Who hates NHRA's 12" rubber line rule? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who hates NHRA's 12" rubber line rule?

I hate the no more than 12" of rubber fuel line rule. What factory car does not come with at least that much fuel line? Heck even my motorcycles have more than that and they have yet to catch on fire. Sorry guys, just had to rant and ravea bit.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Some of NHRA's rules are a bit questionable, but you can imagine that without that rule, someone would run a rubber line from the rear to the front and hang it with baling wire.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454headache
I hate the no more than 12" of rubber fuel line rule. What factory car does not come with at least that much fuel line? Heck even my motorcycles have more than that and they have yet to catch on fire. Sorry guys, just had to rant and ravea bit.
Just use steel braided hose- it will pass tech.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
Some of NHRA's rules are a bit questionable, but you can imagine that without that rule, someone would run a rubber line from the rear to the front and hang it with baling wire.
For sure. .......... or some of that clear plastic stuff so they can see the fuel flow.. lol
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
They didn't just dream up these rules. Much of them were seen to be needed over years of DEATHS on the track. Yes it may be a bit overkill, especially on a street/strip car that isn't running 9's. But on the dedicated 9 second race car every one of those rule should be respected. They created them for a reason.

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

I do imagine most folks understand that the rules are a result of an incident or for the purpose of leveling the field . Apparently the poster got whacked by tech cause he had this rubber line, so he grips ..no big deal.

If I hauled my car to the track and over looked something like this and took a hit . I would gripe, I went to race.. chill out.

I am sure he is racing he understands the rule and would be happy to comply. He did not sound like he did not respect the rule to me .....
Old 08-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
I do imagine most folks understand that the rules are a result of an incident or for the purpose of leveling the field . Apparently the poster got whacked by tech cause he had this rubber line, so he grips ..no big deal.

If I hauled my car to the track and over looked something like this and took a hit . I would gripe, I went to race.. chill out.

I am sure he is racing he understands the rule and would be happy to comply. He did not sound like he did not respect the rule to me .....
I have been to the track many times to find my car didn't pass tech, I fixed it and got on racing!!!

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

That dose work if you had the part, guess he may not have ..
Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

We here have an issue with the local tech inspectors as they do not use a checklist when teching a car..so you go and pay your entry fee and then the tech finds something to fix you go home and fix it go back pay another entry fee and find out there is something else they don't like..Arrrrgh Grrrrrr..

Back in the day we had a checklist to follow when inspecting a car and followed that..if we found issues the owner got a copy so he knew what needed to be addressed and when he did he got to run..

Bunch of shadetree guys teching at our local track as far as I can see...BTW I bet the OP is trying to run at our local track..

Sam
Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
We here have an issue with the local tech inspectors as they do not use a checklist when teching a car..so you go and pay your entry fee and then the tech finds something to fix you go home and fix it go back pay another entry fee and find out there is something else they don't like..Arrrrgh Grrrrrr..Sam
Yeah, that would piss me off too. I remember driving home and putting another set of tires on the front of my truck and coming back to race (didn't have to pay again) because it was kicked back in tech. You just have to go with it, just "get-r-dun"

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Well Mark Niver died recently at our local track because some fool failed to check the attachment of the chutes to his rail..So just maybe some "H" needs to be raised over this issue..

Sam
Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I think it's a good rule..I have watch a few burn to the ground at the end of the track.. And the look on the racer's face wasn't good.. I seen pictures of a street rod.. (Fiber glass car) sitting on side of the road.. burnt to the ground too.. I hate to see people cut corners on safety.. And fuel and brakes is at the top of the list, In my book.. And yes 99.9% of the rules are made because of Deaths.. Sad to say !!!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

And a lot of rules are there to MAKE you do things right like the no covering of welds.
Like all rules, they don't stop the people hell bent on doing something stupid. They found that the 12 inch rule was fine because that allows you to have hose at each end of a steel line that gets the job done. If there was no rule there would be the guy with rubber hose running back to the tank 12 feet long. Do they make it 13 inchs, would that make things better? 12 inches is enough, so they set it at that.

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 03:52 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
We here have an issue with the local tech inspectors as they do not use a checklist when teching a car..so you go and pay your entry fee and then the tech finds something to fix you go home and fix it go back pay another entry fee and find out there is something else they don't like..Arrrrgh Grrrrrr..

Back in the day we had a checklist to follow when inspecting a car and followed that..if we found issues the owner got a copy so he knew what needed to be addressed and when he did he got to run..

Bunch of shadetree guys teching at our local track as far as I can see...BTW I bet the OP is trying to run at our local track..

Sam
Why not just ask them to look it over and tell you what they want changed before you come back, look it all over and tell you what won't pass. Our local track does it if you ask, as long as there isn't a line of people waiting to tech in. If there is just wait an our until the line is long and go back and ask, most guys will be pretty reasonable that way.

Only rule I have a problem with is the 2 year expiration of racing seat belts, but factory originals are good even if 40 years old?? Makes no sense.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Back in the seventies when I was a tech director we had a list.. It was called NHRA RULE BOOK..

!2" of unsupported line rule was in there then. I had to refuse several cars because of it. There are guys that think nothing of running rubber (yes, and the JUNK red tint and clear) lines all over the engine compartment..

Then there the guys that try to pass BEVERAGE tubing off as braided gas line.. Not on my watch!!!

Rules aer there for your safety..

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.