Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Who makes best posi unit and gears
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If you're buying new, I would definitely go with an Eaton Posi.. in fact I just did for one of mine. Quiet, seamless operation, rebuildable, tuneable to act like anything from a really mild limited slip all the way up to almost spool. Most of them come with 400# springs for street, but there are also 800# springs for street strip, then there are different clutch friction materials, fine tuning with lube choices, rock solid proven strength. Hands down my choice is Eaton.

I've had good luck with Precision gear and Motive gear, but most of my builds are street performance; no huge shock loads from drag racing, just 350-hp street screamers. They're both a budget kinda gear, but they're quiet. I've also heard lots about Richmond gears being noisy, but the two I've driven had no whine at all. Maybe they're just more finnicky about being set up right. Regardless of noise, they are said to be some of the highest quality/strongest gears.

If you want new and you want really good stuff, consider your GM parts counter. GM gears are top notch stuff. You know (if set up right) they won't whine because in their stock applications you can't have a Buick whine when your customers are 75 years old and expect perfection under warranty