Who sells Dropped Center Links? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 03:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Who sells Dropped Center Links?

Hello, I'm new to this board, and I'm from Connecticut. I have a 1970 chevelle SS clone. The oil pan on my 632 C.I. engine had to be made so deep to clear the connecting rod caps because of the massive 4.75" stroke, that the steering linkage center Link ( aka "Drag Link") won't clear the oil pan.

So before I go ahead and heat this thing up with a torch and try to bend it enough to put more of a drop in it, can anyone here tell me of any place that offers dropped center links for GM A-body cars ??? It looks like I'll likely need an additional 1.5" of drop in the center Link. I already had to cut the crossmember to make room for this monster, and I now have the engine installed. below are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70SShomeFR.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	14737   Click image for larger version

Name:	632&headersLEFT.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	14738   Click image for larger version

Name:	CMcut1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	14739   Click image for larger version

Name:	CMcut2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	14740   Click image for larger version

Name:	CMweld1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	14741  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

...here's more....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massive block.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	14742   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pan sideshot.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	14743   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIGmeats1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	14744  
Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I would be more inclined to go to a different pitman arm and relocate the idler arm................I am no steering expert, so I may get shot down here.

Budget RVs
Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I would be more inclined to go to a different pitman arm and relocate the idler arm................I am no steering expert, so I may get shot down here.
Naw, I won't shoot you down so to speak, but I must point out that although I appreciate your effort to be of help to me, I Had already previously found and ordered a pitman arm with more of a drop, which is for a Jeep Wrangler, and i had also planned on relocating the mounting holes in the frame for the idler arm just as you've explained.

But I learned from others that the problem with that is that I would be changing the angle of the tie rods, and they would no longer be parallel to the lower control arms, which would create a lot of bump steer according to what I'm being told. Having the steering move from left to right while negotiating every bump in the road doesn't sound fun to me, so that would be out. And having more of a drop in the center link instead would be better since that wouldn't change the angle of the tie rods.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman
But I learned from others that the problem with that is that I would be changing the angle of the tie rods...which would create a lot of bump steer...
This is true.

Do your tie rods go into the steering arm on the knuckle from the top or the bottom? If they go in from the top you could move them to the bottom. You would have to weld up part of the hole and use a tapered reamer (most likely 1-1/2 inch taper per foot) to ream the other side. I have also known people that have had tapered inserts made to fill the existing hole and either brazed or loc-tited them in before reaming from the other side.

Also I think Global West ( www.globalwest.net ) uses a custom center link for their 12" disc conversions...but it might have been another car and their website is being updated right now so I can't double check for you. You might try giving them a call.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaged
This is true.

Do your tie rods go into the steering arm on the knuckle from the top or the bottom? If they go in from the top you could move them to the bottom. You would have to weld up part of the hole and use a tapered reamer (most likely 1-1/2 inch taper per foot) to ream the other side. I have also known people that have had tapered inserts made to fill the existing hole and either brazed or loc-tited them in before reaming from the other side.

Also I think Global West ( www.globalwest.net ) uses a custom center link for their 12" disc conversions...but it might have been another car and their website is being updated right now so I can't double check for you. You might try giving them a call.
Maybe I'll give them a call, but I just looked in their new catalog lastnight and I didn't find any dropped center links. And the tie rods on my car unfortunately attach to the bottom of the steering knuckle. But thanks for brainstorming for me pal.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

You have bolt on steering arms right? If so these would lower the outer tie rod end. You would have to call them to find out how much.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/susp20.htm
Old 09-10-2006, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Thankyou!! I'll give them a call.....hopefully all there stuff isn't just for Camaros, Mustangs & Novas. That's usually the case with many places...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.