Who has built a Procharger SB Chevy-Step inside!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who has built a Procharger SB Chevy-Step inside!!

Hello-

I recently built a 383 Chevy and now want to put a Prochager on it. Currently the block is .060 4 bolt main with an Eagle cast crank, H-beam rods and KB Hyperutectic FT's. I have factory 441 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves.

I'd like to hear what other peoples experiences have been, both good and bad when doing a build like this. I've been researching forums and have a good idea what I'd like to do, but always like to hear what others have been doing. Ideally Im looking to build a decent 600hp engine that has good street manners for the occasional trip to cruise nights or maybe once or twice a year to the track. Long distance cruises across my state are not out of the question either at times, maybe two times a year.

Here are some questions I have:

Should I ditch the current block and go with one that maybe only needs .030 overbore, or am I safe running it at .060? I have been contemplating using a newer vortec block for a roller cam setup anyway.

To get to the 600 HP mark, am I better off with a P1SC or D1SC? Will the D1 work less to achieve the same results and make less heat?

I currently have a BG 825 Demon carb-Worthwhile to switch it to a blow-thru version or just buck up and purchase one?

Thanks for any help!! Jason

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A few years back, I had a Procharger D1sc, on my 03 Mach-1 pushing about 15lbs of boost on 91 octane. I am now running a Kenne-Bell 2.8 twin screw supercharger with 20lbs of boost. The D1 is a great supercharger, do not waste your time on the P1, (too small). The D1 is good to about 20lbs of boost. You will want your CR around 9-1. Just remember when it comes to Superchargers, HEAT AND DETENATION ARE YOUR WORST ENEMIES.

Make sure you run an intercooler, or some type of Methanol injection to keep the boost temps down, or you will melt pistons. You will have to run a rich AF ratio when you are in boost or you will detonate which is bad for the internals. The D1 in a centrifical SC, you will have a nice linear pull on the engine when you get everything dialed in. This type of SC is not too bad on internals, because it starts to make HP and TQ in the higher RPM range. If you can, it is best to have it Dyno-tuned, with a tuner who knows what he is doing. You will enjoy the this supercharger, just don't go to radical on the boost and everything will be fine. Nothing stealth about the D1, it sounds like a 747 jet at idle.....HEHE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.