Who makes the best oil??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Whats the best brand name, type, and weight of oil with what brand name filter???
Royal Purple 5 23.81%
Mobil 8 38.10%
Castrol 4 19.05%
Valvoline 5 23.81%
5w's 3 14.29%
10w's 7 33.33%
15w's 1 4.76%
0w-30/0w-60 5 23.81%
Mobil filter 3 14.29%
K&N filter 7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 05:47 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last journal entry: My 81 Silverado(SourApple)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who makes the best oil???

Now that Royal Purple is becoming more popular i have a question - Who makes the best oil??? I know of course its mostly a personal opinion as to which motor oil you choose when you go to the auto parts store (so long as its not pennzoil), but i hear that Royal Purple is the best, can anyone support this info from first-hand experience? Im not an oil expert or anything, but i was always told that fully synthetic is the best type of oil to buy, right? And that in the case of 10W-30 the 10 stands for the weight of the oil at cold temperature, and the 30 stands for the weight of the oil at optimum running temperature. I personally use a quart of Lucas oil stabalizer with every oil change i get, and in the case of my chevy 350 i cant seem to make up my mind as to which type, weight, and brand to use. The more strain you put on your motor, the thicker you want your oil, depending on application and use of course, right? In the summer heat you would want a thicker oil, and in the winter cold you would want a thinner oil, right?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 07:07 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

I did a little bit more research, and i came to a conclusion - The best oils available are Royal Purple and Mobile 1, if you want to run synthetic in an older car do so after the motor has been broken in with normal oil, run a good oil filter, and change your oil/filter when needed because not all cars/environments are the same. I want to build a chevy 427 w/ a 8-71 weiand supercharger, after experimenting with different filters/oils in my 350, ill form a conclusion about what should be used in it. More than likely i will use regular mobil 10W-30 for the break in with a K&N/Mobil filter, after the break in and about 7,000 miles ill switch to either Royal Purple or Mobil 1 10W-30 or 10W-40 fully synthetic with a K&N/Mobil filter. I have only one question - isnt it a good thing to keep the sludge out of your engine??? I read that some people like to keep the sludge in their engine, but i was going to have my engine pumped after the 7,000 miles before i switch to synthetic, is this a bad idea???
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

For me, I do like Penzoil. Leary about castrol, which used to be well known for eating gaskets. Royal purple is deffinetly expensive but I'v heard it is good. Just DO not use supertech oil ( wal mart brand ) as it is crap, not good for anything other than oiling a drill bit to go through metal with no sparks/ contained shavings. I do not like synthetic oils, just dosn't work for a lot of things they say it does, and they say once you use it, you cannot go back, that makes me especially leary of using it. Can't put it into a fresh motor because the rings wouldn't seat otherwise. Valvoline is also good. If you got a high milage engine, don't use the high milage stuff, it's virtully the same but with some stop leak added.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
mini me

Last photo:

does anybody search the forums 1st to see if there is a similar thread

anyways w/ all these "oil threads" in here maybe we should put a poll on this one to make it a little different

J
Old 08-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_chevy_guy
I did a little bit more research, and i came to a conclusion - The best oils available are Royal Purple and Mobile 1, if you want to run synthetic in an older car do so after the motor has been broken in with normal oil, run a good oil filter, and change your oil/filter when needed because not all cars/environments are the same. I want to build a chevy 427 w/ a 8-71 weiand supercharger, after experimenting with different filters/oils in my 350, ill form a conclusion about what should be used in it. More than likely i will use regular mobil 10W-30 for the break in with a K&N/Mobil filter, after the break in and about 7,000 miles ill switch to either Royal Purple or Mobil 1 10W-30 or 10W-40 fully synthetic with a K&N/Mobil filter. I have only one question - isnt it a good thing to keep the sludge out of your engine??? I read that some people like to keep the sludge in their engine, but i was going to have my engine pumped after the 7,000 miles before i switch to synthetic, is this a bad idea???
yer not gonna want to run 40 weight in that. Use some sludge remover if you want, don't need to pump the motor. Sludge remover is just kerosene basicly. You pour the quart of the sludge remover in, start the car run it 5 minuites, don't rev it, then shut it off and change the oil.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM

If you want to research oil on a site with lots of opinions as well as tons of hard data go here:
WWW.bobistheoilguy

Peruse through the new oil analysis section as well as the used oil analysis section for some interesting reading.

In my high performance, dyno work and race applications I/we use Shaeffers racing oil. In daily drivers Mobil 1 or Shaeffers synthetic blend. What is the best, it's your decision.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

I had been a fan of Mobile 1 for years and it made a real fan for sure not that long ago... I ran a 74 Nova strictly strip with an LS7 454 all roller and was running 10.30`s-10.40`s very consistant... But late one night at Houston Raceway Part, right at the time I crossed the line at 130+mph I smelled something funny (antifreeze) and noticed in my right mirror either smoke or...? I did not hit the brakes which was very smart to do... I went to the 3rd turn off at the very end of the track and kinda babied it back to the time ticket office... It was running alot rougher for sure even with the big roller cam... I made it all the way back to the pits and when I checked it out I found water coming out of the left header... What happened was it broke the head off an exhaust valve and spit it out somewhere...? It punched a hole in the top of the piston and blew out the side of the cylinder wall just slightly it had 2 long cracks running verticle about 3 inches... Now granted it was transfering water right into the oil side of the block but with Mobile 1 15-50wt in the crank case it made it no problems and after $800 and 1 sleeve, 1 new piston & rings and using the same rod and main bearings from before the engine ran exactly the same level of performance which really sold me...

But...! I have also seen Royal Purple run in a Cummings M11 engine for over 1100 hours and still look and feel like good oil and after a change the engine was still running perfect... Also of all the heavy equipment we had at NES that had Royal Purple in it we never lost and engine but cant say the same for the ones running reg mineral oil...

I now assemble and run Royal Purple in all my auto`s... The wife`s new 2005 Corolla S model has 5-30wt and has done as well as 41.4 MPG... My 1999 Silverado 1/2 ton ext cab (5.3ltr) does almost 21 MPG on the highway... The old green truck in the pic`s (432cui BBC) runs 12.5`s @110mph

They all like Royal Purple oil...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_chevy_guy
Now that Royal Purple is becoming more popular i have a question - Who makes the best oil??? I know of course its mostly a personal opinion as to which motor oil you choose

........... The more strain you put on your motor, the thicker you want your oil, depending on application and use of course, right? In the summer heat you would want a thicker oil, and in the winter cold you would want a thinner oil, right?
That depends..... if you have proper bearing clearances and oil pressure, thin oil will support the oil film in the bearings quite well..... but most of us don't have precise clearances...

As for breaking in engines on synthetic.... I say NO.... even though major manufacturers do it, it depends upon the quality of the honing and the material of the rings used. Most shops are still stuck in the 70s regarding honing techniques... yada yada yada..

check out www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

I ran Royal Purple when it was marketed as MAX OIL. It was not available to the consumer market, industrial customers only. Brazos Valley Racing began to bottle it in quarts and it sold like hot cakes. With in one year Royal Purple began to market to consumers.

The brains behind Royal Purple and its base formula has been doing synthetics since the 70's. I had seen the ION II brand about the time Mobil 1 came out.

I was getting the good buddy deal, $65 for a 5 gallon pail. When that went away I began to use Mobil 1 as it is available at anyplace that sells oil.

Each one is a fine oil. I decided to go back to AMSOIL as I like the long term drain intervals and AMSOIL markets spin on filters that last 6 months or 12,500 miles. I have run 30K+ miles a year on my truck and Constantly having to change the filters every 3k got real old.

I had used AMSOIL previously but quit when a marketing director at the corporate level put me and several other dealers out of business. He is no longer there. I order on the web and have it shipped to my work.

I keep a log book in my truck when I gas, add oil and do any work. That way I do not have to try and remember when I did something. I got less oil consumption when I went to mobil 1 under the same conditions as Royal Purple. I picked up 0.5 mpg when I went to AMSOIL. That actually supprised me. I put 4400 miles on my truck in the 6 weeks after memorial weekend this year and used 1/2 quart of oil. Considering the engine has 221K miles on it, I think using synthetic oil has done me well.

When I first used AMSOIL in 1983, I put it in an S10 with the 2.8 L V6. I gained 22% increase in mileage. In my present truck, I gained 15% in mileage imporvement. When you calculate the cost of the oil, how much money is saved at the gas pump, synthetic oil has proven to be FREE and puts a couple extra $$ in my pocket.

I pull my oil fil plug and show folks the shiny metal underneath the light oil film on the rocker. I am just now begining to show some weepage at the rear main seal which when you consider the mileage on the engine aint too shabby.

www.amsoil.com
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 PM
mini me

Last photo:

c'mon lets have a oil thread w/a poll?

J
Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
For me, I do like Penzoil. Leary about castrol, which used to be well known for eating gaskets. Royal purple is deffinetly expensive but I'v heard it is good. Just DO not use supertech oil ( wal mart brand ) as it is crap, not good for anything other than oiling a drill bit to go through metal with no sparks/ contained shavings. I do not like synthetic oils, just dosn't work for a lot of things they say it does, and they say once you use it, you cannot go back, that makes me especially leary of using it. Can't put it into a fresh motor because the rings wouldn't seat otherwise. Valvoline is also good. If you got a high milage engine, don't use the high milage stuff, it's virtully the same but with some stop leak added.

Super Tech is actually a very good oil in the low/mid price oils. Its made by either Mobil or Shell/Exxon, depending on location.

Here is some good reading on it.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

This thread was mostly to learn some stuff that other threads i searched for didnt contain - Royal Purple & K&N filters. Most other threads didnt talk about royal purple or k&n filters, those are what i really wanted to know about, and for my specific application i was wondering what everybody else would reccomend, having first hand experience. I dont really get into the oil scene too much, but now its got to the point that im needing to learn about it, so thats all i wanna do. I dunno some of this stuff gets a little confusing, i think im just gonna break it in with regular 10w-30 and after about 7,000 miles or so switch to synthetic 10w-30 and just keep that in it. I wanted to get it pumped cause i heard that cleaner doesnt work very well and it'll ruin your oil pump, but i guess if you buy the good stuff you wont have anything to worry, right?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 PM

Wal-Mart Oil

Concerning the Supertech Wal-Mart oil, I personnally contacted the corporate buyer at Wal-Mart to ask who supplied their oil. The answer is Quaker State. You can judge for yourself, but I ran this stuff for 197000 miles in a 4.3 L Chevy engine. At 130000 miles I changed the timing chain and gearset, and there was practically no sludge. At 197000 miles the engine was still not burning any oil, though the compression was starting to fall off. Like I said, judge for yourself, but I've never had any trouble with the stuff.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:36 PM
mini me

Last photo:

i voted mobil 5w 30 cause that what i use in my roadmaster and it runs grrrreat

J
Old 08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

oil of olay

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.