who needs those HIGH $$$ steering joints, not me! ! ! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

MORE PIC's - - who needs those HIGH $$$ steering joints, not me! ! !

as everyone knows i'm one cheap SOB when it come to building my rides, always was & always will be. with then help of family, friends & great deals i have been able to keep my cost really down on Large Marge && here's just another example of what a cheap SOB i am. i love to go to the boneyards to find stuff to help cut the cost on everything & here's one of my good finds.
over the years i have collected different GM FWD & Chevy Astro Van steering joints all using the Double D shafts & tubes.

This is off a fullsize FWD GM car & this 1/2 is attached on the column

not a clear pic but this end will except a double D Tube

This Double D Tube will except a double D shaft.

This is what one looks like before you take it apart

This is 1/2 of the Astro Van steering shaft.

These are easily found on I believe every GM trucks & RWD cars. You'll get about 6inches of Double "D" tube & about 12inches of shaft(LMAO)

This is the lowwer part of a Chevy Astro Van steering joint && the BIGG plus is that it has a vibration damper built in. I also drill a spot in the double D shaft so I could use a set screw & jam nut to hold everything in place.

I'm using 1/2 FWD GM & 1/2 Chevy Astro Van steering joints to make up the steering joint going through the firewall. The piece of pipe you see coming out of the firewall is an exhaust pipe reducer. I cut the end of a steering column off w/the bearing & welded the piece of tubing(that holds the bearing) into the exhaust reducer. I did it for extra support & to help seal the cab from exhaust fumes.

Using a FWD steering column the male part of the steering joint going through an Exhaust pipe reducer.

This shows the complete set up. All that needs to be done is to weld or bolt the piece of pipe that holds the Hiem Joint to the frame. The reason for the hiem joint is the steering column bearing that I used on the outside of the firewall to help support everything isn't a snug fit & this is one place OVERKILL is a good idea.

if for some reason the pics dont show up look on THIS PAGE it the last page in my Large Marge pics on Webshots

Last edited by TooMany2count; 02-01-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Looking good! Thanks for the info....now we can all save some money.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Wiki Edits: 7314

TooMany2count -- can I add this to the wiki? I can do all the typing, but I need your permission to use the webshots photos.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
TooMany2count -- can I add this to the wiki? I can do all the typing, but I need your permission to use the webshots photos.

Jon look at it all & u can use anything u want from my webshot pages that u deem useable, it would be my pleasure to be able to help save folks some $$$$$$$$ & give them ideas on how & what to do. ...joe
Old 01-31-2007, 06:45 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That is not to bad at all! I would trust that more than the rag joint on my camaro!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:10 PM

Thanks TooMany2count -- here's the article: Steering shaft assemblies from junkyard parts.

Please look it over to make sure I got it right. You (or anyone else) can feel free to edit or add to it at any time.

I'm trying to get us in "the wiki habit", and hopefully this is a good chance for people to see how easy it is to turn a good post into a permanent article that we can add to or update whenever we want.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 PM

looks fine to me, BUT i will try to get a couple of better pic's of the blurry ones. i will also take it all apart & get a complete break down pic of everything along w/showing how to make the piece going through the fire wall...joe
Old 01-31-2007, 09:33 PM

OK -- great, thanks again. I tried to do an "edge sharpening" on the one blurry pic, but there's only so much you can do with that.

Let me know if you need a hand with any of the wiki functions, uploading, etc.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
OK -- great, thanks again. I tried to do an "edge sharpening" on the one blurry pic, but there's only so much you can do with that.

Let me know if you need a hand with any of the wiki functions, uploading, etc.

will do.................

i also wonder how many readers realize that i'm using a '93 Buick Park Ave FWD steering column w/a stock cable shifter w/this set up????? my webshot page on Large Marge shows it all in the last 2-3 pages of the album...joe
Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

TooMany2count and Jon - Thanks for the info!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 PM

made corrections brought to my attention

here's a couple more pic's of everything...joe

Frome left to right.. 1st steering joint goes to the steering box, this is the lowwer half of a Chevy Astro Van & has the same splines as the S10 steering box I'm using. 2nd is a piece of double D tubing which connects the 1st steering joint to a piece of double D shaft w/a piece of double D tube attached to it which goes to a steering joint. As you can tell everything has been drilled & tapped for set screws & lock nuts for safety.

As you can see both the Double D shaft & tube has be drilled & tapped for set screws & jam nuts for safety. Personally I believe this is a must.

From left to right. 1st is the double D shaft & tube w/the tube having a set screw & jam nut. 2nd is the outer steering joint w/a lowwer steering column bearing attached which goes into the tube that is coming out of the firewall to help hold the hold everything(EXTRA SAFETY) You can't see it but it also has a set screw & nut on the double D tube. Also I'm adding a set screw & jam nut to the opposite side of the locking bolt for added safety. 3rd is the inner steering joint that attaches to the column on the inside of the cab. 4th Last but not least is the bottom of the 93 Buick Park Ave steering column that I'm using.

This is how I mounted the Hiem Joint to the frame. I simply took a piece of pipe & mounted the Hiem Joint to it by welding a jam nut to the pipe & then had a friend chuck it in his lathe & clean up my weld. Then I took some angle iron & made a mount to bolt it to the frame.

As you can see everything is bolted together & looks good. It may look like the steering shaft is touching the exhaust manifold but really it's about an inch away from it. The upper joint is almost 2 inches away from the manifolds.

Be sure that you have some space between your Hiem Joint & any tubing you are using. You need this for body & frame flex so the shaft can side with in the Hiem Joint if it needs to.

As you can see the steering is complete w/a Hiem Joint to secure everything along w/the set screws & lock nuts for added safety............ PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASEEEEE be sure to check any used parts that you do use on your own projects for wear & defects along w/adding set screws & jam nuts w/lock tight for that added safety. REMEMBER that this is one place that SAFETY OVERKILL is a good thing.

i dont want someone to hurt themselves & if there is ANY DOUBT in their minds whether or not a USED part is still good enough to use or they don't have the knowledge how to check for wear/defects then by all means buy a new parts

Last edited by TooMany2count; 02-04-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 PM

OK, I've updated the article, and added the safety information at the top: http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/...junkyard_parts

Feel free to edit, add to, or update it at any time.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

I'm going to use a steering column from a Chevy Astro. I have a complete column included joints, pipes and shaft all the way down to the stering box.

It will be used on a 34 Ford with a manual Mustang II steering rack. The steering pin dimension on the rack is 9/16-26 splines.

Can any of you help me with what I need in addition to my Astro parts?
Will the Astro/S10 steering joint fit on my Mustang II manual rack?

On my setup I will probably be needing 3 u joints total: One on the rack, on in the lower end of the column and one between.
Then I must of course have a support somewhere near the u joint in the middle.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

What would be a good way to make this into a slip joint for a collapsable column effect in case of a crash?
I'd like to see 8" of collapse.

My car is a rear steer with a solid shaft and rag joint.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

Isn't the Astro column collapsable already?
And with a total of 3 u joints between the rack and column It would probably collaps pretty much anyway?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.