A Whole New Paint Job - What's The Correct Process? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A Whole New Paint Job - What's The Correct Process?

First off,I'm sure that there are MANY "correct" ways to do a paint job.But,which one is the most reliable and cost-effective?I doubt that there is anything in between those two margins.So,what's the best to go with?

I want to do my body work after the drivetrain work,but before the interior.So that puts me close to the finish of my rod.I might even save all of the body work for the last.The only problem is,I might just enjoy driving it so much that I won't even do the body work .I guess that I'll just have to lock up the keys .Anyway,here's what my project consists of..

Either a 1973 or 1974 Ford Pinto 2 Door Runabout.

Built into a small-car hotrod,made for the street and the strip.

This car has a decent body on it at the moment.Some rust,but nothing major.Maybe a little Bondo work in store also.None the less,nothing major.So now the questions start.

1) Should I sandblast down to the bare metal,do the bondo work,primer,paint,and clearcoat?

2) Should I sandblast down to the bare metal,coat the body with a rust-resistant metal sealer,bondo,primer,paint,and clearcoat?

3) Should I sandblast the body down to a nice,smooth surface,bondo,primer,paint,and clearcoat?

4) Or,do I have it all wrong from the start?

5) Could you reccomend some good choices of sealers,primers,paints,and clearcoats?What is the best choice of Dent Filler or Bondo to use?

6) I've heard of this product called "Metal-Etch" (sp).What is it and what does it do?

I'm not really a body guy..I just mostly like to work with drivetrains and drive the rods themselves.The thing is,I don't want to pay a professional price for something that I can do with a little practice and knowledge about what I'm attempting.If someone could tell me a good procedure to go with,I would be greatly appreciative.I'm not looking forward to this part of the project,but,I just don't want to throw on a few coats of primer and make it look cheap.It may be a Pinto,but I do want it to look decent.I do like to see a nice rat running around here and there .

Anyway,I've talked your ears off on this subject.I guess what I need to do is research.But,I do need someone to lead me in the right direction,even though there are alot of "correct" ways to go .

Thanks.

Nightrain

Advertisement

Last edited by nightrain_rod; 11-28-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 08:03 PM

You might look into one of these videos being sold at: www.paintucation.com He sells one that shows how to paint a car from A to Z and I've heard very good things about these videos. I learned about him watching "Trucks TV" on TNN when the host mentioned how good the tapes were. I haven't bought one yet but will soon.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks jemo.I'll check into that.

Nightrain
Old 11-29-2003, 06:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Two things to keep in mind.

First be very careful about sand blasting. Anything newer than the late 50's will have metal that could easily warp when blasted if not done carefully. Media blasting would be much better.

Second, pick a paint brand and stick with it. Don't mix and match primers, sealers, base and clear coats. Modern paints cure by chemical reaction and each brand is formulated to work together and won't necessarily work well with another brand.

Good luck,

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemls.com
Old 11-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks Centerline.Media blasting..I'll bet that it costs more than just regular "sand blasting" wouldn't it?I don't believe that I have a compressor that delivers enough punch to warp some metal.But who knows..I'll be as careful as I can.Thanks for the tips.I think that I'm going to probably go with NAPA Paints.Good idea or not?

Nightrain
Old 11-29-2003, 09:50 PM

Actually, it's been said that a smaller compressor can be worse due to the fact you concentrate on an area longer. I would get a gallon of aircraft stripper and go to town. Less mess, noise, and no wear/tear on the compressor.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip.I think that I'm going to stick with sandblasting though.But who knows..

Nightrain
Old 11-30-2003, 12:14 AM

Last photo:

JC is Right Nightrain I'd do the stripper First. Unless you have a good supply of sand the strriper will be much cheaper.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:01 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If the original paint is in decent condition I would recommend leaving it in place... Factory paint is a good base so just DA it down with 320 grit on a soft pad and shoot it with primer surfacer... After you get all of the other body work done block the car a couple of times to flatten it out and fix any small dents and it will be ready for top coat... If you have any other questions just ask...
Mark

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.