Who is disturbed by the words Merry Christmas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 10:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Who is disturbed by the words Merry Christmas?

Jackie Mason, the Jewish comedian, and a new group called Jews Against Anti-Christian Defamation, are rallying to defend Christmas. Mason walked up Fifth Avenue in New York yesterday handing out fliers saying, “Merry Christmas.” At an earlier press conference, Mason asked, “Who is disturbed by the words Merry Christmas? Christmas represents love and brotherhood.” Today’s New York Post contained many letters to the editor from Jews supporting Mason and defending the rights of Christians! It appears that faithful Christians and Jews are beginning to understand that we should stand together against the radical secular fundamentalists.

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

For The Democratic Party Members:

"Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere.And without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting these greetings you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher."

For My Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

From a Democrat to a Republican...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Later,
WEIMER
Old 12-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Cleverly disguised as grownup

Last journal entry: Hollman & Moody
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
For The Democratic Party Members:

"Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere.And without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting these greetings you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher."

For My Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thanks for doing "your part" to turn Christmas into a partisan holiday. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Peace on earth to everyone.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What also disturbs me is 'Merry Xmas', leaving the Christ out of Christmas on the very day of celebrating his birth is wrong. Christmas is getting more commercialized every year, it won't be long when you will be able to ask a kid in school the significance of the day and many will not know the answer. Dan
P.S. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I always liked Jackie Mason. I'm not especially religious, haven't been to church in years but all this "political correctness" about Christmas is "pizzin'" me off! If someone wants to wish me a Happy Channukah, or Merry Kwanza (sp?) or a Really Great Ramadan, Feliz Navidad, etc. I am not offended, I accept it as a greeting of peace and brotherhood which is what "Merry Christmas" is, it isn't a statement of " my religion is right and your's is wrong". C'mon people LIGHTEN UP!!!!

Here's one for you, my Mother's doctor is a Buddhist to the best of her knowledge. During a visit to his office last week she noticed his receptionist wishing evreyone a "Happy Holiday". When her visit was finished he walked her to the door and started to wish her a "Happy Holiday" but stopped midway through Happy. He looked around the room then quietly said "I know it's safe to say this to you........" Then he winked and said loud enough for his receptionist and everyone else to hear "Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

What I find offensive is a bunch of drunken Anglo Saxon's giving me crap about not wearing green on the 17th of March and wishing me "Happy St. Patty's Day". I'm Irish on nearly every branch of the family tree, I don't feel a need to wear green and get knee walkin' drunk one day out of the year to show it. The American commercialization of St. Patrick's Day has done nothing to defuse the stereotype of the Irish being nothing but drunken brawler's. I assure you just as soon as that stereotype is put to rest we'll cut back on our drinking and only fight on odd numbered days and no fighting on Sunday unless those stinkin' Saxon's start it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR
FELIZ NAVIDAD
HAPPY CHANNUKAH
"HAPPY"? KWANZA
BLESSED RAMADAN don't know if that's the right way to say it but you get the idea.

and...................

"HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!"

ERIN GO BROUGH!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Happy Christmahannahqwanzacah !!!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
What also disturbs me is 'Merry Xmas', leaving the Christ out of Christmas on the very day of celebrating his birth is wrong. Christmas is getting more commercialized every year, it won't be long when you will be able to ask a kid in school the significance of the day and many will not know the answer. Dan
P.S. Merry Christmas to all.
Christians believe that Christ is God.... extant New Testament text uses Greek. The Greek word for God is XTO.. hence the derivative Xmas.

But yes, I DO agree with you. The values of this nation and culture are being destroyed.

Let's keep Christ in Christmas.

check out post # 18 for updated info.

Last edited by xntrik; 12-24-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Many of you see the fish with IXOYE inside it. The X is the same as the X used in XMAS. I got taught this by a Nun while attending Catholic school. It has something to do with much of the earlly Hebrew being translated into Greek and then Latin and English. Many protestant religions do not like the X as they do not know the origin of it. I like seeing the supprised look on thier faces.

By the way, I think ONLY the liberal Media and the PC types in Holly Weird are offended by MERRY CHRISTMAS. I traveled to Egypt a few years ago on business. I departed on Dec 21st. Many of the MUSLIMS I worked with wished me a Merry Christmas. I do not mind the Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings statements as I do not remember a time when they were not used. I do mind Christmas Trees NOT being called Christmas Trees. They are NOT holiday trees for all holidays. They are for Christmas.

This is my $00.02 on this subject matter.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Well I guess I'm one of the main showings for liberal representation on this board, so here's my .02 take it or leave it.

Firstly, a sincere "Merry Christmas" is a phrase that I don't think should really "offend" anybody. Anybody who hears this phrase from you should at least know that your intentions were to verbally express your joy in the the holiday and spread it to them. Your intentions are good, and others should recognize that. Whether or not they feel right or comfortable with saying "merry Christmas" in return, is of course their discretion, and certainly not something I think you should be offended or taken aback by if they choose rather to say "thank you" or something to that effect.

The problem, of course, is that it may land a bit clunky upon the ears of a non-Christian, as you are making an assumption. For example, my brother is Buddhist. And not just one of the hippie uber-liberal-everything who like to go to the local tree-hugger book store and "meditate" with other hippies, this guy is the real deal. He'll have his master's in religion in the fall, and his Ph.d from Columbia university in comparative religion 4 years from now, not to mention that he has been a monk for no less than a year and lived another year in japan... if this gives you any impression of the type of guy we're talking about here. IN reception of the phrase "merry Christmas" he'd probably nod, smile and say thank-you. I seriously doubt he'd think anything other than the fact that you meant to spread a good sentiment, even if you did make an assumption about him. I do think the phrase in certain contexts would sound awkward to him, but I doubt he would hold others to the standard of thinking about religion in the contexts that he does... or really outside of the context of what they want to believe at all.

I think the real question is how any of the Christians on this board would feel if at some other point during the year, a man like my brother told you "Buddha be with you" after a short, friendly conversation. Would you be offended that he didn't name a religious reference according to your religion without asking you first, or would you accept the good sentiment, say thank you, and move on?

K
Old 12-20-2005, 08:26 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

One would have to be a real dork to take offense at a simple "Merry Christmas", no matter how un-religious one might be. I'm certainly not religious and I don't have ay problem with it. Because it IS the Christmas season, I share the spirit and the joy of it with others as well. Now, if I get a sermon or preached at along with it, that's another matter and I'd be likely to politely say "Buh Bye" and be on my merry way.

tom
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryblack
Many of you see the fish with IXOYE inside it. The X is the same as the X used in XMAS. I got taught this by a Nun while attending Catholic school. It has something to do with much of the earlly Hebrew being translated into Greek and then Latin and English. Many protestant religions do not like the X as they do not know the origin of it. I like seeing the supprised look on thier faces. .
I'm going to have to take this one up with Mom, she told me it was because people were to lazy to write Christmas, they abbreviated it to Xmas. Dan
Old 12-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
One would have to be a real dork to take offense at a simple "Merry Christmas", no matter how un-religious one might be. I'm certainly not religious and I don't have ay problem with it. Because it IS the Christmas season, I share the spirit and the joy of it with others as well. Now, if I get a sermon or preached at along with it, that's another matter and I'd be likely to politely say "Buh Bye" and be on my merry way.

tom

I think thats fair, I would only add that perhaps those who are more religious than you (be the christian or other) are probably more moved by references to religious holidays, and perhaps phrases like those carry more meaning for them.

K
Old 12-21-2005, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

I don't get it. I've heard Happy Hanukka, Heri Za Kwanzaa and such phrases, none of them have ever offended me at all.

The problem I have is that the phrase Merry Christmas has been singled out as being offensive and therefore excluded from any signs, decorations or anything accessible by or in public view. In order to be fair, the rest of the country has thiers knocked from the public eye as well.

That offends me. I like it the way it was.

Larry
Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

YOU CAN'T STEAL MY CHRISTMAS
Poem by Sharon Steege

I don't know who they are
Saying I can't greet the crowd
The way that I want to
Can't say CHRISTMAS out loud.

I walk into a business place
See things that I rather not see
But dare I not say CHRISTMAS
And ask for a "holiday" tree.

What happened to freedom of speech
And living in the land of the free
How can they take my CHRISTMAS money
But can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS to me.

Men and women have given their lives
So we could still go free
I wonder how they would feel
At saying "HOLIDAY" TREE.

Come on AMERICA let's wake up
Don't let our freedom escape
If they get by with doing this
What else will they take.

This is starting to get out of hand,
And I've begun to keep track
Well I've just about had enough
I'M TAKING CHRISTMAS BACK.

So MERRY CHRISTMAS AMERICA
I hope this gets all over the net
If we all stand united and take freedom back
'Twill be our best CHRISTMAS YET!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.