Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Who makes the best oil???
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had been a fan of Mobile 1 for years and it made a real fan for sure not that long ago... I ran a 74 Nova strictly strip with an LS7 454 all roller and was running 10.30`s-10.40`s very consistant... But late one night at Houston Raceway Part, right at the time I crossed the line at 130+mph I smelled something funny (antifreeze) and noticed in my right mirror either smoke or...? I did not hit the brakes which was very smart to do... I went to the 3rd turn off at the very end of the track and kinda babied it back to the time ticket office... It was running alot rougher for sure even with the big roller cam... I made it all the way back to the pits and when I checked it out I found water coming out of the left header... What happened was it broke the head off an exhaust valve and spit it out somewhere...? It punched a hole in the top of the piston and blew out the side of the cylinder wall just slightly it had 2 long cracks running verticle about 3 inches... Now granted it was transfering water right into the oil side of the block but with Mobile 1 15-50wt in the crank case it made it no problems and after $800 and 1 sleeve, 1 new piston & rings and using the same rod and main bearings from before the engine ran exactly the same level of performance which really sold me...

But...! I have also seen Royal Purple run in a Cummings M11 engine for over 1100 hours and still look and feel like good oil and after a change the engine was still running perfect... Also of all the heavy equipment we had at NES that had Royal Purple in it we never lost and engine but cant say the same for the ones running reg mineral oil...

I now assemble and run Royal Purple in all my auto`s... The wife`s new 2005 Corolla S model has 5-30wt and has done as well as 41.4 MPG... My 1999 Silverado 1/2 ton ext cab (5.3ltr) does almost 21 MPG on the highway... The old green truck in the pic`s (432cui BBC) runs 12.5`s @110mph

They all like Royal Purple oil...