabricate the floor first?

Replacing the floor paneling seems fairly simple. But I don't have a clue how to replace the rotted metal where the body sits on the rails. Are there replacement patches I can buy for the areas that are frequent to rust? Also would I need a tech manual on the car to go by?

#2 ·
There is no tech manual to go by. Remember, these cars were not meant to last forever. Some just did!
I don't really understand your chassis being only 5 years old????? Was the body removed at that time and no repairs made or what?
At any rate, it is best to repair structural damage first then cosmetic stuff. I'd do it on the frame since that is were it lives and every should be lined up and straight.
There are probably no repair panels for this type of repair so you'll have to be creative and use what is left for a pattern and build new pieces. Just do one area at a time and leave the floor intact...it helps keep everything together.
I'm sure *****in' makes a new floor for your car. Get one of their catalogs. If you don't buy the thing from them you can probably go by an illustration in their book to do the deed yourself.
Best of luck. If you're lucky and diligent you can probably still drive the car while making the initial repairs to structure, then shut down temporarily for the floor.

#3 ·
The previous owner had put the 47 coupe body on a newer set of rails about 5 years ago. I was thinking work from the frame up and had the come-along and strong points all set up in my garage to take the body off. But I think your advise makes more sense.

Is there a standard gauge of metal used in car restoration or does it vary with the cars model and year?

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Tanner30 ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.